Sign in to follow this  
TU0833

FSX ATC assigns opposite runways for landing and departing

All,

The fix is to allow your weather to load and then re-fresh the AI in FS. Some weather programs have a button to do this or just advance the time in FS by 2 minutes. Note that any planes cleared to land will continue to do so.

Weather needs loading by engine before ATC starts else ATC is already running assigned runways for the unset weather.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks Jim, I tried your trick but didn't work :(

Please provide the airport, runways being used, and the weather that was active at the time.

Weather needs loading by engine before ATC starts else ATC is already running assigned runways for the unset weather.

This is what I do all the time

Please provide the airport, runways being used, and the weather that was active at the time.

KLAX 280153Z 00000KT 10SM CLR 225/06 A3000

Given the wind direction, I noticed that ATC assigns departing AI for the right runway 25L-R/24L-R. However landing AI still come from the opposite direction. Wind was smooth and didn't see any major shift in direction. I deactivated some options in ASE like "Force ATC Wind Lock" and "Direct Weather Control" to see if that helps but none. So I decided to close ASE and rely on default (real) weather coming from FSX, and I worked.

This leaves room for only one reasonable explanation: ASE is messing up with ATC and AI. I checked HIFI sim webiste to see if someone has reported something similar but none. The only thing I found for wind smoothing is to update FSUIPC but that didn't help. I don't think the guys there are ready to make an update for me only

With zero winds ATC goes by runway settings in the scenery.

With zero winds ATC goes by runway settings in the scenery.

Does it stay with 'preferred' below a preset level?...usually about 5 knots RW.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Yes, primary, secondary, it's all there.

...the winds aft and side winds vector components are compared, the speed thresholds are set into ATC, not scenery, only 'primary landing' 'secondary takeoff' and so on are in the scenery.

This is what I do all the time

KLAX 280153Z 00000KT 10SM CLR 225/06 A3000

Given the wind direction, I noticed that ATC assigns departing AI for the right runway 25L-R/24L-R. However landing AI still come from the opposite direction. Wind was smooth and didn't see any major shift in direction. I deactivated some options in ASE like "Force ATC Wind Lock" and "Direct Weather Control" to see if that helps but none. So I decided to close ASE and rely on default (real) weather coming from FSX, and I worked.

This leaves room for only one reasonable explanation: ASE is messing up with ATC and AI. I checked HIFI sim webiste to see if someone has reported something similar but none. The only thing I found for wind smoothing is to update FSUIPC but that didn't help. I don't think the guys there are ready to make an update for me only

1. This is not an ASE issue.

2. Please note that there is absolutely no wind speed or direction in that METAR and FS will use the default runways for landings and take offs as Steve stated.

I found a program on here that since I have started running it seems to help keep this turmoil down to a few times. It is called AISmooth on the short cut on my desktop. It runs outside of FSX and it makes AI keep proper spacing when departing and arriving. It will also aid in keeping you from being cut off on approach, by a rogue AI that appears out of now where to land at precisely the same time you line up. If you are running an add on weather engine try and delay your updates to a lessor time. If it updates when you are departing, there could be a drastic change in wind. If it flips to the opposing side then presto your stuck. ATC in FSX is far from real and desirable. You may want to look into another ATC add on. I will not make suggestions because it is a matter of what you are trying to accomplish. Good luck, there is nothing like doing it for real. Keep your cool and work through it. Nuff said. Cpt out.

1. This is not an ASE issue.

2. Please note that there is absolutely no wind speed or direction in that METAR and FS will use the default runways for landings and take offs as Steve stated.

1. Then why the problem disappeared when I deactivated ASE?

2. Yes there: Direction/speed 225/06

These are the winds: 00000KT.

I just did a copy paste from ASE but inside FSX it shows the same values: 225/06. Anyway, that wouldn't change anything since a few seconds before writing these words, I finished another experiment by using REX weather engine and....the problem isn't there! All traffic use the same runways for landing and departing. I already put a thread in HiFi forums to report this issue. Let's see how things would improve.

Is there a way to edit the default direction of flight in FSX? 

What I see is with little to no winds FSX seems to pick the opposite direction of flight then the real world uses. 

Example would be this morning I see the real world departing on runway 27 (KSAN looking at flightaware.com) but FSX wants me to depart on runway 9. 

The same is normally true in KPHX.  Almost always FSX will have you land / depart runway 8, where the real world normally uses runway 26.