Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

On DX10 - whow, what a better look :-)

Yesterday I decided to jump into the DX10 World.

Searching across this forum certainly helped, and Jim's PM even more - thanks a LOT Jim!

I am now enjoying the benefits and Whows!!! of running FSX Gold under DX10 compat mode. It really makes a difference !!!

So far no problems with textures, other than the Aerosoft Megaairports Heathrow, which I promptly uninstalled because the default one that comes with FSx Gold is more than sufficient to keep me satisfied :-)  Madeira and Lukla, also from Aerosoft, are fully compatible and I kept them.

I have just a couple of add-on aircraft and a weather injection program so, no incompatibilities and smooth / crisp graphics, outside and inside cockpit are "my reward" for having given DX10 compatibility mode a fair try!

Nvidia Inspector and the Shadders patch recommended in the document found in this forum, plus a rw lighting fix were all I needed to get it running.

My FSX Gold is almost fully maxed out (less traffic, which is not nilled but is on the 10%-20% levels.

I have to express, again, my gratitude to AVSIM for being such a great source of information, on various simulation platforms. Just as with X-Plane10, I was able to get great recommendations from both the contributions of many forum members and their pinned articles always full of interesting and well organized information!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

+1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

+1,

and makes all those arguments (oom's, ctd's, blurries, autogen popping) to switch to Xplane a thing of the past. For those with huge investments in FSX, this gives new life, and extends it's future. Does 64 bit Xplane run a bit smoother, sure, but it offers half the simulator functionality. With the DX10 version of FSX, most, if not all of the DX9 problems are gone. DX10 runs smoother, looks better, and most of all doesn't crash, neither version ever did for me though. Just need to get the addon airport lighting issues sorted out, soon I hope.

Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Id like to go dx10 but I don't wanna lose enb

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

@z06z33 - Try SweetFX instead of ENB - it will make an enormous difference to FSX, in colour, brightness, shadowing, vibrance, bloom.

I cannot tell you enough, how much icing this has put on the cake, with my personal switch to DX10.

Thanks for posting your specs, too, and note - you might move the clock speed up to 4.5, as that will be a good match for your 560Ti GPU.

Here's a good site, (Tom's) with a link inside to an excellent o/c guide for that proc series.

All the best,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

@z06z33 - Try SweetFX instead of ENB - it will make an enormous difference to FSX, in colour, brightness, shadowing, vibrance, bloom.

I cannot tell you enough, how much icing this has put on the cake, with my personal switch to DX10.

Thanks for posting your specs, too, and note - you might move the clock speed up to 4.5, as that will be a good match for your 560Ti GPU.

Here's a good site, (Tom's) with a link inside to an excellent o/c guide for that proc series.

All the best,

I'd also like to add my gratitude for all the help I found in here...my transition to DX10 has not always been a smooth one, mostly due to my lack of patience....but there is a wealth of accumulated knowledge here if you look for it :-)

Hay paul...I've been messing with Sweet FX but havn't quiet found the sweet spot yet...I realize the right ' look' of any sim is highly subjective, but if you get a chance I'd love to see your settings!

cheers

+1,

and makes all those arguments (oom's, ctd's, blurries, autogen popping) to switch to Xplane a thing of the past. For those with huge investments in FSX, this gives new life, and extends it's future. Does 64 bit Xplane run a bit smoother, sure, but it offers half the simulator functionality. With the DX10 version of FSX, most, if not all of the DX9 problems are gone. DX10 runs smoother, looks better, and most of all doesn't crash, neither version ever did for me though. Just need to get the addon airport lighting issues sorted out, soon I hope.

Glen

Agree 100%. Honestly, the advantages of XP10 over FSX Gold + DX10 are simply put, a Urban Mith... NAd believe me, it's painful for me to have to accept it :-/  Anyway, I feel back at home now :-)

I can, even if only using default scenery (plus Aerosoft LPMA and Lukla) fly everywhere in the World and see an hint of airport buildings, credible autogen, etc... The Weather, specially using the weather injector I am testing, looks way better than anything XP10 can offer right now.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Does dx10 help frames

Based on my experiences, yes, particularly with exterior views. 

Does dx10 help frames

I think with quad core or more it helps from other reports, On my system though, which is only a C2D it actually hurts frame rate.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Agree 100%. Honestly, the advantages of XP10 over FSX Gold + DX10 are simply put, a Urban Mith... NAd believe me, it's painful for me to have to accept it :-/  Anyway, I feel back at home now :-)

I can, even if only using default scenery (plus Aerosoft LPMA and Lukla) fly everywhere in the World and see an hint of airport buildings, credible autogen, etc... The Weather, specially using the weather injector I am testing, looks way better than anything XP10 can offer right now.

which wx injector are you using?

Lots of great DX10 fixes here ... if you aren't on DX10, you really should be ... there are still some issues, BUT I prefer the performance and look of DX10 and you'll be able to do more 3rd party with DX10 as you can push out the OOM barrier a little further.  Customers and 3rd party still need 64bit, but the DX10 fixes help extend the life of FSX.