Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Brand New to XP x64 Full Ver

I just edited my post above... looks like we might have just missed each other

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi Ryan,

I am not a real world pilot, so hearing from you is always interesting. I have sunk enough money in FSX, but now I stopped. Yesterday I did a flight with the Level-D 767 (FSX) from CYOW to CYVR and just for fun, I enable ORBX PNW. What happened, you ask? stutters on approach to Vancouver and at 14000 FT! I lowered autogen removed all road traffics set the sliders to the left, and still stutters. At that altitude autogen should not even matter. I am now looking seriously at XP10, but I have no idea if XP10 is going to also have these annoying stutters. They really destroy a good flight. Do let us know how your experience turns out.

Regards

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Hi Ryan,

I am not a real world pilot, so hearing from you is always interesting. I have sunk enough money in FSX, but now I stopped. Yesterday I did a flight with the Level-D 767 (FSX) from CYOW to CYVR and just for fun, I enable ORBX PNW. What happened, you ask? stutters on approach to Vancouver and at 14000 FT! I lowered autogen removed all road traffics set the sliders to the left, and still stutters. At that altitude autogen should not even matter. I am now looking seriously at XP10, but I have no idea if XP10 is going to also have these annoying stutters. They really destroy a good flight. Do let us know how your experience turns out.

Regards

xplane has no stutters or pop-in scenery like trees/buildings. It's all smooth!

The runways and the way they follow the contour of the scenery is over-exaggerated. The sloped runway thing could be cool but it's excessive and not realistic. I drove down KDLH's big runway in a truck in real life and the runway doesn't go up and down as much as the XP version does. I see what LR is trying to do but it needs to be toned down.

Which is why it was decided to leave them flattened in FSX. There is just too much spacing between the elevation points. Some end up impressive while others end up like a wild roller coaster...............and nearly impossible to take off from. An example is a runway that's graded into the mountainside close to home. In XP, it not only has too much up & down, but it tilts sideways too. In real life, it's quite flat, with just a few feet of elevation change.

xplane has no stutters or pop-in scenery like trees/buildings. It's all smooth!

It's smooth until your fps drop. That's the one thing I've noticed. It's not so much a stutter but when I look in a direction with more scenery the fps decrease and you can tell. Then again I run high settings with high AA.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ryan

Hi and welcome, I too was an FSX early adopter but finally dumped it off my HD as i was just getting fed up with stutters, low framerates, OOM's and CTD's. Most of which where unexplained no matter how many times I interrogated the event viewer, I'm no slouch when it comes to tech and over the years had built up somewhat of a rep as a go to guy regarding FSX and hardware. I beta tested all sorts of software for FSX but I just got really p***** with FSX.

I have been using Xplane10 since MAY of 2012 and I have to say that straight out of the box there is no comparison with FSX what so ever. Xplane is just way ahead of FSX. Ok there might not be scenery for every airport in the world but you can build your own. In all other regards I would say Xplane is a winner hands down.

The first time I did a tip stall in a Cessna I knew I was experiencing something really quite different.

Get the default Phantom F4 out and do some hotdogging, very cool, go vertical have a look at the afterburner effect, climb to 60k and have a look outside. All very nice. I have been a simmer for more years than I care to remember and never throughout all that time was I even bothered about scenery development. If I wanted an airport I would buy it. I have a heavy £ investment in FSX, but it was time to make the jump to the future. Now I build an airport, far more gratifying and one has a sense of ownership and pride especially when you upload to the org and get over a few hundred downloads. It makes you feel kind of good.

One thing I will say, and to qoute Yoda, "you must unlearn what you have learned", nothing about FSX can be applied to Xplane, it's a whole new world waiting for you. Put the FPS counter away its the devils instrument anyway and will drve you mad, as I always say if it looks good to you then it, and you only need 24 fps anyway.

Adjust your settings accordingly don't go crazy and put everything to max it won't work.

All the best

Enjoy.

Wycliffe

It's smooth until your fps drop.

Perhaps a new Ivy Bridge -E w/ 12 cores, 32GB of DDR3 quad channel, and a nV Titan GPU w/ 6GB of GDDR5 on a 384-bit bus could help mitigate this? We can only hope!

I have been using Xplane10 since MAY of 2012 and I have to say that straight out of the box there is no comparison with FSX what so ever. Xplane is just way ahead of FSX.

That's great to hear and encouraging. I'm aware FSX is a dead end and am hoping something better will emerge and XP sounds at least hopeful.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I presume you mean XP10 out of the box compared to FSX out of the box. I would agree for the most part (especially considering XP10 is about 5-ish years newer than FSX RTM). But XP10 lacks buildings at default airports and it's quite annoying. Also the plastered-on autogen isn't really cutting it for me.

XP10 needs some better landclass organization too. I've got random tall buildings plastered around my home city...some neighborhoods are in the right spot some not even close.

I'll give XP10 credit for bringing out the x64 code and amazing night lighting.... weather is excellent (imho on par with OPUS for FSX). Also for the use of the video processing over FSX's typically CPU-oriented code. I think it's got a ways to go to beat out FSX and all the awesome addons I've got.

Unlike you I've only had a poor experience with the stock C172. A "nervous" little thing... nothing like in real life. I've been told I need to experience payware and I've got no problem with that as most of my FSX planes are payware too.

Also I'm having some problems with my settings. With no AA in HDR mode performance is smooth but game looks like FS98 and jaggies all over the place. With 2x FXAA+SSAA jaggies near my plane are much much better but in scenery looking away from plane still quite jaggy and the distance is extremely shimmery. With higher AA settings obviously jaggies and shimmers go away but at a huge performance cost. I'm posting my current settings and would like some suggestions on what to change... as my fps (even though I don't know what they are) are pretty low... probably around 15 if I had to guess. I'm flying in sunny socal (near KCNO) with clear skies. Should I be using Nvidia Inspector instead?

P.s. I don't agree with the typical "24 FPS." The human eye can see far more than that. I prefer 1/2 the monitor refresh rate as a minimum.... so in FSX it was 30 locked. 60 is nice too.

xpnoAA.jpg

xpno2xAA.jpg

2x AA HDR settings

xpno2xAAsettings.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Wow Ryan, that sounds like it's still got a ways to go. Odd re autogen and airport buildings. Is it poised for a 3rd party product to handle this?

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I realize one person's opinion will differ between the MSFS fanbois (me) and XP fanbois (lol)...

But the autogen for me can be great in spots, but overall it just feels tacky. Reason being XP10 appears to have just a few buildings that are large sized and different textures. In FSX, it was sort of similar but the landclass seems so much better. In XP you'll find groups of these same textured-buildings in a few random spots all over the city. If you've been to any major city you know for the most part the city center has all the big buildings. IDK some just seem out of place. I enjoy the realism of the textures and the incredible night lit roads and moving cars with night headlights (seriously VFR night flight is so good I got lost last night on Pilot Edge...the dark areas are DARK... not that fake FSX textured semi-lit ground. I may just fly this sim strictly at night)

There is some OSM scenery for North America. I presume OSM is similar to landclass in that the data comes from Open Street Map source... actually OSM is probably closer to UTX USA than landclass... not sure though. There are specific OSM sceneries for big cities which I hear make them look true to life. Something FSX could never do unless you did photoreal. But these large areas aren't available, at least from what I can tell, in the US.

Here's where I got mine from:

http://simheaven.com/?page_id=23

It appears the author has some detailed areas for EU but I can't find anything for big cities in North America.

You know, I think it is ready to accept some big 3rd party upgrade like UTX or Orbx. I think some devs are afraid of the constant motion in XP10 though. 3PD is another reason why I'm still skeptical. There are professional outfits like Leading Edge Simulations and JRollon making some beautiful planes. But a lot of the payware is so basic... ugh the looks of the models are almost FS2000 style for me. And I know, lots of users just fly 2D cockpits with physical hardware with some amazing flight modeling. Well I don't have all that and I won't be getting that (Though a good radio stack is now on my list cause I can't stand the radio clickspot issues). The 3PD scene is just tiny compared to FSX... but MSFS has been around for a long time, with a larger userbase, therefore more devs putting time and money into addons.

Like I said above... huge pluses to XP10

x64 Code

Night Flying

GPU offload to the engine...my video card fan actually turns lol!

Some say the flight model, but I've not experienced this glorious "kills-fsx-FM" yet... I'll probably check out Goran's (LES) Duchess or something

HDR light rendering... it's like Lotus lights in XP10 stock :)

Weather - IMC means you can't see anything in and out of clouds. FSX's OPUS does this for ground layers but not higher layers

"Moving Code" with constant development...

Huge cons imho:

Lack of mouse wheel support for knob manipulation

Odd autogen

Poorly implemented landclass if they call it landclass

Shimmering scenery in the distance, somewhat cured by high in-game AA but with huge loss of performance

AI traffic (planes) just random planes all over the airports.... 3rd party could tap this I bet

"Moving" Code updates keeping some 3PD's away

Sorry if some of this post was not as tactful as I'd hope to be...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

P.s. I don't agree with the typical "24 FPS." The human eye can see far more than that. I prefer 1/2 the monitor refresh rate as a minimum.... so in FSX it was 30 locked. 60 is nice too.

Stay away from HDR and you will definitely see the difference. I have a GX 560TI 448 cores and with HDR a 50% drop in performance, with HDR off I have yet to see low fps, most of the time I'm in the 40's and on heavy areas 30's. I do have Roads set to default as my CPU is not that powerful.

XPX is soooo smooth that its the only flight sim on my hard drive now. I even got a hold of a WD VelociRapor dedicated to XP only.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I want the HDR stuff for the night lighting though...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Regarding Scenery:

(It's one of my pet interests with X-Plane)

Landuse Data - This tells X-Plane what type of autogen to put where. It's sourced from various databases worldwide and rolled into the underlying scenery file by Andras (AlPilotX). It is currently not editable by end-users like you and I, and no SDK currently exists to assist 3rd party developers into this realm. We are dependent on Laminar Research to update landuse information and "bake" it into the main scenery files. With that being said, we're given to believe that the landuse data in X-Plane is as accurate as the databases allow, and it's the autogen artwork/models which need the tweaking - not the landuse data.

OpenStreetMap Data - Circa mid-2011, OSM data is used ONLY for roads, rails, and water. There is no "land use" data pulled from OSM such as "this is a city, this is industrial, this is a park..." - that's handled separately via the databases mentioned in the first bullet. OSM data is also rolled into the underlying scenery files by Andras and is also not editable by end-users. We are dependent on Laminar Research to update roads, rails, and most disappointingly water information and "bake" it into the main scenery files.

X-Plane is a decidedly more closed environment when comparing it against MSFS in aspects of worldwide scenery. While airports and buildings/landmarks are open and vibrant with 3rd party work, other key elements (landuse, roads, rail, water) are all locked down out of reach.

That said, I believe that ongoing development in the autogen world is continuing. Those multi-story "Russian" apartment buildings which pop up 1/4 mile off the end of a small town runway should someday go away, but I have NO idea how they'll handle city centers. Laminar has repeatedly stated they are creating "plausible" cities, and seem to accept the fact that 99.9% of all cities don't look remotely like their real world counterparts... they merely look "like a city".

-Greg

I hear you, but unfortunately with my current setup, I can't trade fpm for night lighting.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I'll check it out at night without HDR again... I'm still a baby with this whole thing.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |