Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Brand New to XP x64 Full Ver

I'm not nitpicking, but if we're going to say that "this blows FSX away", then let's inject a dose of reality.

Boy, I don't get the sense from anyone XP10 blows FSX away as it stands now. What XP10 does do is unlock potential for future development in a way FSX can't, but maybe P3D will. 64-bit code eliminates the memory limit involved, plus from my understanding multicore utilization is far superior such that the more cores you add, even the more video ram and cuda cores (if I got that right) you add, the better performance you will get. With Ivy Bridge coming along soon (12-cores?) and nV Titan GTX w/ 6GB of GDDR5 ram on a 384-bit interface this obviates the need for complex cooling solutions and overclocking to the point of instability, and this itself keeps users away from FSX who might not know how or want to deal w/ that piece. I think it's the headroom and scalability in XP10 64-bit that blows FSX away.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Maybe that's the reason CD/DVD/BD emulators exist

BTW, having to keep your DVD disc 1 in the drive is so 2005. Really? REALLY??? Go to FlexLM licensing and do away with this. I don't want the USB dongle either. Extra cost.

Boy, I don't get the sense from anyone XP10 blows FSX away as it stands now. What XP10 does do is unlock potential for future development in a way FSX can't, but maybe P3D will. 64-bit code eliminates the memory limit involved, plus from my understanding multicore utilization is far superior such that the more cores you add, even the more video ram and cuda cores (if I got that right) you add, the better performance you will get. With Ivy Bridge coming along soon (12-cores?) and nV Titan GTX w/ 6GB of GDDR5 ram on a 384-bit interface this obviates the need for complex cooling solutions and overclocking to the point of instability, and this itself keeps users away from FSX who might not know how or want to deal w/ that piece. I think it's the headroom and scalability in XP10 64-bit that blows FSX away.

With respect, I beg to differ in how people (users and devs) present XP10 as a current "best simulator". How many posts have you read that state (practically verbatim) that "I'm removing FSX from my computer; XP10 is the greatest!"? Granted, it has the potential to be "the next best thing". Even on XP10's web page, it's referred to as "most realistic". It is not the "most realistic". Eye candy, maybe. All of the issues I referred to in my post above exist in previous versions; I'd like to see them fix the small issues before tackling the big ones. However, to clarify my position, I think that FSX has serious issues as well and that we've pretty much ran the gamut of what can be done to improve it. The new add-ons are nice, and without them FSX would really fail to impress. By no means am I saying that FSX is "the greatest", either,

BTW, ATI has currently-affordable 384 bit cards on the market now in their 79XX series. Ivy Bridge has heat issues and the next Intel hardware generation will probably be the true replacement for Sandy Bridge.

I fully agree with you that XP10 has the scalability and headroom to become the "next best thing", and hope that it does it.

Maybe that's the reason CD/DVD/BD emulators exist

That's a hack and shouldn't be necessary.

Start to learn the ropes of x-plane and it seems in complexity of modding like other games dealt with not too easy, and not too complex do not need a phd to do it. Like to see orthophotos real-clean with Xplane with landmark for skylines and more lego built airports. Orbx is good but do not need that level of detail flying rather see the detail on the ground improve. X-plane is the future and think switch from FSX will be gradual because people know X-plane historically never had the add ons like Microsoft series had people not real hurry to move over from fsx if fsx gives 90% of what they want.

How many posts have you read that state (practically verbatim) that "I'm removing FSX from my computer; XP10 is the greatest!"

Well, I guess, but I think maybe those who say that are tacitly saying it has the potential to be the greatest because of what we both agree is the good thing about XP10, its future, as it were. I seem to hear plenty about its shortcomings too. The impressions I've gotten have left me figuring the only reason to jump ship today is to help XP10 develop a bigger user following, so as to help move the franchise along. Which is of course seems as valid as any other reason. I'm in a little bit of a holding pattern myself. I'm not too keen on buying add'l upgrades for FSX as I truly feel it's doomed in terms of further development. IMO it's still a great product, just one w/ no future. If P3D changes that, then I'll be tempted to hang around a while longer.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Like you, Noel, I'm at a juncture in software - the PMDG 777 is probably the last FSX add-on that I purchase, because I think FSX has ran its course. Unless, perhaps, PMDG releases an EFB package. Then that will be my last purchase.

If P3D receives the attention from LM that I think it will, that will probably be my direction going forward, simply because all of the $ that I've spent on FSX can be moved to P3D, except for a few small items. I need to see that XP will work to fix the issues that it has before making a leap of faith that direction, as nothing is cheap when starting over in a hobby like this. However, I AM willing to move to XP if the minor irritations are fixed, AND if the major devs like PMDG, QS, and others move that direction as well. PMDG does have an XP product on its horizon, so I'm going to sit on the fence for now.

Best,

Kev

I think it's very hard now for a new addon developer to make a name for themselves on the FSX platform (unless they are doing something exceptionally crazy). Otherwise PMDG, ORBX, REX and the like (you know the list of acronyms that folks just seem to naturally type out so often that you just skip reading them) are pretty much the de-facto standard that users wont even blink a blind eye to a competing product. The X-Plane platform has no such entrenched names (yet), so it's much easier I think for a new developer to be noticed by the community.

I don't think you'll find many people here on these forums that will proclaim XP to be the best sim out there. You have to go to the typical XP hangouts to get that attitude lol

The main things keeping me from switching permanently:

Poor "land class"

Stock airports barren

Low res aircraft even most payware

Lack of payware including my precious RXP integration

It's a pretty small list but those are all big factors. Not everyone is flying in a home built cockpit (this is to the people who say you don't need eye candy).

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ok, now I'm just trying to figure out why my fps are so low....

Whoever said there isn't tweaking in XP was lying bleh!

Also, two questions...

Is this normal to have the scenery get blurry really high up? (FL410)

Untitled-106.jpg

And how can I change the scenery display order in XP? I mean the custom scenery seems to overlap some airports... At John Wayne I downloaded a 3rd party scenery, and then a bunch more, but I've lost some of my taxiway signage and yellow lines. Does it depend on the scenery_packs.ini file?

I believe the scenery display order is as simple as the alphabetical order of the folders within the custom scenery folder. This is why if you want to ensure a certain scenery has top priority over others, you add a z_ prefix to the filename, to ensure it's at the bottom of the folder.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

I guess for me, more than anything else, XP10 is a breath of fresh air. It's got some issues that I can totally live with and most of FSX issues are gone (unreliable performance, addon compatability issues and so on).

Maybe, some day if XP10 doesn't fix the ongoing issues I will get tired of it too. In the meantime I'll continue to enjoy all the NEW features in flight simulation and neat things about XP. Getting the CRJ fixed a lot of issues from me (like tire screeching and all that).

I'll continue to use FSX, P3D and XPX.

The only thing keeping FSX on my rig is me playing around with DX10, if P3D is DX11 compliant with v2 it will have some legs for a while to come, but 64bit without a doubt is the future.

I enjoy XPX alot and will continue to support it and any quality 3rd party development around it.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

C'mon guys, X-Plane is fun! Look on this aircraft after crash ;)

Ups! No link! Sorry, don't know how to post link here

C'mon guys, X-Plane is fun! Look on this aircraft after crash ;)

Ups! No link! Sorry, don't know how to post link here

lols. thats funny. im surprised how nice xplane looks. what kind of specs do you have and what was the addons?

lols. thats funny. im surprised how nice xplane looks. what kind of specs do you have and what was the addons?

My specs rather average: CPU i3 (3.3GHz), 8GB RAM, video Geforce GTX 660 2GB VRAM (with extreme textures, very high word details, extreme airport details, HDR (FXAA) and clouds 40% I have 30-100 FPS)

Addons: X-Plane 10 New Zealand Pro Scenery (free from www.alpilotx.net) and Runways Enhanced HD by FlyJSim.

I think main thanks for nice look going to New Zeland Scenery :)