Sign in to follow this  
imn2sims

Apple or Android, what do you use?

Apple or Android for FSX apps  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you use or would like to see more apps dveloped for FSX?

Debate is healthy and productive; there's nothing wrong with that.

Very true!

Adam

iPhone, apple al the way. I use my iPad mini for charts on the plane and my regular iPad for flight planning at home.<br /><br /><br />Remy Mermelstein<br />777-300 FS Pilot

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein
777-300 FS Pilot, Deltava

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

39990572681_f326ac97d7_o.jpg

I voted Android for the most selfish reason possible - my next tablet is going to run on it! Yeah, I've got an iPad 2 right now, but I'm itching to make the switch. No other high-minded reason beyond that. ;-)

I would NEVER be caught dead or alive with an apple product in my hand. forced to carry one till today for work, now I have handed that off to someone else. :)

My Personal phone is an Android based HTC OneX+....LOVE it!

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

Apple for ForeFlight - the Android market hasn't really caught up in the real world EFB market...

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Note I own iphone 4 (wife uses), HTC Desire HD (waiting on the IV fro Samsung), Asus TF300 Andriod Tablet, iPad 2, Windows 7 64 laptops and PC and a Chromebook. I love them all. Andriod I love for the freedom and file management. It's an Ipad that behaves like a Windows device. Ipad I love for the smoothness of the user interface. Honestly. All the prime time apps are now on Andriod as well and I could care less about 400,000 garbage games and useless apps.

Andriod Apps that I use with FSX that I love...

FSWidgets GmapHD for Andriod - A linked moving map that can switch between Google Maps, Sectionals, IFR hi and lo for much of the entire world! Probably best external map app for sim.

http://fswidgets.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=50

Fltplan Mobile for Andriod - This is FREE! fltplan mobile is approach plates, SIDS and STARS for all of Canada, US and Alaska. You just have to create an account on fltplan.com for some of the functionality. Once that account is created, installl the fltplan mobile app from Google Play Store and go to Approach Charts and download your face off! By ICAO, Name or State!

http://imageserver.fltplan.com/android/index.htm

A few more I use and love on Andriod...

E6B Calculator from Sporty's

Aviation Tools (Free!) Plates and Weather for USA Airports. Very cool GUI.

VMM Vatsim Mobile Viewer! Click Display Map and you see all pilots currently online on map.

Flightintel for Pilots (Free!) Airport look up and plates and weather reports for US.

Others that I have seen but don't use.

Virtual CDU for you big tin guys - http://www.virtualavionics.com.br/Page/product/9_Virtual-CDU.html#nav

Simplates for Andriod (80,000 plates for the whole world!) - http://www.simplates.com/

Then there is the ability to use Andriod with real world aviation apps... Sending GPS data from FSX to your tablet and fooling your tablet into thinking it is real world flying and GPS position... Cannot do this with Apple.

Install FSUIPC payware version for FSX.

Install a Bluetooth Serial Adaptor on FSX PC and it will be assigned a COM port.

Enable GPSout in FSUIPC through that Bluetooth Com Port.

Go into the tablet and allow bluetooth GPS signals.

Now any app you use on the tablet that uses GPS position data will behave as though it is onboard your plane in FSX! Some people get this to work and some cannot. Here is an example of a real world aviation app that you can do this with.

Avilution for Andriod - http://www.avilution.com/

There. Andriod apps!

C.

Unfortunately apple for now.  At least until foreflight creates a full version for droid.

Does anyone know any news on this or if there is a planned release.

One of my contemplative moods.......

Here we are talking about all of this, and not even noting the neck-breaking pace of technological change inherent in the conversation.

Six years or so ago, the only people on earth with an iPhone were Apple employees.

Only six....

Years.......!

Where will we be in another 10!?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I'm with Apple for this, using an iPhone. But.... couple of Android phones coming out that look quite nice. 

CVERAl's comments were very helpfu!.  Just what I was looking for.

jking