Sign in to follow this  
rspring94

New Scenery Developers

Hi all.

I have just launched a website for my FREEWARE and PHOTOREAL (yes you heard right) scenery projects.

The address is: freehqflightsimscenery.simplesite.com.

Please visit and tell me what you think.

Also, see the site's help wanted section, if you have past scenery design experience, this may be for you.

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

QF147: SYD-AKL (ZK-ZQG)

27-5-2018

EK413: CHC-SYD (A6-EUI)

It is IMPOSSIBLE to make scenery when noone offers to help.

Where are all the people who offered to help me with YSSY??

Recent Flights:

18-5-2018

QF147: SYD-AKL (ZK-ZQG)

27-5-2018

EK413: CHC-SYD (A6-EUI)

Definitely not impossible, but It might be best to actually learn most of the aspects of what "you" need to do before starting a website for "new" scenery developers.

If you need help with a certain aspect and can't find it here, then http://www.fsdeveloper.com/ will more than likely have it.

Best, Michael

KDFW

I'd post something...when my scenery is ready. But, it'll be months at the rate I'm going.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I've just uploaded 113 airports but I'd rather teach you to fish rather than feeding you for a day.

Alan

Plus one in regards to Alan and his reply. Many, many people have tried to get others to do their learning and their work, . . . . it never happens. It takes a lot of effort and dedication to learn the tools and skills necessary to do even basic scenery. Myself as an example, have be doing scenery for years and with the exception of one project that I assisted on, I have never uploaded anything because I still consider myself a beginner with tons to learn yet.

If you are really interested in learning start by reading - a lot, and get a object design tool such as GMAX, do some more reading and learn how to create some simply objects and texture them.

Check out this site:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/

That is a good place to start and a good place for learning.

Best regards and good luck,

Mel

P.S.

My apologies, in rereading the post it reads that you already have some scenery design skills. So to back track and cover my behind, I would suggest you might start a project and be able to display its progress and what it has to offer then ask for someone to join you in completing or improving it.

I will leave my first comment as is, but not directed at you, just for anyone else who may read the topic that it may actually apply to.

Mel

Just want to put in these 2 cents. I do think there is a need for a better place for people to upload their sceneries. They need a place that shows some decent screenshots. The website I am aware of only have a tiny little picture and it isn't enough for anyone to tell if the scenery has any value at all. Some of it may be fantastic, but I can't tell.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

I have FS2002 and am trying to get FlightSim X this month, however. I ,make games. I am pretty good at the game making part, even made 4 place in a game developer contest. But terrible at the selling games part, ( I need people that know how to do that) However in the course of making games that are all run with Direct_X 3D models, I do have 6 to 10 thousand models. The Directx models vary from Buildings, people, creatures, rocks, to paper and books. About anything you see in a day from the time you get up to even the bed you sleep in and all the things that populate the Dreams you fear . If you could use direct x models I could provide what I have that is royalty free to your project. I use milkshake, blender, and 4 other programs. No i am not inclined to produce custom models for a project I know nothing about, that is all pixels on a screen and some fancy words at this point. Although if you need something I could show what I have and if you could use it I would let you use it.

Direct_X 3D models

Are they usable in FSX? They have to be in bgl files for FSX to use them, correct? Buildings and people would be interesting.

Gregg Seipp

A few thoughts / opinions.

Creating scenery is hard work. I've been trying to develop a small airport (CEZ3) for FS9, along with a fleet of static aircraft painted with real Can. numbers. Its extremely challenging to learn not just the design techniques, but how to use the tools. Or even what tools to use. Basically, it's not that much fun. But the reason why I'm sticking with it, is because I really, really want a nice version of CEZ3, something that I can enjoy. If I upload it and others enjoy it too, that's great. I'd love to give something back to the community.

But my point is that in order to attract a group of people to donate their time and sweat to a project, you are going to have to have something that they want to do do. A project that they care about, want to be involved in, are passionate over.

On your website you mention cancelling work on YSSY. I probably would of never volunteered for a project like that, since I'm not that interested in YSSY, no matter how nice it might turn out to be. But let me tell you, if I saw someone developing CYEG, and they were to show some progress, some screenshots, and ask for help from the community to finish... I'd be trying to help them in anyway I could.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Oh dear. Not impossible; just means that you need to do it all yourself.

The scenery design forums are sporadically frequented by start-ups requesting "help", with the intent of coordinating a large number of contributors.

To my knowledge, no project has ever progressed this way.

Those who have the skills to make scenery and wish to are generally making scenery, and enhancing their skills by doing so. Usually solo, or in small groups. It is an arduous process, so a designer with experience is not inclined to join a small startup where there is no work on show.

Pick a small project, and get it under your belt. Much of the scenery you use is made this way, BTW.

Once you have made something released, people may be inspired to work with you.

The ones I like are those that "have the project nearly done" (amounting to an afcad in ADE "updated with real world parking spots & taxiways", woohoo!). "All I need now is someone to build the models because frankly I suck at 3D modeling".

The modeling/texturing, as anyone whose done it knows, is 99.9% of the project. It's like saying "I want some help building a house, I'm nearly done, I have the brush cleared off the property, I just need someone to dig a hole and build the foundation, frame the house in, install the windows and finish the exterior, do the plumbing, insulate and sheet the interior walls, build the cabinets, lay the carpets, and finish out the interior".

Are they usable in FSX? They have to be in bgl files for FSX to use them, correct? Buildings and people would be interesting.

Ahh you lost me. I know nothing about making scenery for flight sim any version. I had it in 98 and there was a editor I had that I could remake airports and even cities for Flight SIm 98. I loved it. However it is long gone and I just got Flight SIm 2002 at a trade and was looking for a editor like I had but it seems all software that there was to edit 2002 is no longer available. I did find LAGO and AFCAD and NOVA but there is no way to register the programs so other than AFCAD they are useless. SO I am getting Flight Sim X. and am trying to find a really good editor to add buildings, rivers, roads, for cities and all the goodies you need for a airport, runway lighting, taxi ways you can actually SEE. the ones in AFCAD are there but you can't see them. parking adventures and so on.

Now. I have a issue. If you don't know if Direct x is usable in Flight sim how would I know? I see that GMAX is used.. Hint GMAX is direct x.

So what editors are available for Flight Sim X ?

So what editors are available for Flight Sim X ?

I'm a pure amateur that started about 2 months ago so I'm not going to be very useful for advice.

I use Instant Object Studio and, sometimes, rarely, GMAX. I then use Instant Scenery to place the objects. They're fairly cheap and available from Flight1. There are others as well...some free but I don't know how to use them.

Gregg Seipp

I use Instant Object Studio and, sometimes, rarely, GMAX. I then use Instant Scenery to place the objects.

WOW now that is awesome. I viewed the video for Instant Scenery 2 and had read about the Object studio. But do they make or allow you to edit airports ? like taxi ways, parking add/change runways. Nav aids and so on?

Have you seen this?

I use Instant Object Studio and, sometimes, rarely, GMAX. I then use Instant Scenery to place the objects.

Brought to you by AVSIM Online!

This has been copied from AVSIM - http://forum.avsim.net: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/400874-new-scenery-developers/#entry2611592