Sign in to follow this  
Finnburger

Mykonos rwy 16 approach

Hi!

I tried my best, but there it is.

Anyone have any tips to make this approach smoother?

I used this site to help me find out the procedure.

http://pilotsbriefin...2011/09/page/7/

Pro-atc-X seems unaware of this since it wants me to approach over the hills from north.

The real world approach video is here:

Regards,

Arto

Arto Hiltunen

Welcome to AVSIM!

Very interesting approach and scenery, but . . . ouch—hard landing! Try observing and maintaining V/S more precisely, especially during large turns. Consider going around if your approach becomes unstable.

Hi!

Thanks for the tip. I did try to maintain certain rate of of descent, but the turn at the harbour makes it hard. I can turn ok in a ga plane, but I guess I have to start to practice Airbus manual turns.

Arto Hiltunen

It's definitely all about practice, especially in getting used to using the FBW systems. Also, panning your view and picking a visual reference point to base your turn off of is crucial. My biggest piece of advice, load your flight up back in Mykonos. If you use the autopilot, use selected speed only (CLB detent with the throttle levers and pull (right click) the speed FCU knob).

Practice managing your turn and altitude first, and only fly at 1100' manually. Do not descend, just maintain that 1100', and work on your turn to final. Pass the runway at 1100' and do it again. Do it until you can get your turn to maintain 1100' and line up at the runway at the same time, all by manual control. Finally, start managing your speed in your downwind, base, and final turns, so that you are on that short base fully set up and at your approach speed and full flaps.

Next, do circuits at 1100', but now begin your descent to have a nice glidepath down to the runway as you turn base to final. The best way to do this is pick a point on the runway, and guide the aircraft to that point. Make small deliberate corrections to your pitch as necessary. If you look at your point on the runway, you want to see it not moving in relation to its surroundings. If it seems to be moving 'up' on your screen, you are descending too fast. If it is moving 'down' your screen, you are not descending fast enough. It may be tough to understand what I mean, but once you practice and get it down, you'll see exactly what I mean.

Do it until it clicks. This approach is not an easy one if you are just beginning out. You may want to manually fly some regular circuits on a flat-terrain airport just to give yourself some more practice, and then incorporate what you learned there into this approach. Just some brief advice that I'm used to giving with speech and not text, but hopefully it will help you out.

If you have not already, pop on over to the Aerosoft Airbus X Extended General forum with any questions you have. Myself and many others are very active over there in regards to the AXE, and will be glad to help out further. You can find it here: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/forum/517-airbus-x-extended/

Thanks for the great tips dmbusmc! I will try to make those practice circles today. I have to make some standard rate turns and watch that altitude and pitch.

I am also already following the Aerosoft forums so I guess I might post this there also.

Arto Hiltunen

Way too low, and the second turn was way too soon. That was not a stabilized approach by any means. I agree you should practice level turns :smile:

This is my second attemp to make a manual landing with Airbus Extented. There are some clitches because of my poor system, fraps and fsrecorder. I managed to make much smoother turn, but the landing is still like a carrier landing. I have to make the turn later to have more time to descent and get stable properly.

Arto Hiltunen

This is my second attemp to make a manual landing with Airbus Extented. There are some clitches because of my poor system, fraps and fsrecorder. I managed to make much smoother turn, but the landing is still like a carrier landing. I have to make the turn later to have more time to descent and get stable properly.

Your V/S management improved significantly!

Now try maintaining speed more precisely so you do not have to struggle as much with flotation. Reference the PAPI and stabilize descent rate (approximately −800 ft/min, generally with positive pitch) by 200 ft.

You forgot to extend landing hook :P

To be honest, I could not land nice with that camera angle. When Im in final, I want to align my view in direction of motion.

@Arto

Nice vids. Where did you get that female Rwy distance remaining call-outs from and is the Female co-pilot an FS2Crew add-on?

That is just the standard Aerosoft Airbus X Extended stuff. It comes with RAAS limited, but I had already bought the unlimited version also for PMDG flights (and FS2crew of course). AXE has copilot out of the box.

Mykonos runway 16 visual approach third attemp.

I almost got. The turn is still not level, but I managed to have a little stable time on 110 degree base leg. How short that time is! I had acceptable alignment with runway, too high descent rate at the start, but got hold of it on the treshold. Some traffic problems on the runway due to not having stopped UT2.

Arto Hiltunen

I almost got. The turn is still not level, but I managed to have a little stable time on 110 degree base leg. How short that time is! I had acceptable alignment with runway, too high descent rate at the start, but got hold of it on the treshold. Some traffic problems on the runway due to not having stopped UT2.

Runway alignment and speed management were better! Now try perfecting the flare. You can afford to smooth and take some time with it, as you are still touching down slightly early.

Mykonos runway 16 visual approach with PMDG 737.

This video is made for comparison as I earlier tried to make a manual landing with Aerosoft Airburs X Extended. How is that for a late flare.

Arto Hiltunen

How is that for a late flare.

That landing was late, but much smoother! Perhaps you could have used reverse thrust earlier. In any case, deciding when to flare is crucial.