Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

Orbx CEF4 Airdrie

I'd love to see some more BC airports from Orbx period. As long as they're well removed from Vancouver, I'd be happy with almost any location.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I was referring to the scenery.

Just can't understand why such a big developer of addon scenery would put their talent and resources on this. Basically a tiny airpark and a lumber yard for $30. I can think of many better choices in their FTX coverage area.

Can't imagine to many simmers going for this one.

There are alot of us GA flyers out there who love this stuff.

Simple solution for you is.................don't buy it.

Jas

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr

Just can't understand why such a big developer of addon scenery would put their talent and resources on this. Basically a tiny airpark and a lumber yard for $30. I can think of many better choices in their FTX coverage area.

Can't imagine to many simmers going for this one.

Hey maybe ridiculous is a little much, unfortunate is probably more like it. Again I am a BIG fan. I like the smaller GA type airports too. However, there are far to many neglected airports in their coverage area that would appeal to a broader group of simmers. Kelowna, Penticton, Kamloops, Chilliwack, Abbotsford, Victoria, just to name a few in BC. I guess my expectations for a $30 airport from Orbx might include airports I can use for many types of aircraft in my hanger. There's a Q400 on the horizon. If this were a suitable airport I would be buying.

Cheers

Steve

There are alot of us GA flyers out there who love this stuff.

Simple solution for you is.................don't buy it.

Jas

Agreed. I recently bought the Duke from Real Air. Just getting into GA flying (giving the NGX a rest) and after taking her down to Key West and Nassau I am now working my way out west to the Orbx airports (currently stopped in Valdosta, GA). Looking forward to buying some of these Orbx airports. Think Spokane will be my first.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Eric 

Thanks for your reply.

Well, I think, that ORBX does a great job doing exactly this kind of airfields. and as others have pointed out before, they've been successfully doing so for quite some time now! The only thing that might keep me from buying it is the fact that right now there's not too many other addons in the closer vicinity, that are covered with addons (or reports of major bugs or bad FPS, but I highly doubt that).

I agree with you that the northwestern US and Canada are sadly neglected with good airport addons (except for the airfields by ORBX), though.

Regards,

Flo

If you look at the airports Vlad has done there all GA Alberta airports which he probably chose himself so I wouldn't expect anything too different in his next airport.

Revelstoke BC would be a great one for Orbix to do. The setting is challenging and beautiful. Another would be Golden BC....great RNAV approach there.

Revelstoke BC would be a great one for Orbix to do

Just looked that up in Google Earth, and I have to agree. It looks like fun and quite a challenge to fly into that airport, a bit like Innsbruck...

However, there are far to many neglected airports in their coverage area that would appeal to a broader group of simmers. Kelowna, Penticton, Kamloops, Chilliwack, Abbotsford, Victoria, just to name a few in BC.

i know some people want to ORBX everything but OryxSim has done some of the airports you have mentioned http://www.oryxsim.eu/index.php?cID=65 and there is also the freeware CYYJ and Victoria+ sceneries. Perhaps that may also play into ORBX's decision on whether or not to develop an airport.

That completely reminds me to buy Kelowna X from them... I always mean to and I keep forgetting about it. For the cheap price they ask for it, it seems like a decent deal to me, especially since I can install it in both FS9 and FSX.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

However, there are far to many neglected airports in their coverage area that would appeal to a broader group of simmers. Kelowna, Penticton, Kamloops, Chilliwack, Abbotsford, Victoria, just to name a few in BC.

I would probably buy every airport on this list if they did 'em, so I can't disagree with your choices - but this list is at the upper end of (and beyond in some cases) the kinds of airports they've done in North America to date. FYI, here's their announced list for NA in 2013, and they're, as is typical for them, mostly small fields. It's what they do with a small handful of exceptions:

KVUO - Pearson

CEF4 - Airdrie

65S - Bonners Ferry

CYBW - Springbank Calgary

CFX2 - Okotoks Air Ranch, AB

CZPC - Pincher Creek AB

WN54 - Ellerport

KBZN - Bozeman Yellowstone Intl

KELN - Bowers Field

S93 - Cle Elum

KSQL - San Carlos Airport

Scott

Pincher Creek will be awesome to have. I think Okotoks is done by Oryxsim already? I'd check but their website seems to be down atm.

Looks like Orbx may be getting some money out of me this year. :) I'd still like them to come further north though, in both BC and Alberta. I could think of many small strips that could use the Orbx touch!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Bonners Ferry, Springbank, Pincher Creek, Bozeman and San Carlos (which will mean NoCal at long last!) are all on my list. Some of the others are maybes, depending on how they "call to me" after I see the images. And, of course, there will probably be a few surprises as usual. With southern AK getting very close, I can't imagine they won't sneak something out for the new region before the year's over.

Scott

Pincher Creek will be awesome to have. I think Okotoks is done by Oryxsim already? I'd check but their website seems to be down atm.

Looks like Orbx may be getting some money out of me this year. :) I'd still like them to come further north though, in both BC and Alberta. I could think of many small strips that could use the Orbx touch!

Regarding your comment "many small strips.etc". I have already done this myself for many strips. It takes me about 1 hour per strip to beef up a small strip with the Orbx look. While I will continue to buy Orbx regions and airports since they do add great detail, it is possible to just use Instant Scenery for object placement including animated people to an airport. You can also make your own "flow" files if you know what your doing. The only thing missing is usually custom buildings particular to the airstrip you are working with. Use Google to "see" what they more or less look like and start adding buildings, clutter, grass, people....I also add stuff on the approaches, like farm equipments, bales of hay, some extra buildings and such and you get a much nicer looking strip. With some practice I say about 1 hr is all that I need.

I can't afford to keep up with all the good products on the market anymore, for instance the Orbx ENG airports, I am just going to skip so that I can focus on NA airstrips.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

While I will continue to buy Orbx regions and airports since they do add great detail, it is possible to just use Instant Scenery for object placement including animated people to an airport.

As do I, often with adjustments using ADE as well. The Orbx libraries + Instant Scenery is a lot of fun. It's kind of ironic, at many Orbx airports I turn down the detail somewhat - through either their settings or turning off bgl files. But then I turn around and add all the detail to other airports. :lol:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.