Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

FLIGHT LIVERY HANGER

Easier said than done. I am not finding a texture that affects glossiness on most planes.

Should be the alpha channel of the _AR textures.  To get a chrome look I think you need to use the _FB texture.  I sent this to Luis a while ago while we were working on the tool:

_AR is Albedo Reflection.  The color channels are the albedo map (basically the same as diffuse, but a more physically accurate name).  The alpha channel is a reflection map (whiter is more reflection).

_S is specular

_FB I believe this stands for Fresnel Bias, but not sure.  The fresnel controls how the reflections look at different angles.  The bias is used to override the angle I believe.  Primarily the bias is used for metal\chrome.  This may also control how sharp the reflections are, but I'm not sure if that is part of this texture or the alpha channel of the AR texture.  I know the shader does some stuff to make the reflections look more blurred for metals\paint that is not as reflective.

_N is a normal map

_A is an albedo + alpha texture, it is generally used with alpha blending (transparency).

There may also be a _L or something which will be the light maps.  For aircraft they are controlled by the interior light dimmer switch.

Flight also uses alpha testing (I think this was called screendoor or something in FSX) for some things, but it is more common for scenery than aircraft.

:lol: Thanks for posting it. I did share this information with Devon, but he insists that it does not work for him.

Best regards.

Luis

It could vary by shader that the material uses, but I think airplanes only use one.  I'll have to look into it.

:lol: Thanks for posting it. I did share this information with Devon, but he insists that it does not work for him.Best regards.Luis

For me at least, neither lightening or darkening those textures did anything noticeable........

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The alpha channel of the files...AR modifies the reflection. On the C46, I deleted a few portholes. on the layer alpha the portholes were white and the clogged portholes gave the impression of being coloured glass. After darkening, the effect unpleasant disappears (red circle on the screen)

JML

The alpha channel of the files...AR modifies the reflection. On the C46, I deleted a few portholes. on the layer alpha the portholes were white and the clogged portholes gave the impression of being coloured glass. After darkening, the effect unpleasant disappears (red circle on the screen)

attachicon.gifC46_Reflexion.jpg

JML

I believe that's the result of modified transparency rather than reflection....

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Looks good to me and a great addition to the Hanger. Much appreciated JML.

Steve

Yup, looks great and I can see the effort that OO-JML Put into it. The only reason the reflections issue kind of even came up was I was wondering (once he showed he was working on it) whether the tools we had would allow him to make the engines shiny/silver.

Devons rig

I doubt that is transparency.  Most of the aircraft body does not have transparency turned on as it is expensive on the GPU.  It looks to me like you are seeing the environment map reflection.

Guess I will play with it some more!

Devons rig

Nice work! :-)

Devons rig

Ditto

Steve

Sorry, just delete all the posts. i'm not getting anywhere anyways.

I will keep this short....You cannot have MS Flight open when you add new livery's.  Exit MS Flight first.  Open Addon Manager then try.  Also hit the tutorial as a refresher: http://flighttoolkit.com/?page_id=4

Hope that helps,

-fryer