Sign in to follow this  
dburne

Iditarod 5 - Finger Lake?

Hey gang,

Ok so I am new to this aerocache hunting thing, just starting with them yesterday. So finding that I liked it, thought I would start grabbing some that are available. When I go to aerocache hunts under activities, it shows me some that are available, or at least what I assume are available. So this morning I started the Iditarod 5 - Finger Lake hunt. I took off from the recommended airport, and with GMap loaded up started following my course. Somewhat of a long flight. Finger Lake is just a little ways northwest of Wasilla.

I made it to Finger Lake, and circled around the lake, and the aerocache sensor never went off. Dissappointed I landed at Palmer and shut my Carbon Cub down.

Any idea of what I may have missed here? It being named Finger Lake , I thought for sure once I got to the lake at least the sensor would have gone off?

Also another question - once I research an aerocache, to get the XP points for it, does one have to start the hunt from the recommended airport, or if I see an airport much closer can I just start it from that one instead and still get the aerocache and th total XP it comes with?

Thanks for any tips,

This one can be a little tough to find. I recommend you start at the designated airport and use the HUD. Also, if you aren't familiar with the cache location, use the internet search feature. It can be very handy.

By using the mileage indicator you can see if you are heading in the right direction or not. When you get more experience with the aerocaches, you can do it differently. I fly the CC for the most part and use the HUD because I like it. Some don't.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Ok thanks guys, yes I am using both the HUD and the sensor. Sounds like I chose the wrong Finger Lake.

I am currently now flying the Herschel Island Oil Rig aerocache in the Icon, man has been a while since I have flown the Icon, having a blast! I will give the Iditarod 5 another go later today.

Thanks for the tips!

The Herschel island oil rig is fun to find also as it is way off the grid. As for Finger island that is also difficault. You sure pick the hard ones first. If you look back in the posts you will find lots of screen shots.

Steve

You chose the wrong Finger Lake.

See here : http://goo.gl/maps/NGid7

You were exactly right Heimi, I had chosed the wrong Finger Lake - boy was I way off on that one!

This one was no trouble at all with the correct lake chosen, thank you very much!

Well with this one, I have now finally surpassed the 2 million XP mark - shame I took a few weeks off.

This aerocache hunt thing is pretty cool, and considering I only have like 38 so far, guess I have a lot more I can do with Flight!

The Herschel island oil rig is fun to find also as it is way off the grid. As for Finger island that is also difficault. You sure pick the hard ones first. If you look back in the posts you will find lots of screen shots.

Lol, yes I guess so but am sure having fun - actually so far with using google maps and GMap for Flight, it is not too bad.

Thanks,

Also another question - once I research an aerocache, to get the XP points for it, does one have to start the hunt from the recommended airport, or if I see an airport much closer can I just start it from that one instead and still get the aerocache and th total XP it comes with?

No, you do not need to start from the recommended airport - although it usually is the closest to the cache - and you don't need to start by clicking the "START HUNT" button. You can start in Free Flight from anywhere, but doing so will not display the "within 5 miles / within 10 miles..." gadget.

I like to do the research, plot a course (and intersecting VOR radials when available) with Skyvector, and hunt without the gadget, but sometimes I'll go back and use it when things seem hopeless - there are some caches out in the ocean between islands in Hawaii that just lost their appeal after a while for me.

Thanks for the info Matt, much appreciated.

Right now I am using GMap along with google maps to have something to compare to, for aerocache hunting, seems to be working pretty well for me so far. I never took the time to learn VOR navigation, but hey that is something else I can still look forward to doing eventually in Flight I reckon.