Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

AOTD for 2/24/13 - Lonely Radar Farm

Well, it looks like someone woke up the hamster at MSG and got the real AOTD posted for today. Another fine one by Albacore Tunaman I'm sure.

Enjoy.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Figured I better grab this one before the hamster's legs gave out lol - no problem with this one, pretty easy - not a lot in the sightseeing department I had fun getting it though.

To me Lonely looked more like a tank farm than a listening post. I didn't see the radar dishes but I did see a lot of tanks. No problem fueling up here. :lol:

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Lots of ice here. Imagine having to spend the Winter on a tour of duty. Brrr!

Lonely_01_zpsdf415a01.jpg

Not much in the way of entertainment either. I suppose the hardship pay is pretty good, though. :lol:

Lonely_02_zpsa8371c0f.jpg

Parked on the apron - definitely lonely here! :rolleyes:

Lonely_03_zps12d40b5b.jpg

Best regards.

Luis

Looks just like the last time I was here. What did you have to wrong to get posted here?

Steve

To me Lonely looked more like a tank farm than a listening post. I didn't see the radar dishes but I did see a lot of tanks. No problem fueling up here. :lol:

I originally had this cache titled "Lonely Tank Farm". But then it dawned on me ... up here the dishes must be protected from the elements inside domes. The green ones must be the domes, the rest are definitely tanks. Also, the sectional chart labels this area as having Radar Domes. So that's my theory anyway. I wish we had some actual photos of this place. Any volunteers?

Radomes sounds reasonable, except ... that Point Lonely was shut down 6 years ago. So, probably no radars of any kind left now.

From Wikipedia:

Established as DEW Line Auxiliary site, 1957. Also was part of Alaska Radar System, site A-18. DEW operations ended 1990; unattended NWS Short Range Radar installed 1994 to cover any Long Range Radar surveillance gaps. Site Inactivated 2007 due to soil erosion & budget concerns. Station buildings remain in good repair.

Best regards.

Luis