Sign in to follow this  
fautleyj

Prop Sync

Hi Folks. Does anybody know the correct procedure when flying a twin, when and how to use Prop Sync' I mean at waht point is it switched on, and then when switched off, at which point of the flight please?

Thanks

John

Various aircraft and operators would have different specifics, but in general you don't want it on during take off, initial climb or approach/landing. Basically, at any time in the flight when having an engine fail would be a critical event, you would not use prop synch.

Of course, if you're an old codger like me you wouldn't bother with it at all but do it by hand and ear. The old fashioned way is to slowly adjust the pitch of one engine until the beat harmonizes with the other. The further you are from synchronization the faster the pulses sound. As you get closer the pulses get slower and slower until they can no longer be heard - you now have the props synchronized. But of course FS doesn't simulate this so it's all eye candy anyway...

Cheers

Ian

Some multiprops have a gauge on the panel that shows a loose similarity to a prop that rotates according to how far out of sync they area. (I could have sworn I heard the audio beat of low disparity rpm on those.)