Sign in to follow this  
HighTowers

Opus overcast with near perfect circle anomalies

Anyone have these near perfect circles with local forecast of overcast?

I cant figure it out which setting might be affecting this. This pic was on the US NE coast and it seems to me that they are weather stations although that report in the pic says 0 METAR. This didnt just happen here, it happens everywhere as I continued flying on this flight. There is 3 circles in this particular pic.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Looks like just some tiling effect of the cloud texture bitmaps. FSX selects the cloud bitmaps and when overcast conditions cause these images to be butted close up to each other you can get a tiling effect. The effect can depend on your choice of installed cloud textures.

The 0 METAR means something completely different. There are just 0 met stations within 5 miles of the nearest weather insertion point to you, so the weather at that insertion point has been interpolated from the surrounding area. Each weather cell is 16km x16km or about 10 x 10 miles.

Stephen

So to rectify this, I have to play around with different cloud textures. Its just a common cummulus cloud texture via REX. Kept the resolution to 1024 although im sure that has nothing to do with it.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I don't think you will ever totally eliminate the tiling effect.

Stephen

The tilling effect will mostly happen when many adjacent cells have the same overcast configuration, ie same cloud type/altitude/layer(s). I think the only way to avoid this issue, or to reduce it to minimum visual impact, would be to make small adjustments in cloud tops/covering within adjacent cells that have METAR or interpolated overcast layer(s).

Tom