Sign in to follow this  
Fitz505

Infected File

New to forum. Downloaded file iranair_312.zip by Mostafa Ayoobzadeh this evening. File has virus "VBS/Redlof@m".My virus scan detected it. If this is the wrong place to post this, please pass it on so others can be aware.Thanks, Frank

File in question is iranair_a312.zip by Mustafa Ayoobzadeh. My anti virus software is McAffee which picked it up as virus VBS/Redlof@mwhen I tried to open the zip file.This file was posted on the "newest" file section dated 6-18-03.

Just tried it. I can confirm it is infected. Norton intercepted it. Fitz

Guest Matt Johnson

Thanks, the file was removed. Here's what our virus-scanner had to say on the issue:Scan result : Archive contains file (folder.htt) infected with 'VBS_REDLOF.A-2' virusScan result : Archive contains file (Iran Air A310_203/texture/folder.htt) infected with 'VBS_REDLOF.A-2' virusScan result : Archive contains file (Iran Air A310_203/panel/folder.htt) infected with 'VBS_REDLOF.A-2' virusScan result : Archive contains file (Iran Air A310_203/sound/folder.htt) infected with 'VBS_REDLOF.A-2' virusScan result : Archive contains file (Iran Air A310_203/model/folder.htt) infected with 'VBS_REDLOF.A-2' virusThere was a small problem relating to the virus scanner too, which is why the virus was not detected on upload; this has been fixed. We have virus checked all other files in our Library as a result of this hiccup, and validate no other virus-laden files are available for download.Thanks once again for your vigilence.Regards,--M

Hi Fitz,Thanks for stating your anti - virus also found it. Being new to this forum, I was surprised at the response to my post as to "Avsim Scans All It's Files". Hey, been a simmer for the past 10 years and never have I ever downloaded an infected file and I download alot from all the flightsim sites. I guess I will have to be more careful now and I'm grateful it was caught. Lesson here is never assume a flightsim site "Scans All It's Files".Thanks,Frank

As Ken pointed out, and Matt verified, we do scan all uploaded files automatically. Matt indicates that something went wrong on this particular file and it escaped the dev/null routing that usually results with an infected file. We fixed the problem, and though there are never 100 percent guarantees in anything, our system does do a pretty good job.

Avsim does a pretty good job considering the number of files they deal with. I have downloaded umpteen gazzilion (OK, maybe not that many) files from their library, with no problems. However, it does pay to be careful. Fitz