Sign in to follow this  
calypso

Moving FS2004 to a Windows 8 computer - some hints

Greetings from sunny Switzerland. Picked up a new machine two weeks ago. I had previously been running FS2004 on an old Dell XPS for nine years with Windows XP Pro. My FS installation was huge and I dreaded the though of it dying on me and having to start from scratch.

Anyway, the new beast came loaded with Windows 8 so I stated to plan the "transfer" of Fs2004.

First thing I did was install FS2004 from the original disks (yes, I found them). No problem there. I even let it install in the Program Files (x86) directory.

I then gave the FS directory full access and security rights. Important this.

Rather than reinstall each add-on aircraft and scenery, I then decided to copy all my Gauges, Effects and Mesh/Landclass directories to the new Windows 8 installation. A large capacity USB drive is essential for this exercise.

Since I had literally hundreds of aircraft in my old installation, I also decided to limit the number of aircraft in the new system to those I flew the most. Simple aircraft can be copied straight across to the Aircraft directory (don't need to worry about Gauges and Effects as they are already in place).

I started with Project Tupolev's wonderful Tu-154. The installer would not work in W8, so I just copied the files across. Important to include the developers' folders in the new FS9 root directory.

It flies beautifully in W8. Good Start.

Other aircraft like the Ilyushin Il-62, Feelthere's Airbus and 737 also installed successfully as did the older 727-200, 737-200, AFG's Caravelle III etc.

Add-on scenery also copies across, although some, like FlyTampa and Aerosoft loaded in successfully using the makers' installers.

I also have the blank picture for the loading screen, but I can certainly live with that.

FS2004 running on a fast quad core i7 is a joy to behold. Smooth and very high frame rates with all sliders maxed out.

It will be a long process but at least I will be able to continue flying if my old computer dies on me.

John

You may be one of the first to get FS9 running successfully in W8, great work.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I'm about to start the same transformation so hopefully it goes as smoothly as yours did! (I just cant live without the PMDG Beech 1900)

Hi Calypso! "I then gave the FS directory full access and security rights. Important this." how exactly do you do this? as i`m also looking at a change from my old XP system.

Cheers from sunny South Africa @ FAPE! :rolleyes:

I'm about to start the same transformation so hopefully it goes as smoothly as yours did! (I just cant live without the PMDG Beech 1900)

Hi Calypso! "I then gave the FS directory full access and security rights. Important this." how exactly do you do this? as i`m also looking at a change from my old XP system.

Cheers from sunny South Africa @ FAPE! :rolleyes:

Why don't you guys go with Windows 7 as it's a much easier transition and well documented in these forums? You can order a PC from Dell or HP requesting Windows 7 as your OS.

I applauded John as people have had a hard enough time getting FSX to run in Windows 8 let alone FS9. I personally wouldn't bother with 8 and although they sell it with new PC's today there's always the option of getting a new PC with Windows 7. Windows 8 has some serious quirks to it when used with Flight Simulator (at least that's what's reported). You guys are truly in uncharted territory with 8 but if you so choose to go that route and be pioneers we'll all watch with great interest. B) :rolleyes:

FS2020 

Hi ja99 and Dillon.

If you RIGHT click on the main FS9 folder, hit properties and then the Security tab. Make sure all the boxes are ticked under all the categories.

Use the Edit button to make your changes.

Dell and HP carry a premium price here in Switzerland. I paid less than half of what they charge for a similar spec machine (see my signature).

From what I've read on the Web, Windows 8 is a superior operating system (to Windows 7) once you bypass the Metro part of it. Faster and with a much smaller footprint in terms of resource requirements..

John

I started with Project Tupolev's wonderful Tu-154. The installer would not work in W8, so I just copied the files across. Important to include the developers' folders in the new FS9 root directory.

It flies beautifully in W8. Good Start.

Other aircraft like the Ilyushin Il-62, Feelthere's Airbus and 737 also installed successfully as did the older 727-200, 737-200, AFG's Caravelle III etc.

Add-on scenery also copies across, although some, like FlyTampa and Aerosoft loaded in successfully using the makers' installers.

I also have the blank picture for the loading screen, but I can certainly live with that.

FS2004 running on a fast quad core i7 is a joy to behold. Smooth and very high frame rates with all sliders maxed out.

It will be a long process but at least I will be able to continue flying if my old computer dies on me.

Excellent news! Especially about the PT Tu-154. I've been wondering if it and the tons of other stuff I have will work properly in W8.

Hi Ryan,

PMDG's 747-499 installed with no problems on Windows 8.

Aircraft installed successfully so far are:

Tupolev Tu-154-B2 (Project Tupolev)

Tupolev 154-M (Project Tupolev)

Ilyushin Il-62M (Project Tupolev)

Tupolev Tu-134 (SCS)

Airbus (Feelthere PIC Series 1 and 2)

Boeing 737 (Feelthere PIC)

Sud Aviation Caravelle III (AVG)

Lockheed 1011 Tristar (Aerosoft)

Vickers Super VC-10 (David Maltby)

Boeing 737-200 (TinMouse)

John

Hi ja99 and Dillon.

If you RIGHT click on the main FS9 folder, hit properties and then the Security tab. Make sure all the boxes are ticked under all the categories.

Use the Edit button to make your changes.

Dell and HP carry a premium price here in Switzerland. I paid less than half of what they charge for a similar spec machine (see my signature).

From what I've read on the Web, Windows 8 is a superior operating system (to Windows 7) once you bypass the Metro part of it. Faster and with a much smaller footprint in terms of resource requirements..

I for one am so glad you've gottten FS9 working in W8 as that proves we have much more life in the software. I think I speak for many in saying thank you for your effort. Your work helps us all move forward in keeping this hobby alive.

FS2020 

I can attest to the fact that the iFly 737 does not work in windows 8. I did an install on a win 8 machine and then downgraded to win 7.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

Hi,

Can you give me the benefit of your experiences on running FS9 on a windows 8 setup, I still run FS9 on my old XP machine, after all these years,cannot imagine life without it, it's so much more flexible,and accessible than FSX, although I have FSX on a more modern windows 7 machine.

I have installed FS9 on the windows 7 computer, but,frankly the texture and general graphics reproduction is not as good as on the XP setup.

I would be very interested in other simmers experiences.

Regards

Mike

Am I missing something here? If you go to the bother and expense of buying a fast new computer, why not install FSX instead of FS9, as I assume the new computer will run it. Or is there a problem with FSX and Windows 8?

I have almost two month's experience with my new Dell computer, running FS9 on the Windows 8 OS. My basic elements are FS9 enhanced with FScene and REX; many Carenado GA planes, the MAAM-Sim military planes, and many of the best freeware planes and airports. I get a consistent 55-60 FPS with sliders on the next-to-highest settings. Rex is the one I have to watch because their big beautiful cumulus storm clouds can bog any machine down. I will sometimes back off the cloud settings a bit if I will be panning views in heavy weather. On the other hand, the Air Scheffel 737-800 can use good clouds because it does not employ a virtual cockpit. My cross-country trips in that plane can have some amazing weather. Did I mention that the video card is a middling AMD?

The best thing I have done is make a few config changes in the scenery setting. Many of these are controllable within the games settings, of course. You can find settings suggestion on the REX forum, although they recommend a limit of 30 fps and I prefer 60 fpm to get smoother VC panning.

There are a few glitches that I simply work around:

The MAAM-SIM B-25 and DC-3 won't start at 60fps. This is a well-known problem liked to AMD cards. You can change the fps to 30; start any other plane first and then switch planes; or, you can start the MAAM planes in zoom (Y-key) and then do a quick press of the up (F3)and down (F1)keys to auto start the planes, and then key out of the zoom mode.

Also, I don't get 3-D views of the planes in the menu mode unless I switch to Windows mode. That is minor also.

Everything else is fine...no CTD's or anything like that.

My setup is far superior to stock FSX due to the nice add-ons I chose. My FSX is gathering dust somewhere. Use the hints above regarding permissions if you plan to tinker with anything in the software. Windows 8 has everything secured real tight with permissions required.

I have almost two month's experience with my new Dell computer, running FS9 on the Windows 8 OS. My basic elements are FS9 enhanced with FScene and REX; many Carenado GA planes, the MAAM-Sim military planes, and many of the best freeware planes and airports. I get a consistent 55-60 FPS with sliders on the next-to-highest settings. Rex is the one I have to watch because their big beautiful cumulus storm clouds can bog any machine down. I will sometimes back off the cloud settings a bit if I will be panning views in heavy weather. On the other hand, the Air Scheffel 737-800 can use good clouds because it does not employ a virtual cockpit. My cross-country trips in that plane can have some amazing weather. Did I mention that the video card is a middling AMD?

The best thing I have done is make a few config changes in the scenery setting. Many of these are controllable within the games settings, of course. You can find settings suggestion on the REX forum, although they recommend a limit of 30 fps and I prefer 60 fpm to get smoother VC panning.

There are a few glitches that I simply work around:

The MAAM-SIM B-25 and DC-3 won't start at 60fps. This is a well-known problem liked to AMD cards. You can change the fps to 30; start any other plane first and then switch planes; or, you can start the MAAM planes in zoom (Y-key) and then do a quick press of the up (F3)and down (F1)keys to auto start the planes, and then key out of the zoom mode.

Also, I don't get 3-D views of the planes in the menu mode unless I switch to Windows mode. That is minor also.

Everything else is fine...no CTD's or anything like that.

My setup is far superior to stock FSX due to the nice add-ons I chose. My FSX is gathering dust somewhere. Use the hints above regarding permissions if you plan to tinker with anything in the software. Windows 8 has everything secured real tight with permissions required.

Unfortunately i have no idea what permissions are or how to use them. Also, one of my throttles does not show a full range of motion. (saitek)