Sign in to follow this  
DetCord

Considering an Upgrade?

I've typically always built my own PC and or upgraded it myself. However, with my current active duty military status, I found actually getting around to doing it problematic. About a month back I came to the conclusion that I'd simply buy a gaming rig, and after looking at the various system builders (FNW, Origin, Alienware, etc) I finally settled on one from Digital Storm. It showed up last week and I have to say, its destroyed every game I've thrown at it thus far.

That said, FSX was going to be the real test. It's system intensive, it eats memory and CPU cycles for dinner, and spits them back out. I'm more than pleased with the performance... enthralled actually. Right now I'm running it with everything maxed and I mean everything, which includeds REX E+O. So, if you're in the market for a new box, don't want to or simply don't have the time to do it yourself, then have a look at DS.

Benchmarks and settings.

RXU8iAB.jpg

S9rkLJt.jpg

M2Dw0XT.jpg

sMXBoiA.jpg

BREiBTH.jpg

kPLGb9f.jpg

3I7T8Cx.jpg

I guess those settings may work if you aren't using too many high quality payware addons at the same time, like 737NGX + some Aerosoft airport for example.

I don't think having mesh settings and mesh complexity at max is necessary though, to me having them that high caused aircrafts to jump on the ground while changing view.

I guess those settings may work if you aren't using too many high quality payware addons at the same time, like 737NGX + some Aerosoft airport for example.

I don't think having mesh settings and mesh complexity at max is necessary though, to me having them that high caused aircrafts to jump on the ground while changing view.

I am running Ultimate Terrain X, North America and Europe as well as a few FTX terrain addons. And payware aircraft abound in my copy of FSX.

to me having them that high caused aircrafts to jump on the ground while changing view.

Really? I'm having some plane jumping issues, which setting exactly was the solution to your bean jumping plane?

While you do show us some impressive FPS numbers this doesn't describe how fluid the sim is performing. Try flying around 3000' around NY metro area with ManhattanX and FSDT KJFK? Also, what tweaks are you using in the cfg? How fast is your CPU running at? Etc. Etc.

While you do show us some impressive FPS numbers this doesn't describe how fluid the sim is performing. Try flying around 3000' around NY metro area with ManhattanX and FSDT KJFK? Also, what tweaks are you using in the cfg? How fast is your CPU running at? Etc. Etc.

I'm not running ManhattanX or KJFK. I typically fly smaller commercial (A319 - 757), and never really saw the point of purchasing specific airport or city additions if I'm only going to spend between 5-10 minutes in and around them. I am running REX, GEX with UT, and a few other terrains (FTX Oz). I haven't touched the config. The CPU is a i7 Extreme Edition 3970X that's OC'd to 4.6Ghz. DS did the overclocking.

Glad to hear it's running well. It's fun to just fly once in a while lol

Also thanks for your service!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'm not running ManhattanX or KJFK. I typically fly smaller commercial (A319 - 757), and never really saw the point of purchasing specific airport or city additions if I'm only going to spend between 5-10 minutes in and around them. I am running REX, GEX with UT, and a few other terrains (FTX Oz). I haven't touched the config. The CPU is a i7 Extreme Edition 3970X that's OC'd to 4.6Ghz. DS did the overclocking.

What is your video card and its memory please.

How much does this rig cost please.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Thanks....I can only dream! Now I understand.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

@@DetCord Hi, you are the first I found on AVsim with a 6 core specs, did you run FSXMark11 test? you know my first choice to upgrade was similar to your specs but then lot of people told me that for FSX was useless, that it was going to be better to buy a I7 3770k processor OC to 4,7-4,8 GHz, what do you think about it based on your experience and I saw you got great frames from your pictures on my forum (to build or to buy) but is it really smooth? will you recommend your upgrade? or to stay at a 3770K? and please one more question, did you tweak your cfg file? really appreaciate your help, I want to decide what to buy please!!

@@DetCord Hi, you are the first I found on AVsim with a 6 core specs, did you run FSXMark11 test? you know my first choice to upgrade was similar to your specs but then lot of people told me that for FSX was useless, that it was going to be better to buy a I7 3770k processor OC to 4,7-4,8 GHz, what do you think about it based on your experience and I saw you got great frames from your pictures on my forum (to build or to buy) but is it really smooth? will you recommend your upgrade? or to stay at a 3770K? and please one more question, did you tweak your cfg file? really appreaciate your help, I want to decide what to buy please!!

No I haven't used FSXMark11, Jose. In order to actually run it now, I'd have to uninstall all of my addons and perform a clean install of FSX. That's according to the readme, and I'm not going to do that again.

I didn't upgrade specifically for FSX (really for ArmA III and Adobe products). I simply wanted a rig that could tear through any game at max settings, and was surprised at how well FSX ran on this PC... really surprised. The massive performance gain also has a lot to do with the other components and how efficiently optimized my system is. At any given time, there are only around 52 processes running, which is thanks to DS and how they configure the build. As for the FSX config, well, I haven't touched it all.

Some really good info here - http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3970X-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3770K