Sign in to follow this  
Fernandobs

New computer for the PMDG 777. What do you think?

Hey guys,

Have a look in the computer that I am thinking to build for the new 777. From 0 to 10 what would it be your score? and what would you change to make it even better?

Case

CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 650D GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)

Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor Extreme i7-3970X (3.5GHz) 15MB Cache

Motherboard

ASUS® RAMPAGE IV EXTREME: INTEL X79, SOCKET 2011, R.O.G

Memory (RAM)

16GB KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS QUAD-DDR3 1600MHz X.M.P(4 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card

4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

2nd Graphics Card

NONE

Memory - 1st Hard Disk

480GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

2nd Hard Disk

1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE

RAID

NONE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive

4x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ROM (£27)

Power Supply

CORSAIR 1050W PRO SERIES™ HX1050-80 PLUS® GOLD MODULAR (£159)

Processor Cooling

Corsair H100 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler (£89)

Thermal Paste

ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Sound Card

ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

What you guys think?

thinking to build for the new 777

I would wait to buy a new computer until they come out with the recommended/minimum specifications for the 777. What people think would work may be different from what will work.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

I would wait to buy a new computer until they come out with the recommended/minimum specifications for the 777. What people think would work may be different from what will work.

Whilst this is sound advice...I'd be very, very surprised if that PC didn't run the 777.

I don't know how much that will cost but it would suck if you spent more money than you need to. You never no what specs the 777 needs. Just wait

It's not really the 777 that will be consuming, it's everything else you pile on your FSX.

With no addon weather or scenery I get ridiculously good frames in the NGX (30-50) on fairly high settings and I'm onna laptop hooked up to a 1920x1080p monitor! Even with AS2012 I don't really see a difference - only time I do is when I'm using an add-on scenery. Considering we may see even better performance in the 777 you probably won't need something ridiculous if you want it mainly for the 777.

If it gives you an example how good PMDG are with performance; I get better frames in the NGX than any other product, from LDS 767 to Carenado's SR22 HD.

That computer will basically run anything :) As for the people say wait for the pmdg 777.

I will say just build this com u will never regret it. It should be more than enough

Hi,

I was under the impression that PMDG said somewhere, if your PC will run the 737NGX ok then it will run the 777 too. Why spend all your money now, why not wait to see how the 777 performs, on your existing PC first!

EGLL77W is right, it's not the 777 that will kill your PC it's all the other stuff your running at the same time that kills FSX......................Scenery, Airports, AI traffic (big frame rate killer), Weather...........They all take a chuck out of your PC's performance.

If you do build that wonderful PC, can I have it when you build the next one, lol.

Happy flying.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Not really. PMDG have said that they expect similar performance to the NGX, if not better.

For what it's worth the specs OP has posted seem good enough for FSX.

You should check the overclock potential of the 3970 since that'll be your biggest concern. Is the multiplier on it unlocked anyway? I have an i5-3570k running at 4.5Ghz with the H100i cooler and it runs FSX like a charm. The 3770k I believe can even hit 5Ghz and still run stable. Remember, HT and all those cores does nothing for you for FSX. I would also go with the Maximus V Formula. It has the Z77 chipset. I'm running it with a 4GB GTX 670 and its pretty solid.

It's not really the 777 that will be consuming, it's everything else you pile on your FSX.

With no addon weather or scenery I get ridiculously good frames in the NGX (30-50) on fairly high settings and I'm onna laptop hooked up to a 1920x1080p monitor! Even with AS2012 I don't really see a difference - only time I do is when I'm using an add-on scenery. Considering we may see even better performance in the 777 you probably won't need something ridiculous if you want it mainly for the 777.

If it gives you an example how good PMDG are with performance; I get better frames in the NGX than any other product, from LDS 767 to Carenado's SR22 HD.

Agreed! I run a Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, 6 GB RAM and a 480GTX with 768 MB VRAM with the NGX, like you Luke I don't run any add-on scenery, just updated AFCAD files for the aiport, and my FPS is very good. All things considered, I shouldn't think that I would need any better for the 777 since PMDG did say it was going to be more efficient than the 737 NGX even, and after the SP1C, my pc can run it with full details on the displays and the model texturing.

That said, your new system should handle just about anything just fine!

Kind regards

+1

I never wondered what specs I need to run a PMDG plane. For me it was just the other way round: I used the PMDG recommendations for their NGX as a yardstick, when I was looking for a new rig.

I'm pretty sure it'll run the T7 in a decent manner, too, even though I "goofed" with the graphics card ...

For bragging rights...very cool, but only for the few months (or even weeks) that it will stay top of the heap. Something will be along to replace it as this weeks 'cutting edge', probably even before the T7 is out. What monitors will you be driving with it?

For other uses, it is probably fine, but you might want to give some thought to having a dedicated FSX box aswell. An i5 overclocked to 4.5GHz, with 8GRam, 120G SSD and a GT560Ti would probably give you the same frame rate as your monster for about the same price as your processor.