Sign in to follow this  
Brenchen

How do you keep your table tidy?

Cable management during the build for inside the case is important, sure, not just for the appearance (when you can see it), but also for the airflow.

However, some people, such as myself, is also somewhat a tidy freak. With powerful machines, fancy monitors, speakers, control columns, all sorts of USB cables, headphones, TrackIR and everything else coming out of your computer, it may sometimes be difficult to keep everything tidy.

I am trying to keep tidy, with everything that I use regularly in simming and daily usage, but have failed to do so (or at least from an appearance point of view).

I would like to ask and see, how do you place your computer accessories, where do you hide your cables, how do you manage your cables so not only it looks tidy, when you need to actually clean your table or the floor, you can do it without it filling up with dust or anything making the process more complicated than it needs to be.

Some pictures if it's not too much trouble, would certainly help illustrate :)

Cheers,

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

hi,

I try but fail, you can say after a good clean up, about 30 minutes later it's a mess with charts all over the desk, the yoke just sitting there and my headset wire all over the table. Oh and forgot to add my maths books ;) haha....

many thanks

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

Exactly what I mean. One part that's bit better for me, is all my work is either in my computer or in my brain ;) (I study the back of my eyelids quite intensively for extended periods of time ;))

But yea, it's quite messy, and for the rest of my room its good, but the centre piece is .....

Anyone else?

Brendan Chen

This really has to depend on what kind of table you have to begin with. I have a couple of half height filing cabinets with a piece of kitchen worktop across the top which means my table top spans the width of my study. I have a number of screw-in hooks secured to the back or the worksurface which I use for cable management, and I have an 8-way surge protected power strip secured under the worksurface so there are no visible cables on the floor. I use a good quality wireless keyboard and mouse to cut down on cables on the desk. I have built a monitor stand which incorporates 3 small shelves which house my cable modem, WiFi router and memory card reader. I dont have a huge range of peripherals just some speakers, a printer, my X52 HOTAS and a Belkin N52 for FPS games, but I still have room for some paperwork etc, I certainly wouldn't have a permanant place for a rudder. But as always if there's somewhere to put stuff, stuff will get put, so it's never as tidy as the wife would like.

room.jpg

Could be tidier but gives you the idea, just a couple of cheap filing cabinets, some kitchen worktop with the cable management at the back out of sight, a power strip underneath out of sight .....

hi,

I try but fail, you can say after a good clean up, about 30 minutes later it's a mess with charts all over the desk, the yoke just sitting there and my headset wire all over the table. Oh and forgot to add my maths books ;) haha....

many thanks

With this... http://www.cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/

And this... http://www.dauntless-soft.com/products/simplates/android/

:)

I use IKEA desks because they are flexible, and drill grommets for my computer, monitor, and yoke. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse. Separating academic/work materials also aids organization.

Combined with cable clips, this process can become obsessive and tedious. My previous setup:

But the results were satisfying:

My new setup is not as neat, as I am delaying grommet drilling in hopes that I will be able to upgrade to a PFC yoke.

Just couldn't resist this one! Here's the ultimate setup WHEN YOU STAY IN HOTELS ALL THE TIME LOL

desk_zps761864ad.jpg

Usually I'll pull out a nightstand drawer and mount the throttle on it, but this hotel is new and the drawers are non-removeable. So I sifted through the kitchen drawers and found a saucepan that fits the bill nicely. Ghetto yes, but it works :LMAO: I still get to shake the walls & floors with my subwoofer too!! One of these days I'll switch to a desktop setup at home, but for now, this well traveled man gets his FSX fix any way he can!

Chris Sunseri

MY... GOOD... NESS........

With all seriousness, I could NEVER imagine having stuff like what I've seen from you images, or just the amount of stuff I have (which is less than some) could EVER look that tidy!!!

I really like the idea of the grommets at the bottom of the desk. I move every 6 months to a year, live with a bunch of different people every time and have always used small desks and struggled with my dual monitor.

Now that I am planning a build with a MASSIVE case, thought I need to pick up a big table to begin with (from IKEA).

Just a question there Owen. Where did you get your grommets from? Just give me an indication of the type of stores would be good as we are in different country. IKEA for example? Or office supplies maybe? And also, how did you plan the cable routing? And how do you allow for slacks in cables for some of your devices? Like for example if you need to pull the wired joystick towards you when you fly, or need to move it back when you don't.

When I have my own table, I can add and remove stuff till my heart content ;) Currently, I have:

• Large 21" (or 24" I can't remember) monitors x2 - 2 power and 2 monitor cables
  • Speakers that have similar looks as PieEater's x2 - 2 power cables and 2 audio cables joining into one
  • For cable management, I bought a good quality keyboard and mouse as well - 1 cable extending the mouse receiver out from the back of the case to in front of the mouse, otherwise the mouse doesn't work properly :(
  • Headphone - 1 long audio cable
  • Joystick (use to have a yoke and rudders, but again the mess drove me crazy) - 1 data cable
  • Wireless USB network card - 1 data cable to put the USB device wherever it needs. I bought a high gain one, so I hope it can be tucked away but still get good reception
  • Few external HDDs - Most of them have at least 1 power and 1 data cable (those are actually quite annoying)
  • And a MASSIVE full-tower - 1 power cable and a WHOLE LOT of other cables coming out of it into the other peripheries

I basically try to keep the cables tidy by bunching them up. But they still tend to be in sight. I really like how you all tucked your cables, gives me some ideas how I can manage mine!

Thanks

Brendan Chen

thought I need to pick up a big table to begin with (from IKEA). . . .

Where did you get your grommets from? Just give me an indication of the type of stores would be good as we are in different country. IKEA for example? Or office supplies maybe?

That desk was an IKEA Galant corner desk I inherited from a moving family. When I moved myself, I left it and purchased new ones for academics and for personal use. They are flexible, sturdy, and stylish enough for my purposes.

I originally used these oval grommets (scroll down), which were expensive and ended up being inconveniently shaped. I drilled two circular holes using an adjustable rotating drill bit, and connected them by removing excess wood with a Swiss Army knife.

I was more prepared for my new desks, and purchased an IKEA cable outlet kit for the main computer grommet. For my monitors, I used Home Depot 1.25" or 1.5" ones. Ensure that you do not drill over desk beams!

I hope this information helps, and will discuss cable management tomorrow.