Sign in to follow this  
AlphaDawg141

767-400?

Well, for what it is worth, I would buy a PMDG 767-400 in a heartbeat. I would enjoy it much more than a DC-6, that is for sure, a plane which I have zero intention of purchasing.

The idea of a PMDG 767 always was an appealing prospect to me, as the Level D one really really shows its age.

First, how you been, Scott? Long time without crossing paths here.

Anyway, interesting you have no interest in the DC-6. I have no interest in the 777, for several reasons. I think that's what makes the hobby interesting, no? That different people find different planes appealing.

To me a 767 after 777 and the NGX and the future 747.2, just seems like Boeing overkill. How many variants of Boeing products do we need? I like the idea that PMDG and others are doing things different than another 7X7 variant. It's that variety that keeps me interested in the hobby.

First, how you been, Scott? Long time without crossing paths here.

Anyway, interesting you have no interest in the DC-6. I have no interest in the 777, for several reasons. I think that's what makes the hobby interesting, no? That different people find different planes appealing.

To me a 767 after 777 and the NGX and the future 747.2, just seems like Boeing overkill. How many variants of Boeing products do we need? I like the idea that PMDG and others are doing things different than another 7X7 variant. It's that variety that keeps me interested in the hobby.

Hey Doug Long time no see. Things have been good, but busy. Hopefully things are good for you as well.

Been on a bit of an FSX break.......my limited sim time has been pretty much dominated with flying a bit higher and faster than FSX allows.

Yeah, Boeing overkill, that certainly is something PMDG has to think about. For myself, it is not such a big deal. I am a self-admitted Boeing a really excited user, so the more Boeing's the better, but I also know that the vast majority of simmers can't be like me, that I am a niche consumer when it comes to FSX.

Big reason I dont have much excitement for the DC-6 is the fact it is an old airplane, with steam gauges. Just not as appealing to me to fly in FSX as something that has all the glass, the flight computers, all that jazz. Which is why I love flying the NGX, it has a wonderful FMS, the HUD, autoland, the autopilots, all these new modern avionics and goodies to play with, things I am no where near qualified to fly in real life.

But flying things old fashioned has its appeal too. This past bit, all my FSX time has been spent flying around GA VFR....change of pace.

And I am sure once the DC-6 is released and people start posting their amazing adventures and pictures of using the plane, I will change my mind. :) I am a sucker for good publicity like that.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

It has almost the same flightdeck as the 777.

But the systems are still 767, so there is an interesting angle to it. But if there was to be an all new 767 I'd rather it was a 767-300 with the original flight deck.

ki9cAAb.jpg

With all due respect both of you (and others) that seem put off by this thread read the title and I will assume all the content in the post yet I have read about annoyance, irritation and general dissatisfaction with the OP, we all know PMDG's history.

Why would anyone entertain the idea of replying to a post like this in such a negative way. If you haven't anything nice to say or do not wish to help then do not reply, simple.

Well said. There's no adult reason to be thrashed in this manner for asking a simple question.

I wish all threads were submitted for aproval from admins before they appear, to stop request threads.

What, now we want every post moderated before it's allowed to be posted? Our mods are volunteers, not paid. They don't have time for that, nor is it something that the community wants in my opinion. If you read a request thread and don't like it, close it and move on.

Both of your proposed solutions, while effective in their stated aims, require that the regular forum users adapt their behaviour to suit the occaisional users and visitors. The result is informative and inoffensive, and it is perfect for a help desk forum.

But this is not a help desk. PMDG have a seperate channel for handling support tickets and it is not this forum.

This, in my opinion, is a community of individuals, who over time have grown to know and respect each other. There is some amazing expertise available, and there is, again in my opinion, tremendous advantages to fostering and encouraging those experts to share their wisdom here by maintaining a community they are comfortable with.

One of the definitions of a community or society is the collective willingness to abide by and enforce a common set of standards. Obviously, if someone does not know what those standards are, then it is difficult for them to abide by them, but equally, if someone does not demonstrate a willingness to even try to find out how a community operates, then it will be very difficult for the community to accept that individual.

You can argue that any individual has the right to join a community, and I would support you, but I would also argue that the individual who wants to join a community has a responsibilty to at least acknowledge and respect the communites standards, even if they have reasons not to conform to them.

Are you kidding me? Since when is there a differentiating line between me, a relatively new user, and someone with a thousand posts? A simple question is a simple question. There is no secret handshake that makes a "regular forum user" different from a brand new user with a simple question that has a simple answer. A simple "No development plans, see this post" and an inserted hyperlink would have answered the OP in civil adult manner. When new users get beaten about the head and shoulders like the OP, they move on and never contribute anything else out of fear. That doesn't benefit the community nor does the thrashing and bullying tone meet the community standards that you pointed out.

Another member said "I just wasted my time reading another request post.." or something along those lines. If you're wasting your time reading a thread, then don't read it. It took me all of 10 seconds to click on this post and read the OP's question 2-3 days ago. I had nothing to add so I closed it. 10 secs... WOW. I came back here because I wondered what could be so bad that there's a "Risk of Closure" flag on it after several days. The OP got lambasted for asking a simple question. There should be a "Risk of Censure" flag for those who use harsh, negative, or bullying tactics with new users.

I would say to everyone here who posted "Oh no, a request thread", or "Why can't you use the search function", or I wasted my time", or "You aren't conforming to community standards", or "I wasted my time reading this request thread", or something else that falls within these lines to picture themselves in the following scenario:

You just moved to a new city/town/country/whatever. You stop a shopper on the street and say, "I'm looking for a Thai restaurant. Do you know where I can find one, or are there plans to have one?" The responder shouts at you, "What the heck is wrong with you? Are you too stupid to use a directory? We've heard that question before. You're wasting my time! We don't like your type around here!!!"

Imaginge that a crowd descends upon you with the same treatment as this for a similar question. You would probably pack up and leave, and think, "My God. What a bunch of rude/crazy/obscene people. Treated me horribly for no reason. I'm leaving and never coming back." Now imagine that you were in a town without a doctor or auto mechanic or whatever, and you just blindly insulted that new person who had great potential to contribute to your community and they left. Wouldn't that be less then smart? Wouldn't you miss out? This is what happens every time someone asks a simple question and gets bludgeoned for it.

Is it just me, or is this thread substantially shorter than it was a couple hours ago?

Kevin: Differentiating line could be somewhere along the lines of knows not to ask for release dates, knows not to request his favourite plane and so... just sayin...

Is it just me, or is this thread substantially shorter than it was a couple hours ago?

Kevin: Differentiating line could be somewhere along the lines of knows not to ask for release dates, knows not to request his favourite plane and so... just sayin...

How about if we split the difference, Peter - A note is placed into the forum guidelines for this forum that says, "Please do not request release dates." Then the response could be a polite, "Please check the rules for this forum. You might have failed to notice that release date requests are not permitted."

Yes, the thread is shorter...

But this is not a help desk. PMDG have a seperate channel for handling support tickets and it is not this forum.

This, in my opinion, is a community of individuals, who over time have grown to know and respect each other. There is some amazing expertise available, and there is, again in my opinion, tremendous advantages to fostering and encouraging those experts to share their wisdom here by maintaining a community they are comfortable with.

This is primarily a support forum. That it is also a community is great. But its main purpose is to help fellow users. Dismissive answers don't help users and they don't improve the community either.

ki9cAAb.jpg

This topic is being monitored by PMDG staff also, for sure.

Imagine PMDG would ban anyone with dismissive replies from all future releases of their planes.

What a nice, polite and helpful community this would be ...

Kevin: Fine by me! Cheers :)

Oli: also dull and empty, I imagine. Your opinion may differ.

Gents-

I am going to close this topic.

The purpose of this forum is to enhance the ability of PMDG customers to enjoy the company of fellow simmers who enjoy the depth and quality of PMDG products.

I'm not certain why some of you felt the need to jump on Alex for asking what was (to him, and to us) a legitimate question.  Where a simple reply informing a fellow forum user would have been sufficient, a few of you felt it was okay to excoriate him for asking a question that had been answered before, or that was "boring."

Please, can we all take a moment and consider the fact that we are all here because we love airplanes and because we share a common hobby.

So look- please....

Lets try to be receptive to one another- even if it means we have to answer the same questions over and over for the new members.... 

Thanks, gents-  I appreciate it.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com