Sign in to follow this  
cbtaylor

London to Cape Town, old-school

I found a nice article here, describing Sir Alan's survey route and journey. Looks fun! I'm off to find a vintage float plane (although the default Beaver or the Goose might be fun as well). Who's in?

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

Hi Craig. Looks like he used a Short Singapore mk1for his epic journey. There is a nice one at www.britsim.com. Worth a look :-)

TEAM AVSIM "Fly Anything" Member     BAW 1193

Boeing777_Banner_TechTeam.jpgBry_zps718b876b.png

Thanks for the tip, Bry; I'll check it out. I'm thinking I may need an amphibian, though, due to the scarcity of suitable water landing facilities in FSX Africa. Right now the default Goose is my fall-back. I want to limit myself to pre-WW2 and use dead-reckoning and NDB-only nav. I am also considering the J2F Duck by Paul Domingue over at the Outhouse.

This will be similar to last year's Cape-to-Cape for me, which I wasn't able to finish. I'll try to keep everyone amused with a running journal.

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

He flew one of these,

the de-Havilland DH.50's......

http://en.wikipedia....Havilland_DH.50

Sara, you are correct. Sir Alan conducted his survey to Cape Town in a DH.50. He flew the Short Singapore Mk1 in a circumnavigation of Africa a year or two later. I can't find a DH.50 for FSX, so I will have to find a stand-in. :wink:

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

I can't find a DH.50 for FSX, so I will have to find a stand-in. :wink:

A possible OZx stand-in.

Ant's Tiger Moth would be a very nice one as well.

Stag Lane is "gone" and Hatfield (EGTH - where de Havilland AC later moved to) is filled with houses... I found nearby Panshanger (EGLG) a nice turf strip... AMY ready to go...

Rob,

Those are both nice aircraft, but they won't have the needed range for some of the longer legs. Some of Cobham's legs are around 365 nm. Still, no reason why we(?) can't just stop along the way to top off. Our trip doesn't have to completely mirror his stop for stop.

I like the suggested departure field. I was going to use London City, but this looks more "authentic." Where does that grass texture come from?

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

Rob,

I've been doing a little more searching. What about some of the other offerings at Golden Age Simulations? Although not British, I think there are a few that might work a little better than the DH Moths in terms of speed and range. I'm thinking specifically of the Boeing Model 40. It bears a resemblance to the DH.50 (although somewhat bigger, a little faster, and longer legged). No floats, but that's really just an option for me.

I'm willing to go payware if it's a good rendition (and screenshots look OK to me). Just spit-ballin' here. Teamspeak to discuss this afternoon?

EDIT (Although I swear I thought I posted this in a new entry):

Another freeware candidate is Tim "Piglet" Conrad's Waco UPF-7. He updated it for FSX SP2, I think. It's available at the Outhouse.

Craig Taylor

Craig.png?dl=1

Doesn't Milton Shupe have a DH-80 Puss Moth for FSX? It's certainly a worthy candidate, having made the England-Cape Town run with Amy Johnson, and her husband Jim Mollison made transatlantic flights with one also. A Puss Moth was also a competitor in the 1934 MacRobertson.

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

This might be the perfect old bird to use , Craig , I`m downloading now

That was my "possible OZx stand-in" (Amy in above pic was one livery) :P Glad you agree btw. :P :P :P

Doesn't Milton Shupe have a DH-80 Puss Moth for FSX? ... A Puss Moth was also a competitor in the 1934 MacRobertson.

Yep... a number of us flew it during the 2009 SOH MacRobertson. Actually discussed using this last night.

What about some of the other offerings at Golden Age Simulations?

Sounds good... if Wacos I'm thinking the Alabeo YMF5.

Teamspeak to discuss this afternoon?

k k awake now btw...

Yep... a number of us flew it during the 2009 SOH MacRobertson. Actually discussed using this last night.

Oops... my bad... sorry for the confusion. Sounds like an awesome event!.

:P

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Oops... my bad... sorry for the confusion. Sounds like an awesome event!.

no no... no problem... it was a great event... maybe this summer again (hint for you and some friends to spam MM, Rob & Austin about it :Big Grin: )