Sign in to follow this  
Kaboki

Flight replicas Super cub?

I love the A2A cub, but Im looking for a little more power(wish they did a supercub with accusim). So I've been looking at the Flight replicas cubs, and my question is how is the Flight replica cubs flight model compared to the A2A cub?

I have the Flight Replicas Super Cub and, while still being a Cub, it's obviously very different from the A2A J-3. There are several different versions with different engines, I think one of them has a 210hp engine that can climb at 4000 ft/m or something.

They fly well, but I dislike the excessive life the plane seems to get when flaps are lowered. I don't know if this is realistic compared to the real word super cub, but I don't like it either way. Other than that, it seems good to me and it's my first choice for bush flying.

I have FR Super Cub too and it is great model IMO. Fun to fly and not so frickin' slow than the normal Cub. It is in line with other FR birds I have, that is of high quality.

Thanks for the replys guys. Think I'll buy, need a faster bush/stol plane. Not that expensive anyway so if I don't like, it would not be that much to loose.

I think the FR Super Cub is not a bad addon.  It's certainly not A2A Cub quality, either in systems or flight dynamics.  My main concern with it is that for a model that intends to represent perhaps the classic off-airport booney bashing airplane, it handles horribly on the ground if you're not on an airport.  I've tried and tried to modify the config files to get it not to gyrate and bounce all over the place when landing at such backcountry strips as those on the Salmon River in Idaho, or on off airport landings in mountainous terrain (just the sort of terrain it was built to fly).  I've basically given up. 

If you fly it from regular airport to airport, though, you shouldn't have any problems. 

Guest tymk

I second what Griphos has said: while it's not too bad overall (nice visual model, good VC, decent flight modeling while in the air), ground handling outside paved airports can be a huge issue.

Have you considered the RealAir Citabria, Decathlon and Scout package? It's a slightly older product, so the external model may not be state-of-the-art, but the virtual cockpit is great, it handles beautifully, and you get a number of versions (three similar yet slightly different planes, plus the Scout has three variants: normal tires, tundra tires and amphibian floats). Maybe not as hardcore as the Super Cub, but certainly not as frustrating on dirt strips as the FR product.

Have you considered the RealAir Citabria, Decathlon and Scout package? It's a slightly older product, so the external model may not be state-of-the-art, but the virtual cockpit is great, it handles beautifully, and you get a number of versions (three similar yet slightly different planes, plus the Scout has three variants: normal tires, tundra tires and amphibian floats). Maybe not as hardcore as the Super Cub, but certainly not as frustrating on dirt strips as the FR product.

Already purchased the supercub now, was looking for a cub with more horsepower so I haven't considered the Real Air's(I might try them sometime in the future though). Haven't noticed any problems on dirt strips yet. Not as good flight dynamics as the A2A cub, and the flaps felt weird, but maybe it's just me and I can't judge how realistic it is because Im not a real pilot.

All in all it works for me.

Thanks for all the advice guys, appriciated :smile:

I think the FR Super Cub is not a bad addon.  It's certainly not A2A Cub quality, either in systems or flight dynamics.  My main concern with it is that for a model that intends to represent perhaps the classic off-airport booney bashing airplane, it handles horribly on the ground if you're not on an airport.  I've tried and tried to modify the config files to get it not to gyrate and bounce all over the place when landing at such backcountry strips as those on the Salmon River in Idaho, or on off airport landings in mountainous terrain (just the sort of terrain it was built to fly).  I've basically given up. 

If you fly it from regular airport to airport, though, you shouldn't have any problems. 

I second what Griphos has said: while it's not too bad overall (nice visual model, good VC, decent flight modeling while in the air), ground handling outside paved airports can be a huge issue.

Just an addendum (to those who may peruse):

The above two posts provoked (hmmm... ok... "challenged") me to make a hop around Mile Hi (I97D) as I have flown several models of the Flight Replicas Super Cub - numerous times within Orbx CRM in the "Frank Church — River of No Return Wilderness" area, and I don't remember the plane itself being much of an issue.

So here's a video demo I just did with the FR "180 Extreme" into Mi High... fwiw.

Btw tymk, I agree about the RealAir package (anything from RealAir imo is top drawer).

-Rob

Nice Vid Rob ,  Reminds me of the happy days  :wink:

TEAM AVSIM "Fly Anything" Member     BAW 1193

Boeing777_Banner_TechTeam.jpgBry_zps718b876b.png

Just an addendum (to those who may peruse):

The above two posts provoked (hmmm... ok... "challenged") me to make a hop around Mile Hi (I97D) as I have flown several models of the Flight Replicas Super Cub - numerous times within Orbx CRM in the "Frank Church — River of No Return Wilderness" area, and I don't remember the plane itself being much of an issue.

Agree, can't see any issues either when landing on dirt strips, only thing I didn't like with the ground handling is that the tail wheel is very very sensitive..

Nice video BTW.

Mile-Hi is not usually a problem (and I've flown into it a lot with a number of different aircraft), but the issues have occurred there as well.  Not every time.  And not on landing or take off on the "strip" itself, but on taxiing around on top of the hill.  Try some of the others in that area, like Dewey Moore.  And try off airport. 

By tailwheel sensitivity, do you mean induces bouncing when on rough terrain and possibly nosing over?  If so, then that's part of what I'm talking about. 

There's been a number of threads on the issue on various forums, and I've tried to work on the config with the help of some of those who developed it, without much success.  I'm not saying it's a bad addon.  I'm saying that I and others have problems with its ground handling off airport and at some bush strips that I don't have with any other addon.  If you don't fly it into such strips or off-airport, then you won't have to worry about that, as I said. 

Nice Vid Rob ,  Reminds me of the happy days  :wink:

Thanks bro... "Where are youuuuuu?"

Nice video BTW.

Thank too Kaboki... 

Bry and I spent a good number of hours in the Super Cub, PC-6 Porter, Aerosoft DHC-2 Beaver etc. - great flying in that Orbx CRM.

By tailwheel sensitivity, do you mean induces bouncing when on rough terrain and possibly nosing over?

no, I mean just touching the rudder pedal an inch makes the tail wheel turn 100%,  it's almost impossible to control the plane on ground with that kind of sensetivity.

Did some more testing and now I see what you mean about the bouncing on rough terran, sometimes it just bounces like crazy for no apparent reason(Had too give some power on the throttle to make it stop). Haha this addon has some serious issues... :lol:

Try some of the others in that area, like Dewey Moore.

Actually did that after Mile Hi and was able to go "straight-in" over the top of that ridge landing to the NW... normally do a curved approach over the river for that one.

And right before that was into Vines (I98D) landing on the West runway...

no, I mean just touching the rudder pedal an inch makes the tail wheel turn 100%,  it's almost impossible to control the plane on ground with that kind of sensetivity.

I certainly don't get that.  :huh: 

Did some more testing and now I see what you mean about the bouncing on rough terran, sometimes it just bounces like crazy for no apparent reason(Had too give some power on the throttle to make it stop). Haha this addon has some serious issues...

I get some tail hopping in certain places... otherwise...  :unknw:

I get some tail hopping in certain places... otherwise...

Some tail hopping lol. I get the whole plane jumping up and down like crazy and sometimes make the plane nose over. But I have to say, It doesn't happen all the time and pushing full throttle makes it stop for me, so I can live with it(Have crash detection turned off so i don't need to reset the flight and can continue when the bouncing stops).

I certainly don't get that.

Im not the best to explain but I'll give it another shot :P . Normally to make the tail wheel turn e.g 100% to the left you would apply 100% to the left on the rudder pedal..right? But In this plane just a 10% input on the rudder makes the tail wheel turn 100%. Get it? That means to steer this plane on the ground I have to be really really really careful with my rudder input.