Sign in to follow this  
flyerguy7773

ILS proceedures in FSX and ILS data.

Hey fellow pilots,<br /><br />I have been simming for 6 years now and still have not managed to do a decent ILS app/landing. I think part of the problem is that whenever I try to do an ILS landing the aircraft doesn't line up with the runway properly.<br /><br />Here's what I do:<br /><br />Tune the ILS freq. into the MCP and NAV1 radio as well as the runway heading (I obtain this info from FSC, but it never seems to line up with the runway, it always turned and lines up parallel to it about 2 miles away, or it doesn't line up at all)<br /><br />I descend to 2000 feet and capture the localized and glide slope.<br /><br />Click the APP button on the MCP and turn on NAV. I also turn on all 3 AP buttons if available.<br /><br />I let the aircraft do its thing, but somehow it has never worked. I am always slow enough, and I have entered all the information needed (I think)<br /><br />It's really annoying cause my landings always become visual and then if the visibility is bad they become bad landings cause I can't see nothing.<br /><br />Any help is appreciated.<br /><br /><br />Remy Mermelstein<br />777-300 FS Pilot

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein
777-300 FS Pilot, Deltava

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

39990572681_f326ac97d7_o.jpg

Make sure you tune both radios to the proper freq. and also course. Otherwise when you turn on the second auto pilot it will not be aligned correctly.  You should wait until you capture the glide slope before enabling the second auto pilot, other wise it will just switch to the opposite side and it will control flight. Give it a try and see what happens. Cpt. out.

You tried to do that by hands, without autopilot?

Yes I have. When winter storm nemo came through I flew LGA-BOS-HPN-JFK and all the landings were done visually even though there was nothing

To see.

Remy Mermelstein

777-300 FS Pilot

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

Actually, I asked have you tried to fly ILS by hands, because different addon developers have different logics behind their autoland functions and many different problems might be experienced.

Oh, The only two payware aircraft I have are the QWsim 757 and the Wilco Feelthere E-jets and I havent yet flown a flight in them that has required an ILS approach.

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein

One of the keys to auto landing I have found is to line up the plane so it is on the glide path prior to setting the auto land switch.  If the plane isn't kind of lined up first it will fly through the glide slope and can't react fast enough.  As said above you must have both radios set to the same correct freq. 

My PMDG, Duke, and really all add on planes work as long as I set them up properly.  I don't fly the FSX stock planes. 

Hope this helps.