Sign in to follow this  
Anxu00

X-Plane 10 Support for multiple monitors

Hello,

I noticed several users are using three monitors with X-Plane 10. Does it create a panning view with the right aspect ratio? FSX gives a fish eye view that distort the view so much it looks ridiculous. Does XP10 have that problem? Also how does the three monitors solution perform? Do you have smooth rendering given good hw like GTX 680? I tried searching the forum but nothing specific came up.

Thanks in advance.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

The optimal setup for multi-monitors with X-Plane is to dedicate a separate PC for each display and have them networked to a master computer (btw you can also network separate PCs for other stuff such as panels, Instructor's station, etc). The best example is this guy who's networked 5 PC's for just his visuals http://forum.avsim.net/topic/399223-xplane-10-on-five-60-tvs/#entry2591406

You cant get away from that fisheye unless the game supports rendering for different viewpoints.

so yes, xplane has the same issue that fsx does. FSX lets you render three views to get around this but you can expect your frames to drop. Xplane doesnt give you this option as far as I am aware so as carrot said, the only way to do it is to run it on multiple computers.

Here is the problem with doing it this way, aside from the obvious cost. Your track IR doesnt work anymore. If you are used to using trackir with your three screen setup then you have to forget about it in these sims if you setup fsx or xplane as just described.

The best option for track ir is to have the fisheye.

Other sims give you it all. Some do it really well like iracing and DCS world has good support. Maybe xplane will catch up but I dont think so in the near future.

I think with a couple more gens of graphics cards you may be able to run an extreme resolution like 5760*4320 and just display the central 5760x1080 area on screen for a distortion free view of things.

Thanks for the info.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I finished my 3-monitor setup a few days ago, all driven by a single GTX670. Fisheye is definitely there, my field of view is set to 120° or 130°.

Surprisingly, the framerates seem to be around the same as when I was running XP on a single screen at the same rendering settings (other than field of view). I haven't done rigorous testing to see if that's actually the case. I'm flying daytime only at the moment with HDR off.