Sign in to follow this  
flyerguy7773

Best App for Charts/Moving Map/Proceedures/RW Flying/FSX (Also to help with flying the proceedures when flying the PMDG 737)

Hey everyone,

I know this is not totally relevent to PMDG, but this seems like the most active forum around here. 

Anyway, I am looking for an app for charts, proceedures, kneeboard and calculations when flying with FSX. I also hope to use this in the RW when I start my training. I have been flying the 737NG for a while and always want to be able to have a kneeboard type device to use to see the charts and proceedures accociated with that plane wihtout having to keep switching between windows.

I can see in the appstore there are hundreds of apps that have what I am looking for, but they all do the same thing and are different costs. There arent many reviews either. I have an AOPA account and was looking at the FlyQ apps, but I dont have 70.00-170.00 to spend on a subscription. I was also looking at FSkneeboard which looks good, but it too is expensive and does the same thing as the other apps do and the others are much less money.

I guess my real question is, what apps do you all have, and what do you like and recommend for me to get. I also have a navigraph account and was thinking about using there charts, but i dont think they have anything for the iPad and they only have 1749 airports throughout the world and not many in the US so.....]

Thanks in Advance!

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein
777-300 FS Pilot, Deltava

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

39990572681_f326ac97d7_o.jpg

FS Kneeboard is a great app and is made by a member here - $20 isn't really all that much to pay when you consider everything it does.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I have all my Navigraph charts to PDF's viewing via Adobe Reader on my iPad - stored on Dropbox too. I have ForeFlight for real world flying - so something like FSKneeboard isn't that useful since I have access to all US charts. I hate the FAA published charts, therefore I use nDac for everything. 

Adobe Reader for the iPad is getting better. There's now a 'Night Mode' which looks a lot like the EFB's night mode you'll see in the 777. 

FS Kneeboard is a great app and is made by a member here - $20 isn't really all that much to pay when you consider everything it does.

Is that the same kneeboard that was released for FS9 waaaay back in the day?

Just discovered FSWidgets for flight planning and moving maps both on iPad and PC using cloud/Dropbox storage. Awesome.

I'm using Simplates X for Android on my Galaxy S3. It features pretty much all charts with SIDs, STARs, approach plates, airport diagrams, from airport of all over the world.

For moving maps you can use Aivlasoft EFB. I downloaded the demo but I never liked it. 

I used to support Navigraph, but I stopped doing so since they doubled their prices and completely changed their payment system from credits to direct payment.

Thanks for all this index I'll check out these apps. Thx!<br /><br /><br /><br />Remy Mermelstein<br />777-300 FS Pilot

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein

P3Dv4.1, ASP4, UTLive, ReShade + URP + PTA, All settings max'd, i7 Core Extreme @ 5.2gHz, GTX 1080, CyberpowerPC Gaming Laptop, 500GB SSDx2, 32GB DDR4 RAM. 

Oh and about Simplates, I love it!

Also a cool app for the NGX is Virtual CDU (Android only). I projects your FMC directly on your tablet or smartphone, and works both in full screen and windowed mode. There is no delay and no framerate loss too.

I second the FSKneeboard app.  It is really useful for a number of things, and the developer is very helpful and receptive about incorporating new ideas.  Worth every penny!

Tony

Hey so I went ahead and bought FS kneeboard. I haven't done a flight with it yet but it looks great! Thx everybody.

One last question, anybody know a good flight logging app?

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein

It really depends on what region your flying in.

For example, here in Australia, we have two mainstream apps which are guaranteed to be found on any iDevices of r/l pilots - OzRunways and AvPlan. Both have direct acess to VTC's, VNC's, WAC's, PCA's, ERC's and all the DAP's (Approach/Departure plates etc). Of course there are licensing fees which they must pay for, so therefore there is yearly subscription fee - Highly worth it. Included is the ability to create a navlog with a direct data-link like connection to uplink winds etc., where it is then able to calculate drift, DTK, GS bla bla bla.

Great thing is they both have an X-Plane simulate mode, which if combined with the LUA script mod, can be modified to work perfect with FSX. Therefore, when I am flying I around, I see my FS position on the numerous charts (or the ones which a geo-references), just like I would if I was using the GPS in my iPad.

Of course you have to weigh up the costs (which can be quite expensive, but good when you compare it to the costs of paper charts [and the pencils/rubbers :D]). I think of it this way, I have a subscription so I mase well damn use it as much as I can... and well if thats in FSX flying the NGX instead of my 172, well who cares... I am still getting my bang for buck!

I also hope to use this in the RW when I start my training.

I use ForeFlight.  It's probably more suited for pilots instrument rated and higher, as it includes charts you wouldn't really use as a student/PPL, but it won't hurt to have them.  If you have an iPad through your cell provider, then you'll have built in GPS.  If it's wireless only, you'll need a GPS like the Garmin GLO or Dual XGPS.  The app only covers USA (Canada/Mex optional, but for an extra cost), but it's awesome.  Every plane I fly is now essentially has a moving map GPS.

Bigger plus with ForeFlight is that you can connect it to Flight Sim and have it display your position on the app (thanks to Lomaric for that pointout this past weekend).  Just hook it up to your comp on the USB, and download/run FlightSimGPS (there are a couple more steps, but you'll see them on the site - still pretty simple).

Just a heads up: when you get into real world training, try CloudAhoy out.  It'll really help you and your CFI analyze your flights afterwards to see how you did.  Better still: it's free!

If you're looking for a review, I've reviewed them on my blog:

ForeFlight (including the Garmin GLO and the iPad as an EFB)

Garmin GLO versus Dual XGPS 150

CloudAhoy

Kyle Rodgers

Cool thanks for all that information. I will look at those two things! Thanks again!<br /><br /><br />Remy Mermelstein<br />777-300 FS Pilot

"The Skies the limit"

Remy Mermelstein