Sign in to follow this  
Kattz

I think I just got served...

Admittedly, 90% of all of my RL aircraft experience has been with the F-4C/E, F-16 (All variants), and the F-111F.  So taking what I know about those beasts, I assumed some things about Boeing, the 737NG, and the terrain display on the ND.  Follow me, I'm going somewhere with this.

Terrain mapping in those aircraft was real time using the radar altimeter and the attack radar in ground mapping mode.  Following my polite conversation with Ryan the other evening regarding the lack of wx radar and what could be done about it (this isn't a wx radar post, so zip it!), I thought to myself, "Self, how can you have a terrain display while sitting at the gate?  That's not very realistic."  Well, I stand corrected.

I whipped out my RL Boeing 737NG Aircrew Operations Manual, and there it states that "Terrain data is stored in the GPWS database, and displays all terrain data on the ND within 2,000 ft of the aircraft's barometric altitude.  The terrain data is correlated with GPS data." So in my mind, if the GPS is active and TERR is selected for the ND, you can have terrain plots on the ND while sitting at the gate.

So, the NGX works as it should.  I thought I might've caught a glitch in my beloved NGX.  Nope, just me being an idiot for assuming. :fool:   Discuss.

I know several US Army Helicopters use the same type of technology for terrain avoidance. Some do have a sort of terrain radar, but I am not familiar with them. So the Civilian market is not alone to use this!

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

You don't need to have a 737NG FCOM to understand how EGPWS terrain display works and that it is not a terrain radar.  Even wiki has the basics

In the late 1990s improvements were made and the system was renamed "Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System" (EGPWS/TAWS). The system was now combined with a worldwide digital terrain database and relies on Global Positioning System (GPS) technology. On-board computers compared its current location with a database of the Earth's terrain. The Terrain Display now gave pilots a visual orientation to high and low points nearby the aircraft.

but you'll find much more on www.egpws.com

So I think you're own self assessment is accurate. B)

ki9cAAb.jpg

Hi Kevin,

I love your "The Beast" and "The Beauty"..  and that DL livery on the MD11 is one of their best, IMO.

So- what will the T7 be called?  :)

Bruce.

Hi Kevin,

I love your "The Beast" and "The Beauty"..  and that DL livery on the MD11 is one of their best, IMO.

So- what will the T7 be called?  :)

Bruce.

"The Workhorse"

Kevin I think I will name mine DELAYED DEPARTURE! JK. Cpt out.

Since it seems we have some military people in here, would anyone be able to tell me why there's an 8 Track cartridge in the nose of some USAF F-16s?

Kyle Rodgers

Since it seems we have some military people in here, would anyone be able to tell me why there's an 8 Track cartridge in the nose of some USAF F-16s?

Bit of a giveaway to the true age of the F-16.  Mission data loading perhaps?

ki9cAAb.jpg

Bit of a giveaway to the true age of the F-16.  Mission data loading perhaps?

Yeah, I laughed when I saw it.  Surprisingly, I was allowed to take a picture of it (even post 9/11 at a military base where they keep the presidential fleet), though I'm not entirely sure where it is at the moment (printed from an OM-1).

That could be it.  I figured it's for something that's often updated.

Kyle Rodgers

I would imagine mission loading of some sort or possible data recording (Gun camera?). In the OH-58D we use what looks like some compact flash card for that reason and others.

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

RAF Tornado GR1s used a compact cassette audio tape for mission data loading.  Rather like loading your VIC-20 or C-64 with a game.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Kevin I think I will name mine DELAYED DEPARTURE! JK. Cpt out.

Roger that.

The Data Transfer Cartridge (DTC) is not a tape.  It looks lke an 8-track with a handle, but has Mencom-style pin connectors on it.  All electronic, solid state.  I think that we never saw the DTC until the Block 25 or 30 -C models.  Before that, everything was entered on the FCNP (Fire Control Navigation Panel), where all of the mission and configuration settings for mission setup were initially stored.  See here - http://www.astronautics.com/index.php?q=content/inertial-navigation-system-f-16-skn-2416.

This was replaced by the Up-Front Controls (UFC) directly below the pilots line-of-sight right below the HUD.  I think it was late Block 25C's or Block 30 C's when we first saw this change.

I've been retired from the USAF for 15 years and haven't kept up; the databases others are referring to may not have existed in '98 when I retired, so my knowledge may be out of date.

Kyle - are you possibly referring to the Sony Beta tape for the AVTR that is right under the nose of the aircraft in panel 3202, or the cartridge that goes in the cockpit on the LH side by the map case? 

Rather like loading your VIC-20 or C-64 with a game.

To use your line:
Bit of a giveaway to the true age of the [poster].

Thanks for that reference.  That made my morning.

It looks lke an 8-track with a handle, but has Mencom-style pin connectors on it.

Maybe they were just trying to be funny and slapped a sticker on it.  I need to go find that picture now...

Kyle Rodgers