Sign in to follow this  
Splash_One

Preparing for Flight Training

Hey Everyone, (Preferably Real Pilots/Student Pilots)So my time has come, to train to get my license to learn- My Private Pilots License. As soon as the school year is over (Seven days as of 6/17/03) I will schedule my lessons at KBLM. I'll be flying a C152 :) :+ Question Time... :+ 1) I have already taken introductory flights, what am I to expect during my first lesson? (I already have a 90% idea of what is going to happen as my instructor has told me)2) What materials / objects will I need? (I.E. - Are headsets supplied free- or are the rented hourly? In the intro flights they just gave me one so I can't be sure. Yes, I know to bring my logbook :-lol )3)Would you personally recommend to buy sunglasses? I hear they can be very annoying with the headsets and you may just end up taking them off :)Thats all I can think of for now :) If you have any other information in regards to flight training, I would love to hear it :)Thanks from a future pilot,( :-roll )Jason :-wave

Well first off let me congratulate you and wish you all the best in your future endeavors!Now to your questions,First off when I was CFI-ing even if the student had an intro flight under their belt I still used the very first flight as an introductory flight. First I would meet the student at the field and schedule about an hour to sit and discuss the flight, plane and just get to know each other.At the plane I would do the preflight on a very basic level (I would have already done a thorough preflight prior to the arrival of the student) then I would get the student situated in the left seat before belting myself in. First flight would be a normal straight out departure and I

Thanks for the information JP :) I know I probably wont be getting sick while flying (from several past flights, we did many steep turns, very turbulent day, May I add. Im also the roller coaster junkie, but i'm not sure if that will affect motion sickness in small aircraft) even though I have learned that even if you know you don't - it may eventually happen... For the headset- I know they can run very expensive. I myself have around $500 spare cash ($60 to go to FS9) I hope not to use all of that up- but I am willing to use a large majority of it to get a good quality headset. I'm fine with very loud noises, but that is damaging after a while so I would want some decent protection. Do you have any recommendations for a headset as in instructor? Thanks again,Jason :-wave

David Clark makes a fine headset that will last you litterally forever, I've still got my H10 that I bought over 10 years ago. Although I don't use it in my current job, I do on occsion drag it out when I go fly a friends Seneca or rent something.http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&D...D=1413&CATID=94Also look into Telex, they make fine headsets as well.http://www.sportys.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&D...ectGroup_ID=501Regards,

Also if you already havn't ask your instructor for a copy of his lesson plan this will help you and him gauge your progress and you'll also know where he plans to take you regarding book cirr.Are you using Jeppesen or ASA textbooks?

Thanks again JP :) I was looking into David Clark's before, I'll have to look into reviews for them :D I'm not sure which textbooks they/we will use. The whole place is covered in Jeppesen stuff, so that may be the case with the textbooks. Jason :-wave

Went to their site and found out what they use:"We have increased the product line to include many different materials, such as: books, including the following publishers; ASA, Jeppesen & Iowa Books, NOS products, headsets (Softcom, FlightCom, Peltor, ect.), and many other pilot supplies."http://www.eaglesviewaviation.com/whoiseva.htmSo it's both :)Jason :-wave