Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

BGL Disassembly Help Please

I have two bgl files that I want to disassemble to get the objects and locations. I don't know if they are FS9 or FSX type bgl's. I have tried all the tools that I have (newbglanalyze, bglannalyze, bglanalyzex, bgl2xml, and a lot of others) without being able to disassemble them. How can I determine if they are FS9 or FSX types and then how can I disassemble them? One is an AFX file which I can open with ASX and show the airport layout but I don't know if it contains any scenery objects, in addition to the airport info. Thanks, Bob.

Can I confirm that you opened the file with AFX (you typed ASX)? If so then it should be either a FS9 or FSX Bgl file. Have you tried loading it into ADE (or perhaps you do not have that if you have AFX)

In any case if you wish to email the file to me (jon AT scruffyduck DOT co DOT uk) then I will take a look at it.

Hi Jon. Thanks for the reply. Yes I meant AFX and I did try them in ADE. Sorry for my typo. I'll send you the files along with an explanation. Regards, Bob.

Model converter X will probably be able to read them out (mdls encoded in bgl) for you.  Then you can get snapshots of them and add the library into ADE (maybe not the AFX file mdls).  ADE should be able to read the AFX and import all the object locations and GUIDs.

scott s.

AFX files do not contain models or model placements.

Model converter X will probably be able to read them out (mdls encoded in bgl) for you.  Then you can get snapshots of them and add the library into ADE (maybe not the AFX file mdls).  ADE should be able to read the AFX and import all the object locations and GUIDs.

scott s.

Hi Scott. OK. Thanks. I'll try it. Regards, Bob.

HI. T thought maybe this guy had added objects to it and saved it as the same name. I guess not. Regards, Bob.

Maybe not (don't have it) but I do have I assume AFX file that bgl2xml claims to have model data and looking with hex editor I see:

RIFF MDL9MDLH$ FS80 ISFT MakeMDL - FS90 (AFXAutogenExcl) BBOX

scott s.

Maybe not (don't have it) but I do have I assume AFX file that bgl2xml claims to have model data and looking with hex editor I see:

scott s.

Hi Scott. Thanks. Mine does have several of the same thing in Hex EDit.

Regards, Bob.

Hi Scott. Thanks. Mine does have several of the same thing in Hex EDit.

Regards, Bob.

AFX files do contain model data. However these are 'fudges' and are not the kind of object that you can add such as buildings. As I recall they are used as a way to exclude autogen. Rather than using a terrain exclusion AFX relies on the fact that scenery objects will exclude autogen in their vicinity

AFX files do contain model data. However these are 'fudges' and are not the kind of object that you can add such as buildings. As I recall they are used as a way to exclude autogen. Rather than using a terrain exclusion AFX relies on the fact that scenery objects will exclude autogen in their vicinity

Correct.

Of course now I read it more carefully the AFXAutogenExcl is a bit of a give-away......

My particular AFX file has an exclude area. In the exclude area there is a fuel parking spot that is isolated from any taxiway. ATC will not direct me to an active runway by any taxiways or progressive taxi. Also the fuel truck starts up and moves slightly towards the parking spot but stops and never refuels or return to it's parking spot. When I attempt to connect the fuel parking spot to a taxiway I end up getting a second tower which was supposed to be excluded. My question is how can I fix the isolated parking spot, inside of an exclude area, without loosing the exclude area. Thanks, Bob.

Hello:

Even though AFX does use a proprietary "AFXAutogenExcl" MDL code based method of implementing Excludes for autogen objects, can ADE import and convert such excludes, to then create a version of the AFX "exclude object" footprint as a standard BGLComp(FS9) or SHP2VEC(FSX) object ...that can be displayed via the existing methods ADE uses for "standard" FS excludes in the ADE 2D workspace ?

Thanks in advance for letting us know whether ADE is / will be be able to fully import and convert AFX airport files.

GaryGB