Sign in to follow this  
Coldheat

MegaSceneryEarth Ohio 2.0

Wanted to share some more MegaSceneryEarth shots this time from Ohio....I hope to show the good and the not so good in all my screenshots I love the MSE series but it does come with its annoyances, at least for me...Then again even GTX and UTX has things that annoy me as well...Its not the fault of PC Aviator by no means...Anyway lets see some cool screenshots.

This one is over Youngstown looking north...to the right you can see Pennsylvania MSE 2.0... color differences are obvious but I kind of like that I can distinguish between the state borders so its not a big deal...

Youngstown.jpg

Here is Toledo heading east with the default Michigan to the North and lake Eire off in the distant...not a bad shot here. Toledo is one of the better areas in MSE Ohio.

Toledo.jpg

Flying west in north east Ohio you can see the Perry Nuclear Power Plant which feeds North East Ohio and Cleveland...

Perry.jpg

A shot from central Ohio showing that the colors don't always mesh well...many reasons for this can be attributed to the time of day the photo was taken to different time of the year, different cameras etc...

NotPerfectInOhio.jpg

Flying east over home town of Ashtabula.... Pennsylvania is in the distance...

Ashtabula.jpg

Flying over Cincinnati and the Ohio river....

Cinncinatti.jpg

Hopkins International Airport in Cleveland....

Hopkins.jpg

Flying over Burke Lake Airport in Cleveland...

Cleveland.jpg

Over Columbus with downtown in the upper left.

Columbus.jpg

Last one here flying across the Ohio river from Parkersburg WV into Marietta and I77....

MariettaI77.jpg

Lovely shots, this photoscenery thing is starting to grow on me!

Very nice. I haven't bought any "Yankee" states yet, but it looks like there's a lot going on in Ohio! I got a discount coupon in my email, so it might be time to venture north of I-40. Very interesting sceneries. Thanks for posting these.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

I have bought the first13 of these new MegaSceneryEarth States and I will no longer purchase any more. The product isn't worth it. Why you ask? First of all, there is a Green Neon Overlay on each State. It looks like you are flying in an Alien World. Second, There is 0% Water Masking. All large and small Lakes are Black! The Rivers are all Dark Brown or a Sick Dark Green. The developer is releasing these 2.0 States as fast as he can to make a quick buck and to heck with a quality product. I flew each State I purchased and was VERY disappointed in his work. He did go back and rectify 3 States, now called MASSACHUSETTS, MARYLAND and NEW JERSEY 2.1 and removed the Green Neon Overlay, which was an improvement, but he still didn't fix the problem of the absence of WATER MASKING! Until WATER MASKING is included with this product, the product is just not worth the price he is asking for it. The original MegaSceneryEarth X was better than this product, because it included Water Masking. IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE!

I have bought the first13 of these new MegaSceneryEarth States and I will no longer purchase any more. The product isn't worth it. Why you ask? First of all, there is a Green Neon Overlay on each State. It looks like you are flying in an Alien World. Second, There is 0% Water Masking. All large and small Lakes are Black! The Rivers are all Dark Brown or a Sick Dark Green. The developer is releasing these 2.0 States as fast as he can to make a quick buck and to heck with a quality product. I flew each State I purchased and was VERY disappointed in his work. He did go back and rectify 3 States, now called MASSACHUSETTS, MARYLAND and NEW JERSEY 2.1 and removed the Green Neon Overlay, which was an improvement, but he still didn't fix the problem of the absence of WATER MASKING! Until WATER MASKING is included with this product, the product is just not worth the price he is asking for it. The original MegaSceneryEarth X was better than this product, because it included Water Masking. IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE!

Hi there,

In regard to water masking, I am afraid you are simply wrong there. MSE 2.0 does indeed feature water masking. If you are not seeing that, then you have a problem somwehere in your FSX install, or another product interfering with it. There is indeed water masking in MSE 2.0 states. Re the coloration of some state sceneries, this is due to the source imagery primarily. Those v2.1 states you mention have indeed been updated with brand new, better quality imagerythat we have just recently been able to source, hence why these states have better color. MSE 2.0 is limited by the current available source image quality, but as better quality imagery becomes available, we are offering existing customers of those states, free upgrades. But I would be looking again at your FSX install, because, for the record, MegaSceneryEarth 2.0 DOES feature water masking :)

Dean
Manager - PC Aviator Australia

Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories

A shot from central Ohio showing that the colors don't always mesh well...many reasons for this can be attributed to the time of day the photo was taken to different time of the year, different cameras etc...

First off, thanks for the extended tour. I have installed OH but have not yet had time to explore it.

Now to the quote-I have noticed the same effect in WV and VA and put it down to exactly the same reasons as you pointed out. Either I'm right (how nice for a change) or we're both dead wrong. lol Perhaps PC Aviator will comment??

Yes, photoreal seems to have become the hot trick. I have just installed a 2Tb WD Black HDD just so I'll have unlimited space for it. Thanks again :-)

In the fourth image, noticing the lack of color blending actually took a few seconds, as I was distracted by the great complexity and detail of the scenery!

Now to the quote-I have noticed the same effect in WV and VA and put it down to exactly the same reasons as you pointed out. Either I'm right (how nice for a change) or we're both dead wrong. lol Perhaps PC Aviator will comment??

Yes, photoreal seems to have become the hot trick. I have just installed a 2Tb WD Black HDD just so I'll have unlimited space for it. Thanks again :-)

Yes, you are correct :) MegaSceneryEarth 2.0 is not derived from one single, massive image. It is a collection of a lot of aerial photos, sometimes taken at different times of days, by different cameras, and so on... Then basically, the best of the photos for each area is compiled together to provide the source image. So you will get color changes in some areas that are noticeable, but for most states, the color variation in the states is minimal. MSE 2.0 New York probably has the widest variation in this regard - hopefully better data becomes available soon for that one. Other states like New Hampshire and Vermont are VERY consistent with hardly any noticeable color variation. In some states, there are even resolution changes in smaller areas where the higher resolution imagery was not available. It's a limitation of using/producing photoscenery on such large scales, no doubt about it. But the good thing is that the source imagery is always getting better, and as better imagery becomes available for a state, we are upgrading those states and releasing them to existing customers of those states at no charge. Massachussets, Maryland and New Jersey are the first three to be updated with new better quality imagery... More states will follow as soon as the better source data becomes available.

Dean

Been flying Florida till the snow melts. Any photo scenery gonna have color issues with it, Spring time photos gonna vary as Spring time starts later northern states like Michigan and Wisconsin.

I recently purchased MegaScenery 2 Virginia and it adds nothing that I can't achieve using GEX and FS Genesis.

And for a lot less money and disk space.

I recently purchased MegaScenery 2 Virginia and it adds nothing that I can't achieve using GEX and FS Genesis.

Disagree, think GEX looks horrible, supposed to dial down detail settings for terrain to 30. Know photo ariel not for everyone, but GEX does not give the sense of realism every place looks the same

FSGenesis and GEX gives you photo-real scenery? Are you sure your Virginia scenery was activated in FSX and you were actually seeing it correctly? There should be a noticeable difference indeed. You should be seeing real scenery with MSE 2.0, not repeating generated texture tiles with GEX and other similar products... Post a screenshot from within Virginia so we can check for you!

Been flying Florida till the snow melts. Any photo scenery gonna have color issues with it, Spring time photos gonna vary as Spring time starts later northern states like Michigan and Wisconsin.

Take a flight into the western edges of the Florida Everglades... Some amazing variety of "land" and scenery down there in MSE 2.0.

Dean

FSGenesis and GEX gives you photo-real scenery? Are you sure your Virginia scenery was activated in FSX and you were actually seeing it correctly? There should be a noticeable difference indeed.

+1

One of the things I like most about photoreal is that what you are seeing is (duh) real. As good as GEX and UTX are (I have both installed) is being able to see the real world in its never ending variety. Flights (low & slow of course) become a never ending Easter egg hunt.

If your flights are always up in the flight levels you are missing the point of photoreal, IMHO.

At a minimum, I'd say your photoreal is not activated, but it seems there are other problems there too. But those are beyond me. Is your MSE VA visible as a line item and checked (activated in your add-on scenery library) and near/at the top of the add-ons list--definitely above GEX and other programs of that type?? Although I can't show you a screenie at this time, I've recently flown over Roanoke (we live semi-near there) and it doesn't look like that at all.