Sign in to follow this  
moekarout

Release Date Contest

What you are comparing is completely different. Apple can announce a new phone but the customers have a choice of buying it or getting something from Samsung or Nokia for the same spec and sometimes cheaper. On the flight sim market, customers don't really have much choice. Nowadays, detail, realism and eye-candy graphics matters to every flight simmer. There aren't very many developers who can do all three and yet do it without serious amount of patching needed. Name another developer that can create a 777 in better detail. Wilco is very well outdated and Captain Sim made an absolute balls of it by releasing in parts. Anybody who wants a proper, functioning realistic 777, 747 and MD-11, they can only go to PMDG. I won't include NGX as Wilco have a very good version so obviously there is a competition in that spot. What I'm saying here is that in the phone market, customers have a lot of choice whereas in the flight sim market, we don't and that is why we would wait for aircraft to be created with ultimate precision as they (PMDG) keep their customer base on edge because they know that everyone prefers a PMDG 777 than a CS any day.

I realize that, and I acknowledged it in my post by noting that, "Ultimately PMDG pretty much runs a monopoly because it produces fine simulation software, and they have every right to exploit the situation". However, I can apply the same premise to other situations where companies have a near monopoly on a product or software category. Whether we are talking about Microsoft's Windows, Adobe's Acrobat, or Sony and it's PSP, the same holds true. "We will release it when we release it" just comes across as amateurish and outright arrogant. You would say the same thing if any well known company acts that way, regardless of the level of competition for their product. I don't understand why PMDG gets a pass.

... and I don't care too much when it's released.

There you've said it...

These boys here DO very much care about when it'll be released. The're sitting on hot coales. Just you try sitting on hot coales and see what sillyness pops up in your mind... :crazy:

You are possibly way too serious about it. It's just normal procedure when a new PMDG product is in the pipeline and the release date gets nearer and nearer. Nobody knows the release date, only that it gets nearer and nearer every day. And the coals get hotter and hotter every day..

Nobody wants PMDG to tell the release date of a new product up front, it would spoil all the fun. If you'd care about it you'd know. :rolleyes:   

cheers,

jan

Jan

This time next year, the exact same conversation will be going on - however about the 747 2.0  :P

This time next year, the exact same conversation will be going on - however about the 747 2.0 :P

I guess i am not sure but its a guess

I already had the passion and pleasure of flying the 747 in a professional way

But the 777? I think 777 will burry the whole market of flight simming for quite a while before people can think of another product

I guess PMDG should wait some time before releasing any other product

Moe ELkarout

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

"We will release it when we release it" just comes across as amateurish and outright arrogant. You would say the same thing if any well known company acts that way, regardless of the level of competition for their product. I don't understand why PMDG gets a pass.

Dou you really think saying "We want to release it when it's finished, perfect and bug free as we don't want to give our customers crappy unfinished product" is amateurish and arrogant?

I don't and this is exactly what I want to hear from FS developer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

from Samsung or Nokia for the same spec and sometimes cheaper

And now it seems that both models are far superior to the iphone, just bought the Galaxy S4 and I am thoroughly pleased with it. 

After witnessing the stumbles of Aersoft's A320 (the initial release was practically unflyable and its obvious that they did very little beta testing in their rush to release), Airsimmer, and others I have grown to appreciate PMDG's thoroughness especially since we are paying top dollar for a top product. If PMDG were to set a date now and miss it due to an unforeseen glitch then they would be just as crucified by impatient folks the same way they are getting heat for not releasing dates now. FS Labs made the mistake of issuing a target month and they blew it big time, their leader made a very public regret about that and vowed to never make premature release targets again. Good things come to those who are patient.

"We will release it when we release it" just comes across as amateurish and outright arrogant. You would say the same thing if any well known company acts that way, regardless of the level of competition for their product. I don't understand why PMDG gets a pass.

No in fact its far from arrogant, they are charging us top dollar so they want to make sure that they won't fall short of expectations, as mentioned before if they made a public date on so and so date but had to blow it by a few months due to a major problem how would you react?

I been checking back every couple of months since last year waiting for this release...so my guess is .......not in my life time :(

Even PMDG themselves don't know the release date. All they have is an internal target date. (and that may change over time ...)

No developer, no matter whether a small or a big company, should give any release dates. It's just not professional.

No in fact its far from arrogant, they are charging us top dollar so they want to make sure that they won't fall short of expectations, as mentioned before if they made a public date on so and so date but had to blow it by a few months due to a major problem how would you react?

I work at Boeing on the 787. We all know how it's been plagued with delays. Can you imagine if Boeing told ANA, Air India, JAL, or the other airlines lining up to place orders for new 787-8's, "we can't project a delivery date. You'll get your planes when they're ready". No airline would sign up. Instead, businesses set targets and work feverishly to meet that goal. Yes in business, release or delivery dates are often missed, but this doesn't mean you shouldn't work toward a goal. Also, setting a goal does note mean compromising the quality of your product. It's the same as any other endeavor you undertake in life. You set a goal and work to meet it.

PMDG makes great products. That's not in question. But what I'm saying is the truth, and the fact that PMDG makes great sims doesn't change that.

June 12 (June 12, 1994 - First Flight) is my guess..why..Boeing 777-200 was released on that date. For fun..that is my guess either June 7( Introduced)  or June 12.

No crying when its going to be released here..I am patiently waiting. I like the attention to detail and any good pilot would respect their decison to strive for perfection.

I think we forget we dont get paid to do this..this is at our own will and PMDG has every right to keep us in the dark until they are good and ready.

The teasing pics are great..keeps me thinking of what my first flight will be.

My guess on the release date is when Robert clicks the button to release it :lol:

My guess on the release date is when Robert clicks the button to release it :lol:

lol

I work at Boeing on the 787. We all know how it's been plagued with delays. Can you imagine if Boeing told ANA, Air India, JAL, or the other airlines lining up to place orders for new 787-8's, "we can't project a delivery date. You'll get your planes when they're ready". No airline would sign up. Instead, businesses set targets and work feverishly to meet that goal. Yes in business, release or delivery dates are often missed, but this doesn't mean you shouldn't work toward a goal. Also, setting a goal does note mean compromising the quality of your product. It's the same as any other endeavor you undertake in life. You set a goal and work to meet it.

PMDG makes great products. That's not in question. But what I'm saying is the truth, and the fact that PMDG makes great sims doesn't change that.

You work at Boeing on the 787? How many customers canceled when it wasn't rolled out for service in 2008? I guess PMDG should just set a date and blow by it . Customers are impatient enough but adding a date would then blow up in their face when it passed. They aren't losing customers the way they do it. Other developers release with not enough testing and run into a lot of problems. those developers will lose more customers for a buggy product than PMDG will for not having a release date.PMDG customers are happy when their products are finally released. Other developers lose customers and their customers are skeptical on purchasing a new product when it's released because they fear the same poor results. That doesn't happen here. Just lots ( really not many, just loudest) of people claim they won't buy it because it's been too long but are the first to get it when it's released.

BTW, my guess ( more of a hope than a guess) is this coming weekend. If that passes then the next and so on. lol

Richie Walsh

I hope its before sept 17th because it'll be hard to choose between it and GTAV

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.