Sign in to follow this  

My only suggestion is to rethink the GPU. If you're going to splurge on a rig then the GPU is something you don't want to skimp out on. With Nvidia it a "goldilocks" problem. A 660ti is too cold (underpowered) and a 680 is too hot (overpowered) but 670 is just right. If money is no object, go 680. Otherwise you should start with a 670 and build from there.

I also think any "super clocked" or "ftw" editions are garbage. You're paying a premium for something you could do for free yourself. Also the benefits to OC a GPU are generally small compared to OC a CPU. Lastly, you really don't need 3GB ram. It's a great way to eat more money from you. Most games these days don't even come close to being able to utilize that kind of video memory.

So to summarize, grab a 2GB GTX 670 or 680 and build from there.

looks good to me, I would take into consideration the points made about the graphics card but you may be tied to a budget. Plus it depends a lot on what screen resolution you use, on my 1680x1050 TFT I have no real problems running pretty high settings with my overclocked 560Ti though I'd obviously struggle if I had a larger monitor or multiple screens.

The bulk of the Noctua reduces the size of memory modules to 44mm for the first slot but G.Skill say their modules are 40mm and also that they are qualified for the P8Z77-V Pro so no problem there. I can't find any internal dimensions for the case but externaly the width is 229mm and the Noctua is 160mm tall so I'm guessing no problems there either. So everything should fit OK.

I'm going to throw in what is going to be a regular proviso for new build threads - With Haswell coming in early June if I could wait I would. Socket 1155 motherboards will become obsolete as Haswell will use a new layout, so you will have no upgrade path, and obviously the newer processor should offer better performance. Conversely you could wait for Haswells release and pick up a 3570k and 1155 board for bargain prices.

If one always has to wait for the next great thing, one never gets to build. After Haswell there´ll be something even better and faster. And when you rush out to be the first to try new hardware you could be facing all the "teething" problems. And there´s talk of cpu´s being hardwired onto motherboards in the future, renedering all sockets as we know ´em obsolete. Too many "what-if"s. So, if you´re hands are itching like mine for some simming on a new rig, I say go for it...today :wink:

The above statement is my humble opinion based on what I read out there. I´m not saying it´s the almighty truth. I respect other opinions on the matter.

On the SSD side, I´d say go for Samsung 830 or 840 PRO, Samsung are not reliant on the Sandforce controller, which tends to have some issues when you read around. Intel´s 520 series seem to have come into harmony with Sandforce though.

If you´re looking at a serious overclock of the cpu concider a closed loop watercooler.

3 or 4 gb memory in a gpu is good for multiple screen gaming with high AA, or for BF3 on a single screen, if you´re into that as well.

Good luck with the build! Happy flying.

Thanks for the input guys. Upgraded my video card to the GTX 670 2GB...only added about $30 so I am comfortable with that. Also switched to Samsung 840 PRO SSD.

Considering the Corsair H100 for CPU cooling.

BTW....any advantage to going the full deal of cooling the GPU and northbridge too with an open end system? I don't really do much gaming other than FSX.

No point when that's your use. Only if you were extreme OCing both cpu and gpu, or if you love fiddling with that stuff, sure it's eye candy too.

I have a Thermalright Macho cooler, it's no big deal, much less efficient than the NH-D14 but allows me to run my 2700K at 4.8Ghz prime and IBT stable at no more than 84c on any core. I *might* be able to get a 4% performance increase in speed if I fitted a Noctua or H100i but as 4.8Ghz is pretty much the average speed for my chip I may well not.

When I'm running FSX one of my physical cores is running at 100% the others fluctuate but at the most run 60% cuncurrently for about 12 seconds every minute before dropping off to 20% so I can conclusively tell you that when you run FSX your CPU is never going to run at 100%. I also regularly run a couple of other games, and some creativity software (Photoshop & Lightroom) and can tell you that my system is never running at 100% for long enough to make my temperature controlled cooling come on above silent mode with the exception of my graphics card.

My results lead me to the conclusion that ultimate cooling solutions *may* assist in bigger numbers when it comes to whose number is bigger than whose but in real life nothing is going to tax your computer enough to require that kind of cooling, it's nice to have but not essential.

Personally I'd think hard about closed loop water cooling, you're introducing several points of failure for very little real world benefit. I honestly understand why some folks think it's the bees knees but to me it's valid for only a limited number of situatons.

That's interesting. What are all those points of failure? Where can I read about them? I am concerned 'cause I got an H100i ready.

That's interesting. What are all those points of failure? Where can I read about them? I am concerned 'cause I got an H100i ready.

I fully respect that your opinon on closed loop coolers is different to mine but if you honestly can't look at a carefuly sculpted lump of metal with a fan stuck on it, compare this with your H100i, and realise there's several things that could conceiveably go wrong with your cooler that could never go wrong with the lump of metal, then no-one can answer your question.

I am not going to question anybodys considered decision to purchase a closed loop cooler, I have recently advised someone on these forums to do so because I thought it was the best solution for their requirements. What I said was that closed loop coolers need to be carefully considered because they introduce several points of failure that air coolers do not have and that in real world terms their benefits over a decent air cooler are questionable, in my opinion they are not always the best solution.

Why not an i7-3820 (Sandy Bridge-E, LGA2011, 3.6GHz stock)? This CPU is inexpensive and very OC capable.

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz

Will a i7-3820 LGA 2011 fit into the socket on the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77?

Jim Driskell

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

Your thoughts and comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Very good choice of hardware. Ivy Bridge has fantastic potential and challenges!

HLJAMES