Sign in to follow this  
Fernandobs

New computer for the PMDG 777. What do you think?

What clock are you aiming at? I should probably brag about my new system as well! Its in the final stage of part acquisition

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

I have a Dell XPS 8500 on order with close to those same specs. I was due for a new computer anyway. Maybe I'll see 25+ frame rates at busy airports instead of 6 to 10 . I'm a little concerned about Windows 8 and FSX working together though.

Wayne Larsen

Man this computer is a 20 on a scale of 1 to 10. If you can't run the 777 on this than nobody can. I can run multiple weather addons and aircraft addons on my laptop and I get a horrible 4fps but it works. Your system is amazing, you should easily get 60fps++++ with that. The i7 extreme is an amazing processor and as long as you have enough RAM which you do fsx should run beautifully with your system.

Remy Mermelstein

Remymerm@aol.com

777-300 FS Pilot

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein
777-300 FS Pilot, Deltava

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

39990572681_f326ac97d7_o.jpg

My slight concern is the CPU's overclockability and will the cooling hold up to extreme OC? For my new build, I went for a mainstream CPU with an overkilled cooling system. Because after all, FSX is about raw CPU power.

Brendan Chen

yes, cooling is very important and if the processor does not want to overclock dont force it. My friend has his i7 at 3.8ghz and it is working very well, but he has a ridiculous amount of cooling.

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

yes, cooling is very important and if the processor does not want to overclock dont force it. My friend has his i7 at 3.8ghz and it is working very well, but he has a ridiculous amount of cooling.

Wow, i7 only at 3.8!? What model i7 is it?

Brendan Chen

He got it a couple months ago. I forget which model it is. He overclocked it to 4.4ghz but then brought it down for some reason. He's gonna try again soon I think.

Remy Mermelstein

Remymerm@aol.com

777-300 FS Pilot

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein

He got it a couple months ago. I forget which model it is. He overclocked it to 4.4ghz but then brought it down for some reason. He's gonna try again soon I think.

Remy Mermelstein

Remymerm@aol.com

777-300 FS Pilot

Couple months ago, the CPU couldn't hv been too old... Interesting that he can only get it to run 3.8...

Brendan Chen

I would change your memory...suggest 1866 or higher speed/ CL9 with 16gb @ 2x8....4 sticks of memory is not recommended if you are planning to overclock. I believe it puts alot more stress on the memory controller.other then that it looks awesome...should kick the s---t out of FSX and 777 with a ton of add-ons.

Good luck

There seem to be two types of "Will my computer run xyz" threads.

Type 1: people with old, weak hardware who want a real answer

Type 2: people with top-of-the-line computers wanting a platform to brag about it

I'm smelling Type 2 here.

Dave P. Woycek

I don't know why people upgrade PC for just PMDG 777. They already said it will be like NGX or better in performance. Its not a good way to spend money for just one add on.

There seem to be two types of "Will my computer run xyz" threads.

Type 1: people with old, weak hardware who want a real answer

Type 2: people with top-of-the-line computers wanting a platform to brag about it

I'm smelling Type 2 here.

Agreed. Or to put it another way, rather, an expanded way.

Type 1: people with old, weak hardware who may not really understand the simple fact that FSX requires raw CPU power to run (in a nutshell), and want to know how they can get type 2 people's performance by going through tweaks which are tested and agreed and easily available upon simple search of forums

Type 2: people with top-of-the-line computers with the whole world's exciting, hoping to share their joy with a platform(s), or alternatively wanting to know how much can they expect of their hardware in theory. I say in theory because no one will know until they actually put it together, OC it and run it.

I smell type 2 here too. So good on ya fernandob! I feel your excitement and hope to see how it goes!

Brendan Chen