Sign in to follow this  
Bilal2104

what is a VOR?

As one of the other posters said try flying the NGX tutorial flights. You will learn quite a bit.

Skyvector.com is your friend esp. if flying in the US.

http://www.vataware.com/flight.cfm?id=11271867

BTW this is my flight from earlier Flying the flyjsim 727 using VOR airways and Non Rnav sid and star.. Might not be the best route and I have made mistakes flying them but I have been planning the routes myself using skyvector and having a ton of fun flying them.. Not quite ready to fly in busy airspace without rnav yet but maybe with some practice.

Once you get used to it flying old steam gauge planes becomes a lot of fun.

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

Wow, look at those responses. A fellow pilot comes asking for help and we send him to read cousin Google and all its millions of endless definitions. You think the guy couldn't do that? There are things which can be explained quickly and more efficiently by those who know--we FSXers. Yes, we can teach him to fish (or fly in this instance), but not by asking to read all within Google....This is equivalent to us looking for an address within a few blocks and someone comes by and ask that we read the entire city map.

So as i see it you are as guilty as all the others!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

hi,

many thanks for the responses guys, im fairly new to the ngx still. as of basic information like the ils, waypoints, fixes and holds and other actions i can do. i just wanted a brief idea of what a vor is becuase i really had no idea.

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

Bad choice to fly the NGX before you know the basics.

Follow (and read!) the FSX learning center. It is useful for basics and will teach you nearly everything you need to know about navigation with VORs, NDBs, ILS, DME, etc.

So as i see it you are as guilty as all the others!

Yeah, but at least he's being less of a ****head.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

hi,

many thanks for the responses guys, im fairly new to the ngx still. as of basic information like the ils, waypoints, fixes and holds and other actions i can do. i just wanted a brief idea of what a vor is becuase i really had no idea.

This guy will show you everything about flying the NGX.

His knowledge is shared freely with anyone interested. I think you'll like them.

Wow, look at those responses. A fellow pilot comes asking for help and we send him to read cousin Google and all its millions of endless definitions. You think the guy couldn't do that? ...

He obviously couldn't - otherwise he wouldn't said " im just wondering what a vor is...i don't even know what a vor is."

Not wanting to highjack this thread, I think its related, specific Q...do all ILS airports have a VOR frequency?

Only reason I ask is because last night flying the Catalina X I could not get the VOR gauge to point to any ILS frequency I would tune into the NAV radio. The VOR gauge would just stay dead.

do all ILS airports have a VOR frequency?

ILS and VOR use the same freq spectrum, so probably the answer to your question is yes. But this does not mean that every ILS equipped airport has a VOR!

Did you check that the freq was set correctly (I don't know about the Catalina, but maybe you forgot to switch it to active. I doubt that this is necessary on the Catalina, though.)

This guy will show you everything about flying the NGX.

His knowledge is shared freely with anyone interested. I think you'll like them.

I don't know who this guys is, he makes brilliant videos and is very knowledgeable, but he sounds like he's about 12...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

...do all ILS airports have a VOR frequency?

if you mean do "all ILS airports have a VOR?", the answer is no. ILS and VOR are separate navaids. Also. they don't share the same frequency ranges.

An ILS localiser operates in the frequency range of 108.0 to 111.975 MHz. The ILS glideslope operates in the frequency range 328.6 to 335.4 MHz. this is paired with the localiser frequency so it's only necessary to tune to the localiser to automatically tune to the glideslope..

VOR operates in the frequency range of 111.975 to 117.975 MHz.

But this does not mean that every ILS equipped airport has a VOR!

Well I'd set the NAV unit to both frequencies, one to the standalone VOR towards my left and the 2nd to the ILS frequency of an airport to my right. Going back and forth with the transfer button, VOR one would show on VOR gauge fine, ILS freq would show VOR gauge dead. Tried this for 2 different smaller airports with ILS along my route.

Guest BeaverDriver

Not wanting to highjack this thread, I think its related, specific Q...do all ILS airports have a VOR frequency?

Only reason I ask is because last night flying the Catalina X I could not get the VOR gauge to point to any ILS frequency I would tune into the NAV radio. The VOR gauge would just stay dead.

No, many airports that have ILS' do not have a VOR on the field. Keep in mind that the ILS is not omni-directional. Your needle will only center when you are on the specific course to the runway that the ILS is attached to. So if you are wanting to do the ILS approach to RWY 07 (let's say the courseline is exactly 070 for this example), then once you are exactly on a course of 070 TO the runway (and not too many miles out - 15 to 20 or so), your needle will be centered. The closer you are to the runway, the more sensitive the needle becomes, but if you are 15 miles out and tracking 090 or 040 (just picking numbers here) to the airport (for example) your needle will be full deflection. Rotating the OBS will not affect where the needle points, unlike with a VOR stationed tuned in.

I don't know who this guys is, he makes brilliant videos and is very knowledgeable, but he sounds like he's about 12...

Matthew is 14 Howard and is studying to be an airline pilot.

Seems like to me, he's gonna 'breeze' it. lol