Sign in to follow this  
G-BANX

Md-11 new user - tutorial help!

Hi all,

I'm new to the md-11 and was looking for a good tutorial to show me how to fly via the fmc with autopilot and auto landings. Does one exist? I watched a 5 part on YouTube which I thought was own but whilst flying alongside the tutorial I encountered errors it did not and I now realise he had missed a few key steps. I'm a competitant 737 ngx pilot but the md-11 is one of my dream aircraft! Please help

I'm looking for video tutorials if possible :)

If you head over to the PMDG website, there are two tutorials there. One is from Gatwick to Zurich, the other one is the Advanced tutorial.Everything you want about the PMDG MD-11 is there.

Good Luck.

Just noticed these are pdf's does anyone know of any videos

I thought you had stated in your opening thread that you had watched a 5-part YouTube video and did not find that helpful, which is why I pointed you to the PMDG pdf tutorials. Other than that, sorry, cannot help.

I thought you had stated in your opening thread that you had watched a 5-part YouTube video and did not find that helpful, which is why I pointed you to the PMDG pdf tutorials. Other than that, sorry, cannot help.

That's correct I'll give this a go anyway thanks

Give it a try. It is not difficult to follow. Just print out the pdf and put it in a ring binder, and just follow from there. That is how I learned it way back in 2004 version and now have more than 1000 hours on it alone, and have never looked back since those first tentative steps through that tutorial.

Fellow Airman Robert Buchberger over at youtube has some videos that should help you become proficient on the MD-11.  You can find his FMC tutorial here:

And a 6 part series picking up once the FMC programming is completed to get you airborne here:

I watched his videos from start to finish, then printed out the PMDG pdf tutorial flight guide.  Flew that mission and then went back to the videos to get more reinforcement on areas of flight that seemed a little more difficult.  I love this plane and after a few short flights to get my feet wet, I was up and flying to distant points all cross the globe.  Autoflight in the MD-11 is a dream and she handles wonderfully also when hand flying.

Fellow Airman Robert Buchberger over at youtube has some videos that should help you become proficient on the MD-11.  You can find his FMC tutorial here:

And a 6 part series picking up once the FMC programming is completed to get you airborne here:

I watched his videos from start to finish, then printed out the PMDG pdf tutorial flight guide.  Flew that mission and then went back to the videos to get more reinforcement on areas of flight that seemed a little more difficult.  I love this plane and after a few short flights to get my feet wet, I was up and flying to distant points all cross the globe.  Autoflight in the MD-11 is a dream and she handles wonderfully also when hand flying.

Chris Sunseri

The PDF tutorials that come with it are great. 

+1    G-BANX you have asked if there is a Tutorial that will show you how to do Auto-land and Autopilot  , the basic tutorial Does Exactly that

Fast Tip if you want Dual Auto Land go to the F/O side and switch the  I forgot the name   ( the Little Knob facing Up )

This will get you Dual Auto Land  IF of-course  every thing  els is configured correctly

Happy Auto-Lands :)

Another +1 from me for the PMDG tutorials. I did both then just started doing my own flights. She is very easy to fly and very automated :)

Fast Tip if you want Dual Auto Land go to the F/O side and switch the I forgot the name ( the Little Knob facing Up )

There is no little knob on the FO/s side.To get Dual Land once you select Appr/Land, and if you have tuned the ILS frequency and course heading correctly,and the Glide Slope is captured, it will show up in green as Dual Land and should effectively carry out an Auto-Land.