Sign in to follow this  
Spook

Alt. Destination

During my last flight from EDDN to EGGD, my fuel calculations were off somewhat as the FMC informed me crossing the east coast UK.

So, being the top pilot that i am B) looking for the closest airport ( with scenery :) (EGKK Gatwick) i punched it into the Alt. Des page. all good.But now what?..no options to do anything, like load a star ect into the new Destination.

Secondly, The manuals.. :huh: These manuals need a manual on how to read the manual :wacko: ..

a hour and a half later after pausing the sim, ive searched the manuals till im bogged eyed and have a headache, and am still none the wiser on how to program the FMC the way i wanted, or wether it can even be done as i could not find anything whatsoever about it in the manual(S) apart from the section that says if i push the alt des button ill go to the alt des page.

Well, i ended up continuing to the origin, EGGD, as the progress page said i'd have 0.5 fuel at destination..It lied.

Lost eng 1 on final, followed shorly by 2 .. :( so close!

Can anyone educate me on wether the FMC can have a Alt Dest put iin whilst on the fly?

ALT DEST is only for planning.

If you want to go there, you change DEST on RTE 1.

Matt Cee

Ha, that is actually making your pulse go a little, cool, what happened, did you reach, glide onto M1 or crash?

23.png

lol its always fun flying NGX :rolleyes:

i was going to put it in the RTE1 page but as i wasnt sure, and didnt want to screw up the F/P that was already loaded..

I never made it to the runway, short by 4 miles <_< :angry: :lol:

Now i know for next time.

Thinking back i never made the runway because i lost control, or Hydrolics...Apart from *not running out of fuel in the first place* , what would the procedure be for a double engine/Hydrolic loss??? ( havnt seen a RAT knowhere)

Thanks for the replys guys!

what would the procedure be for a double engine/Hydrolic loss??? ( havnt seen a RAT knowhere)

Son, Just start Prayin' like crazy............

lol its always fun flying NGX :rolleyes:

i was going to put it in the RTE1 page but as i wasnt sure, and didnt want to screw up the F/P that was already loaded..

I never made it to the runway, short by 4 miles <_< :angry: :lol:

Now i know for next time.

Thinking back i never made the runway because i lost control, or Hydrolics...Apart from *not running out of fuel in the first place* , what would the procedure be for a double engine/Hydrolic loss??? ( havnt seen a RAT knowhere)

Thanks for the replys guys!

Your picture shows you 4.1 miles from the threshold at 1640 RA, you stall out of the sky? :P

When you lost the first engine you probably should have retracted the flaps to 15 (speed allowing) to allow you to glide further before the second engine drops out. You also always have manual reversion when the hydraulics are lost, as most the the NG's flight controls are phyiscally linked, though motion range is much more limited. The rudder you put into standby mode to maintain function.

The NG doesn't have a RAT.

Son, Just start Prayin' like crazy............

:Praying: i was...didnt help me much tho! :biggrin:

Your picture shows you 4.1 miles from the threshold at 1640 RA, you stall out of the sky? :P

When you lost the first engine you probably should have retracted the flaps to 15 (speed allowing) to allow you to glide further before the second engine drops out. You also always have manual reversion when the hydraulics are lost, as most the the NG's flight controls are phyiscally linked, though motion range is much more limited. The rudder you put into standby mode to maintain function.

The NG doesn't have a RAT.

Hi Jay

Unfortunatly unable to glide the 4 miles...when the engines died, i didnt have any control, pulled the yoke to my stomach with no effect :unsure:

''Brace Brace Brace'' :O

When you first noticed your fuel problem you should have started a decent into the traffic pattern of the nearest airport with emergency equip like EGKK.

Like Matt C said, the ALT RTE is for planning only.

You should never rely completely on the FMC or map to get you where you need to go, especially in an emergency when you need to act quickly.

Disengage A/P and fly the airplane - if you have to switch to VFR rules until you can get your RTE sorted in the FMC.

There is no pause in real world :P

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

Disengage A/P and fly the airplane - if you have to switch to VFR rules until you can get your RTE sorted in the FMC.

You're probably not going to switch to VFR, but you might turn before you're got clearance from ATC.

One of the training scenarios I did last year was a cargo fire. The Captain worked on letting ATC know what we were doing (returning to our departure, PAJN) and I swung us around in HDG SEL and LVL change until the Captain had the FMC ready for LNAV/VNAV.

This was all IFR under emergency authority.

Matt Cee

Fire in the airplane is no funny matter. Here I think though a call to ATC for a vector to EGxx for fuel diversion would suffice. Worst case declare emergency fuel.