Sign in to follow this  
Spartan0536

fsx config sight distance

Hello, I have tweaked the crap out of my FSX config, and FSX not only runs great but looks better as well. There is still one thing that nags the living crap out of me, its the sight distance. In real aviation I have never really been able to see past 20nm most of the time its between 8nm - 15nm. But FSX seems to like displaying something like 80nm. Is there a setting that I can use like in FS9 where you could limit view distance to around 20nm?

8414713730_2947d4201c_n.jpg

yes in a manner of speaking.... it seems like the sight distance (no haze) is somewhere around either 60 or 80nm. I know in FS9 you could edit this to get some really nice screenshots and the world felt more realistic.

You need to take a 'real world' night flight in clear weather from Tampa, head east at around 2500', and you will see the lights of the Florida east coast, well over 100 miles :-)

However you can easily knock that down in FSX with a weather addon, or even using the built in FSX weather if it bothers you that much.

Jay

I have REX which its engine is no OPUS, I have considered OPUS, I was just wondering if it was something I could just edit in a .cfg file.

Thanks!

If using default weather, you can adjust visibility in the FSX weather panel. This thread contains useful information about REX weather and visibility, including:

"Enable Real Visibility:

This feature forces the REX Weather Engine to utilize the actual visibility setting provided by the METAR report.
Turning off this feature causes the REX Weather Engine to use a default setting of 20 NM
or to use the settings provided in the GLOBAL VISIBILITY LAYERS. . . .

Set Global Visibility Layers:

To satisfy those that want to create their own visibility layers we have provided a means to add your own visibility layers globally to FSX/P3D. The user can add as many layers as they want.
Using this feature will supersede real weather visibility
."