Sign in to follow this  
Bilal2104

what is a VOR?

hi friends,

im just wondering what a vor is. when i fly the ngx i always fel like i have not put some data in the fmc. and one thing is the vor freqency, i don't even know what a vor is and how to find the right frequency?. could somebody please explain to me?

many thanks.

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

Temptation was too much for me so I MUST post :rolleyes: :

Is this a troll? Flying the NGX and don't know VOR? ILS? Freqs?

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

VOR is short for VHF Omnidirectional Radio Range and used by aircraft to navigate and to determine their position by plotting radials and distances from that beacon. So very basic, it's a beacon on the ground and it's sending out 360 radials in which you can recieve and visualize on your HSI or ND (instrument). Airways are usually defined by VORs as well.

The frequencies corresponding to the VOR are normally found on a chart covering the area you are navigating in. In FSX you can find them in the 'map' as well. Google VOR symbol and you will see the symbol representing VORs. The VOR with a rectangle around it is a VOR/DME.

VORs are usually combined with a DME (Distance Measuring Equipment). (VOR/DME).

For more technical information I would advise you to have a look on the world wide web! :)

Another place to learn about VOR's, etc., is in the FSX Learning Center. When you first startup FSX, look in the left panel for Learning Center. The Learning Center will provide most of the information you need for getting you up in the air and flying. For VOR's you want to look into the Navigation Learning Center.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Wow, look at those responses. A fellow pilot comes asking for help and we send him to read cousin Google and all its millions of endless definitions. You think the guy couldn't do that? There are things which can be explained quickly and more efficiently by those who know--we FSXers. Yes, we can teach him to fish (or fly in this instance), but not by asking to read all within Google....This is equivalent to us looking for an address within a few blocks and someone comes by and ask that we read the entire city map.

Yup, when you fly NGX and ask what a VOR is, the whole city map is about what you have left before you are able to fly, so a bitta reading is gonna happen :)

23.png

Wow, look at those responses. A fellow pilot comes asking for help and we send him to read cousin Google and all its millions of endless definitions. You think the guy couldn't do that? There are things which can be explained quickly and more efficiently by those who know--we FSXers. Yes, we can teach him to fish (or fly in this instance), but not by asking to read all within Google....This is equivalent to us looking for an address within a few blocks and someone comes by and ask that we read the entire city map.

Your answer isn't helpful either in answering the question asked, please be so kind just to respond to the OP ;-)

That said back on topic have a great link http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/vor-nav.htm

Cheers,

André

Good link, but you really don't use alot of VORs when you fly modern tubeliners, a better advice would be to read the NGX manual, fly the tutorial flights, (while reading the tutorial flight manuals...) and read up on how modern airlines route their flights.

Check out Skyvector.com, should provide hours of fun :)

23.png

Good link, but you really don't use alot of VORs when you fly modern tubeliners, a better advice would be to read the NGX manual, fly the tutorial flights, (while reading the tutorial flight manuals...) and read up on how modern airlines route their flights.

Check out Skyvector.com, should provide hours of fun :)

I agree reading the manual or provide tutorials is always a good place to start ;-)

Every virtual Pilot should have at least a basic knowledge about VOR/NDB/DME etc... at least they do in the real world before they even come close to ATPL lol ;-)

skyvector.com is indeed great to :-)

André

That is very true, some fine piece of training is over at Angle of Attack at http://www.flyaoamedia.com/ with their Aviator 90 (free) and Aviator Pro and B737NG

It would set our OP back less than $100 and he would learn to fly like a champ!

23.png

I agree reading the manual or provide tutorials is always a good place to start ;-)

Every virtual Pilot should have at least a basic knowledge about VOR/NDB/DME etc... at least they do in the real world before they even come close to ATPL lol ;-)

skyvector.com is indeed great to :-)

It's probably well known around here, that I despise VORs. And I wouldn't even think of wasting money on a new "expensive" ADF radio to pick up NDBs. Yes, I've been a true fan of moving map GPS since 1994. At least here in the USA, with the added benefit of WAAS, you can't beat the accuracy & reliability of GPS. At to tube liners, some of the newer models (at least in the last 10 years) use GPS as the primary source of navigation. This is backed up with inertial reference nav & then the 60+ year old VOR system. BTW-- Just last week, I once again asked a Boeing 737-800 pilot friend of mine, how the reliability of the GPS system has been. It's now, about eleven years, since he momentarily lost GPS reception. And that was for less than a minute. With the five different aviation GPSs I've owned over the years, my reliability has been just as good.

P.S... you still need that basic knowledge of VOR & NDBs, to get a PPL around here. At least for a while...