Sign in to follow this  
G-BANX

FSX, will great FPS ever be achievable consistently?

Over the last 12 months I have spent time effort and money upgrading my aircraft, scenery and equipment to enhance my flight simulator experience. I'm still not receiving good fps all the time and really it's frustrating. I'm hoping if I post my info then people will be able to offer advice and info on how I can improve my fps if its possible. Here's the specs:

HARDWARE

i5 3.3 overclocked to 4.4

Twin frozr GeForce 570 2gb

8gb ram

1tb SATA drive with a seperate partition for FSX

FSX

fsx delux and acceleration

******* 'Bojote' Altuve CFG tweaking tool

Uiautomation.dll

Bufferpools tweak set to 40000000

Fsx fps set to unlimited and 3rd party fps limiter in place (40fps)

Run from batch file a friend set up for me

Running ORBX England

Running UK2000 scenery across all areas + bristol xtreme and Manchester xtreme

Running Rex weather

Running ultimate traffic 2

Using PMDG 737ngx

That's my full set up. My fps is great in all UK2K airports except the Xtreme or any London area when flying pmdg when they drop to 10/15fps. Also at airports such as Amsterdam schiphol where I'm running 0 scenery add-ons the frames drop right down. If anyone can suggest helping me improve to just a steady 25+ at the airports would be great. I would love to enhance my experience without the extra cash but maybe it just isn't achievable and ill have to buy a new system?

FSX, will great FPS ever be achievable consistently?

Yeah, when pigs fly :(

Yeah, when pigs fly :(

LOL I think what I'm getting at is, am I doing anything wrong?

Consistently? No, never. That's a goal that's simply not achievable with a significant amount of UGC.

I'm beginning to wonder what I'm doing wrong? I have always had a constant 30 FPS with my current build. With every addon imaginable. well. it may drop to 28 FPS. Including about all PMDG, ORBX eyt products. Im not bragging, It really is strange when I read these post?

FSX's architecture (32 bit, cpu bound, etc. etc.) means that it will never fully take advantage of modern hardware. And the big advances in CPU speed and power are gone as Intel has moved to improving onboard graphics and energy consumption. So it will improve, but not at the same rate it has over the last few years and it will never be silky smooth and reliable flight sim platform in imho. But I'm enjoying it anyway!! :)

I'm loving it too but I just don't understand why I'm getting the 10/15fps slap in the face its driving me towards wiping out my bank account on a new system lol

If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do please comment

I'm beginning to wonder what I'm doing wrong? I have always had a constant 30 FPS with my current build. With every addon imaginable. well. it may drop to 28 FPS. Including about all PMDG, ORBX eyt products. Im not bragging, It really is strange when I read these post?

you're very lucky! Could you share your specs?

When Lockheed Martin completely redevelops P3D i,e true 64bit, improved autogen, night lights improvements, proper weather engine that can imitate real life METARs with accuracy and no delays in order to simulate weather as it happens in real life, take advantage of GPU, real life physics, default scenery improvement such as landscape, able to run on all available cores, GPUs & rams (spreading out work load equally) and last but not least... give us some amazing fps 60+ (we're talking 4.3ghz 2500k or better)!

When Lockheed Martin completely redevelops P3D i,e true 64bit, improved autogen, night lights improvements, proper weather engine that can imitate real life METARs with accuracy and no delays in order to simulate weather as it happens in real life, take advantage of GPU, real life physics, default scenery improvement such as landscape, able to run on all available cores, GPUs & rams (spreading out work load equally) and last but not least... give us some amazing fps 60+ (we're talking 4.3ghz 2500k or better)!

When this happens, let's hope that P3D doesn't suddenly become a Lockheed in-house only simulator with no public availability.

LOL I think what I'm getting at is, am I doing anything wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong - the detailed addon airports can bring any system to it's knees, especially with high traffic settings. Try lowering some settings (starting with traffic and weather) and see how far you have to go to get acceptable performance.

Bert

London Airport scenery has been known to bring FPS down. I'm in a similar boat. Using Aerosoft's MegaAirports series, the FS2004-reworked London Heathrow is a crawler. Apparently Aerosoft are planning a newer version of it.

I get 30-40 FPS in the NGX @ night in heavy weather @ FSDT KJFK in the ground, until UT2 kicks in and knocks that down to 20-25. If you can live without traffic 30+ FPS is achievable. Who wants that though?

The BP is way too high (8M). That card should be 0. You, as others, might have better luck with Word Not Allowed's Guide.

Dave

Ok people turn off the frame counter and watch the screen, if it is fluid with no stutters you have no problem. Really, the only way most people can see more than about 15 fps is with a counter. if you are getting 15 fps in heavy scenery with full AI and weather you don't have a problem !!!

I'm not sure if we will ever have high fps in FSX without lowering the settings and using lower AA settings.

FSX is CPU speed dependent and it looks like more cores is the future and not faster speeds. Therefore, we might never be able to run FSX as high as we would like to.

For now, buy a CPU (4 cores) and great cooler and OC the hell out of it. Then play with the FSX settings until you achieve acceptable fps.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.