Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Vulnerability in SSD's: would a good UPS w/ micro-surge protection help?

I read this article and it had me wondering:

http://www.zdnet.com/how-ssd-power-faults-scramble-your-data-7000011979/

Pardon my ignorance, but I know the UPS I have here has some sort of line protection in it that goes beyond handling big power surges. There is some feature designed to provide maybe a stable current and it supposed to be a good thing for sensitive electronics.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I have all my computers connected to high quality UPS units (with appropriate ratings) and I have 1.5TB worth in SSDs ... this was/is my first purchase with or without SSDs. In fact, most of my home electronics run thru a UPS with managed output.

I agree a good quality UPS with sufficient amperage/voltage whatever is a must.

But also check to see if it has "surge protection" built in - if not you also need a good surge protector to plug the UPS into.

Most UPS protect against power outs and not necessarily power surges and power surges may do more damage.

Regards

pH

I use a lot of these units at home as they have manage output (aka provide surge protection and spike protection and true sine wave output not approximated square wave). They also tell you how well their batteries are doing, what your current load is (in watts) and estimated run time when the power does go out (images from one UPS of the various output display pages it provides).

b65efc4956295a714505b80d6a1c70ed.jpg

There has been a lot of fear around SSD reliability ... some justified some not. But SSDs are being used a lot in mission critical server environments and don't appear to have any more or less failure rates than traditional mechanical drives.