Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

FS9/FSX installed in Windows XP 64-bit?

Hi. I am just wondering whether anyone has FS9 installed in Windows XP 64-bit these days? I have been running both FS9 and FSX in Windows 7 64-bit for some years now, but am thinking of trying to install XP 64-bit (I have an installation disc) as a dual boot onto my Win7 x64 PC (which I use almost exclusively for FS), mostly - in fact, entirely - because I miss the wonderful AI sounds from FSHotSFX, which cannot be installed into Windows 7.

I haven't searched myself yet (I have no internet connection where I am currently living), but are XP x64 drivers available for 'the usual' hardware - for Saitek X52, Nostromo N52, TrackIR .. ? What about drivers for nVidia graphics, Audigy soundcard and so on? (My PC specs are as per my 'signature').

Are there any other issues/tradeoffs with FS in XP x64 as opposed to Windows 7 that I should know about, or are some people running FS9 and/or FSX on that O/S with no problems? I have read a number of times in 'techy' articles that it was an O/S that never was never really properly developed and is full of flaws; Windows 7 is surely a much better O/S in many respects (I like it very much myself and have it on my laptops), but even so, as far as my FS PC goes, those FSHotSFX sounds beckon ...

Thanks for any comments, encouragement/discouragement.

Martin

<p>Running both on x64 for sometime. No issues and since I have the 64 bit Windows 7, Windows can take advantage of my 32GB of%

<p>Running both on x64 for sometime. No issues and since I have the 64 bit Windows 7, Windows can take advantage of my 32GB of%

Jim Atkins

Yeah but FS9 or X can't use the ram.

I'm not running it anymore. The biggest conflict I had was printer drivers.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Jim, Sorry - not sure what you mean: you say you have Windows 7 x64, but if you use FS in Windows XP x64, and boot into that O/S, Win7 will be irrelevant .....?

Printer drivers would not be a problem as I'd have Win7 x64 (working fine) on the same PC.

Everything worked fine when I was running XP64, drivers were an issue back when it was first released but that was soon resolved.

Go for it, its a nice OS, just be aware that as far as I know there is no Trim available in the OS for  your SSD's

Oh.. maybe I should install the O/S on one of the HDDs? I would link FS9/FSX to the folders (Aircraft/Scenery etc. etc) already on the SSDs though of course. If I ran FS for some time on XPx64 with no issues, I could even remove FS from the Win7 installation. Well, no rush for that...

Thanks..