Sign in to follow this  
GSproson

CPDLC in the new 777?

Will the T7 include any kind of a CPDLC (Controller Pilot Data Link Communications) for ATC comms over Atlantic or Pacific airspace?

I don't have the link right now, but I think Ryan already answered the question. His answer was something like "Not sure, but probably not."

It has been up before.

Who would you communicate with? If using online ATC I can see the point but that would take a joing project between PMDG and vatsim/IVAO, which I think is unlikely.

On the other hand, if PMDG would somehow leave a way to write an application that could be used online, that would work, but I'm not sure why they would spend time on it if I'm honest.

No, not by PMDG directly I believe.

There are two problems to solve here, basically.

-Where to get the ATC from. Default would not really work, and besides, many people fly online or with VoxATC and whatnot.

-How to get the network infrastructure ready, if online ATC is used. This is out of PMDGs scope of interest, and would lead to need to decide between VATSIM and IVAO as a supplier as well.

These fields are better left to independent developer and user choice. Now here:

-There exists an ACARS network, put in place by one Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers.

-It is possible to use CPDLC over this network. There exists an ATC client. 

-This network is independent of VATSIM or IVAO, but ATC on both these networks can and occasionaly do use CPDLC. An ATC active on this network would then report in his ATIS or over voice that he can be contacted at CPDLC position ABCD and a pilot with airborne client can then logon to this position. (Should the networks decide so, they could, in theory, install their own ACARS servers, so that they have totally independent systems in place)

What would be important to the user/prospective addon maker:

-There exists a client, in form of external MCDU.exe that works with the network, but it only has limited connectivity to FS.

-However, the system is opensource and fairly well documented, and it is principially no problem to create a client that has a form of FSX gauge (I am kinda sorta doing this right now. Not for PMDG products specifically, only a generic client, in form of a gauge, a simconnect module, and a couple .exe files)

-To be fully usable this ACARS/CPDLC client would have to have access to PMDG product in a level quite a bit higher than what is available now (If anyone from PMDG should be interested in as what would be required for all the different levels of integration, I am quite available for discussion in this matter so as to save research time)

I would love to see it! Even if it it just a dummy version that'll either not respond or will always approve. Maybe a third-party developer will jump on trying to create something in the Comm page.

Maybe a third-party developer will jump on trying to create something in the Comm page.

It need to be open to 3rd party developers though. 

I think Robert or Ryan said that they might consider doing so in the future, so it is not out of question, luckily. NOT a sure thing though, don't quote me on that.

It need to be open to 3rd party developers though. 

I think Robert or Ryan said that they might consider doing so in the future, so it is not out of question, luckily. NOT a sure thing though, don't quote me on that.

This is what i use for CPDLC, maybe an integration could be made.

http://www.hoppie.nl/acars/

Ive used it crossing the pond a few times now and its great.

This is what i use for CPDLC, maybe an integration could be made.

http://www.hoppie.nl/acars/

yep.

-There exists an ACARS network, put in place by one Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers.
-It is possible to use CPDLC over this network. There exists an ATC client. 

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers, also known as Hoppie.

As I said, technically, it is possible to connect to this network from within FS, albeit it needs some more support from PMDG to be a full-featured CPDLC thing. Especially if we are talking MCDU integration.

As I also said, I am sort of making an integrated FSX client, though not for CPDLC, at least until later, and in form of a more generic IDU type unit, requiring Broker and ACARS Airborne Client runnin. PMDG willing, I could later make a more complete integration.