Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

Orbx CEF4 Airdrie

http://www.fullterra...oduct_cef4.html

Looks really, really nice. Appeals to me, since it's in my home province. But I'm slightly worried about it's proximity to a nicely upgraded Calgary... has anyone tried this out yet? Any word on framerates?

I do wish that Orbx had a Flight1 style return policy. This would be an automatic purchase if they did, instead of a 'wait and see'.

Omg... disregard. I didn't notice the 'Soon' thing on the screen, until i went to see it's cost and couldn't find a Buy link. :blush:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Thanks for the heads up! It still shows as 'Soon' on the Orbx site. Guess I didn't need to correct my original post after all. :lol:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Orbx' site often lags behind a day or two in getting the front page links working. For recent releases, check the "Release annoucements" page and you'll usually be able to find a good link.

Enjoy!

Scott

Wow!! I'm a big fan of Orbx and FTX but this, is ridiculous !!

Waht do you mean? The scenery, or that the link on the frontpage doesn't exist yet?

Guys, in case you are not aware, Ralph (SimAddons) is in the final stages of completing a payware Calgary Int'l airport that will be compatible with the Orbx airpark CEF4. The Simaddon CYYC will have a scenery manager to enable turning on and off features so that it can be compatible with the Orbx airpark. In addition, typical of Ralph's creations (extra enhancements), it will include the Olympic ski park, with running ski lifts. And most interestingly, I would bet, that the price for Calgary Int'l will be about the same as Orbx's airpark making it a stunning deal.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Guys, in case you are not aware, Ralph (SimAddons) is in the final stages of completing a payware Calgary Int'l airport that will be compatible with the Orbx airpark CEF4.

Thanks for the heads up!

Curious (which was my initial intent of starting the thread) to see if anyone has any info regarding their experiences with performance of CEF4 in how it relates to being so close to a large city. City areas covered by Orbx cause me serious framerate problems unless I turn down scenery to the point where it's not worth having.

Off the topic of Orbx but on topic of other airports being upgraded, I've always thought CYEG would be a good airport for an upgrade, since it's far enough outside of the city that you could take a hit from eye candy and AI and not have to deal with heavy autogen in the area. ^_^

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Waht do you mean? The scenery, or that the link on the frontpage doesn't exist yet?

I was referring to the scenery.

Just can't understand why such a big developer of addon scenery would put their talent and resources on this. Basically a tiny airpark and a lumber yard for $30. I can think of many better choices in their FTX coverage area.

Can't imagine to many simmers going for this one.

I was referring to the scenery.

Just can't understand why such a big developer of addon scenery would put their talent and resources on this. Basically a tiny airpark and a lumber yard for $30. I can think of many better choices in their FTX coverage area.

Can't imagine to many simmers going for this one.

Steve, this is exactly the kind of field that Orbx has long done - and I for one am glad someone focuses on small GA fields. Look at the list of fields they've done for NA, and you'll see this is pretty much right in their sweet-spot. Many of their NA fields are actually smaller. Also keep in mind that this fills in with quite a bit of scenery in Calgary itself.

Not your cup of meat? I get that - not all of their smaller fields have been on my buy list either - but it's hardly ridiculous. Do you have either of Vlad's small freeware fields? They're quite good, and I'm almost happy to have something I can actually pay him for after enjoying the other two for free for so long.

That said, I was kinda hoping he'd do Springbank first for that area. :-)

Scott

That said, I was kinda hoping he'd do Springbank first for that area.

That would be great too! Springbank would allow nice short flights to High River & Claresholm without having to deal with Calgary. Maybe it's on his to-do list... Those other two freeware airports by Vlad are really great.

While I understand the disdain for small GA fields in areas a person doesn't care like to fly, it's completely different situation when they start getting closer to home, at least it is for me.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

That would be great too! Springbank would allow nice short flights to High River & Claresholm without having to deal with Calgary. Maybe it's on his to-do list...

Jim, Springbank is on the 2013 list from Orbx, and I assume it'd be Vlad who's doing it as that seems to be his territory. Its location on the west side of Calgary is more attractive to me as well.

Actually, using both I can imagine a nice VFR siteseeing flight from CEF4 up to Jasper, down the Icefields Parkway to Banff and then landing at CYBW, taking advantage of both airport's locations. If you've never flown the Icefields Parkway in Orbx-land, you're really missing something, as it's amazing how well they've modeled it. All of the major landmarks are easy to find for those familiar with that spectacular route.

Scott

Jim, Springbank is on the 2013 list from Orbx,

That's great news - i don't really follow the 'upcoming' when it comes to scenery, so I wasn't aware of that.

If you've never flown the Icefields Parkway in Orbx-land, you're really missing something, as it's amazing how well they've modeled it. All of the major landmarks are easy to find for those familiar with that spectacular route.

Indeed it is! I'm extremely familiar with the area around Jasper, and have spent time improving the area (not much to do to the grass strip airport!) landclass, bridges, cabins, docks, etc with Orbx libraries & Instant Scenery, as well as trying to improve it in FS9 as well (more work!). I've flown a few flights following Hwy 16 all the way from Edmonton to Prince Rupert. I've also done the flight from Jasper to Banff, not to mention tons of flights around Jasper trying to find locations that I know well. Orbx is great in the Rockies!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I'd love to see an ORBX version of Golden, BC...that's one of my usual start/finish airports for flights through the Bow Valley...it would be a great pairing with CYBW or CEF4.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU