Sign in to follow this  
Guest jaapverduijn

Payware and Freeware

As a result of your tinkering :-lol do you now also appreciate WHY many designers are turning commercial?Myself I'd rather pay the designer giving me that addon than the person hosting the file for download (though he too deserves compensation of course, as webspace isn't free either).

(Forum Administrator/Moderator) - could you please delete my last post so that this corrected one only appears thank you.Hi Peter, Thanks for taking up the banner for us ADD On developers. What did not come across in your excellent comments is that since setting 15% of my texture to be $2.00 for downloads that I have had only 56 texture "Payware" downloads in 5 months. The 2000 downloads per week are only the FREE textures. The move down from 3000 to 2000 downloads per week I attribute to a reluctance to incur the $2.00 download fee. Despite all of the efforts and costs for connectivity, bandwidth, software, time and effort, no matter how good the "pay" item is the sim community seems to steer away from it and continue to go only for the FREEWARE. I can understand this outlook that FREE is good - but I find it hard to understand that simmers do not seem overly concerned about the number of developers that have left the simming environment through the lack of support from their fellow simmers. I have been providing textures for Flight Simming now for more than three years and have achieved well over half a million downloads of my textures in the last year and a half - some of my textures are poor and some are fairly good but with over 500 textures available I believe that I cover a good range of liveries. My setting of the download fee for some of my aircraft was simply a request that the simmers out there help and that they be given an opportunity provide some offset to my personal cost being incurred to provide them with over 500 textures. I was very pleased to see that a certain Flight Sim site was in desperate need recently of a server upgrade and they were able to obtain several thousand dollars in donation and support in a day or two which was a wonderful response from the community. I know that these sites provide many services but a predominant part of their service is to host the files created by a plethora of developers for distribution to the community through them. However, what is intriguing is that this and almost all of the other FS sites depend greatly on developers using this service to provide the majority of downloads for the benefit of the sites patrons. But often even the site administrators shy away from supporting those that provide the majority of the "DRAW CARD" for their sites. One site even prohibited me from advising simmers through their forum the availability of one of my textures because it had a $2.00 download fee - they classed it as advertising Payware and advised that this was not endorsed or supported in their forum. Therefore I no longer use that forum for any of my notices about new releases even the free ones which are the majority of my works. What are we going to do when/if the developers finally give up the game and there is nothing being uploaded? Then the sites become only a forum and an advertising platform for PAYWARE software. And that is a loss to all of us. Sorry for the rant - but this is a touchy point for me and I suspect other developers that seem to be poring money out of their own pocket for the benefit of other. RegardsGarry J. Smithhttp://www.gjsmith.net/images//gjsmith-net-2.gifGarry J. Smith at http://www.gjsmith.net RAAF RetiredAircraft Texture TinkererAvailable on my site:GuestBook, GuestMap, Mailing List, Forum, Graphics Tutorial, hundreds of FREE textures

I have used many free Flightsim download sites, there is a school of thought that if it

Hi,I deleted the post for you, but just for future ref. you can edit them yourself by clicking on the edit link in the lower right hand corner.Regards,

Guest jaapverduijn

Greetings all!Since my entry into flight simulation late in 2001, I have noticed with some astonishment how among our generally fine and honest community, there are also some of the meanest freeloaders I ever had the sad fate to be acquainted with. A very vocal (read: loudmouthed) minority only goes for the free hand-outs, and apparently considers it their God-given right to have others work for them for free. The reasoning behind this neo-slavery mentality seems to be that for the developer the abstract "honor" of having satisfied clients should be enough. I cannot understand this reasoning. WHY would such an "honor" be enough? Why is the time of a developer worth nothing, while the time of the cheapskate clients apparently is so valuable that they will not even part with two dollars... representing maybe five or ten minutes of that time? Why on earth is ten, or even five, minutes of the clients time more valuable than hundreds of hours of the developers time? Seems like freeloading to me. Jaap Verduijn.