Sign in to follow this  
dburne

Hapy Birthday Flight!

One Year Ago Today...

Flight was was born, or released I guess you would say. I remember it quite well like it was yesterday. However hard to believe, in just one short year, we had the all the excitement and activity of the release of Flight – which came a day early and caught some off guard, to all the discussions on the forums as folks got into it and tried it out – some good, some not so good, but lively none the less, to the announcement of further development being ceased just 6 months later, to where we are today.

To date I have logged app 200 hours in Flight, with a little over 2 million XP, and I took about a 3 month break from it recently. But still to this day, Flight is the only civilian flight sim I run – granted I have other flight sims, which are combat that I really enjoy, but Flight still holds all my attention when it comes to civilian flying.

Just this week, I took a look back at many of the early postings on this forum, right after release, for nostalgic purposes I guess. It was kind of fun reading all the comments, seeing some of the discourse, but still there was a great sense of excitement overall for the possibilities and potential this new flight sim seemed to bring. Many screenshots, several videos, some tips and tricks as folks found them, like changing the camera angles and adjusting the joystick curves. It was not unusual to have 2-3 pages of threads posted that day. Many wondering what will be the next DLC, what area, what planes. Many of these posters are no longer present on this Flight forum, and several I do miss seeing their input here. I am glad at least the forum still exists with a few folks still enjoying Flight for what it is.

In the meantime I will still enjoy Flight from time to time for what it is. I have just recently started doing the aerocache hunts, and have several of those I can catch up on – and I have been meaning to get into and learn VOR flying with it as well, so there are still is new stuff I can do with it.

So anyway, Happy Birthday Flight, if nothing else it sure has been an interesting last 12 months!

Despite its many flaws, it's still the most visually immersive simulator for me and the one that gives me the best feeling of 'being there'. Happy Birthday Flight. I hope someone can give you the attention you deserve in the future.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

The haters still hate and the rest of us want more. 4.2 million XP and 478 hrs later. I started flight in April, the only time I put it down was in July after they ended it with a one month hiatus.

I want more.

I have never used MS Flight, but it still makes me sad that Microsoft gave up on it far too quickly. Who knows what could have been achieved if it had been given a proper chance?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I've been flying Flight since the day of its' release and intend to continue. It has been fun and a whole lot more rewarding than flying at 30k feet on autopilot (which I still do for my VA) and visually the best sim yet. Lets keep it going.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Those were the days... ^_^ So it's a year already! My goodness! I haven't played Flight since MS dropped it... I am totally into FSX again, mainly flying the PMDG 737NGX and doing all kinds of things I would never be able to do in MS Flight. But I still cherish the moments I had with Flight, so to speak. After all it was the sim that made me learn all about VOR and buy rudder pedals! ^_^ I can't imagine going back to Flight again, though: the overall mood was awesome but it only looked great because of the promise it held. When that future was dead, so was MS Flight, to me anyway.

Still... we had big fun then, didn't we? B)

Still... we had big fun then, didn't we?

Yes indeed! Miss you hangin out here Jeroen!!

The lights aren't off yet. I will be around to see what happens down the road, things are looking beginning to look up. If someone is considering any kind of improvements, I will be buying. MS Flight is everything I had been looking for in a flight simulator. It still holds so much potential.. I have had every rendition of MS Flight Simulator from the Sublogic days on. I don't have thousands of dollars tied up in add-ons that I don't want to let go of. I just want to jump in and fly with out a multitude of delays and problems. I happen to like looking out the window, that is why I got my PPL in 1982. So yes, happy birthday MS FLIGHT.

Steve

I will be around to see what happens down the road, things are looking beginning to look up. If someone is considering any kind of improvements, I will be buying.

Did I miss some exciting news...? :rolleyes:

Happy Birthday FLIGHT.

Being a part of the early days was one of those special moments that I look back on with pleasure and pride, couple that with the sense of community that grew up will always make me smile when I look back.

I fly for a VA and get lots of pleasure out of it. I feel lucky that I can get the same pleasure out of FLIGHT even today even though it doesn't have all those bells and whistles the other sim has. It just has that special 'something' that for all the things it lacks it makes up for in the feeling of flight.

I've said it before and will say it again. "It is the best feeling of flying a monitor I've ever experienced"

Nuff said.

Crud, it's only been 1 year? I never spent much time in Flight, but then again, I didn't spend much time in FSX when it first released either. Considering how far FSX has come since it first released, imagine what Flight could have become if given the same amount of attention...this really breaks my heart when I think about it.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)