Sign in to follow this  
GAJ52

Problem With SIDS

Hi

I know the FMC in this aircraft  is no way near as sophisticated as the NGX, but I'm having problems when loading the SID for departure.

I update the AIRAC from Navigraph each month and if I load a route and SID in the NGX its fine with no or very few errors.  However if I load the same route and SID in the JS41 FMC, very often there are odd waypoints added or even the same waypoint added two or three times.  Also waypoint identification is different from the real world charts so its hard to know which waypoints need deleting or amending.

As this seems such a mess I usually just try and fly the SID manually if its got radio beacons for guidance.

Has anyone found a way round this problem or is there an updated FMC available that's sorted this problem out ?

Glen

Glen

I've never seen this.

Could you perhaps be more specific about which departure procedure, or even better, show a picture?

Kyle Rodgers

Also, you should be aware that the J41 is not certified for RNAV. The J41 will not display RNAV SIDs

Have you by chance saved the previous fight plan after inserting the SID? If so, then it might be duplicating it because of that. The system isn't necessarily very smart especially after loading a previously saved plan and I've seen it duplicate fixes.

Thanks for your help.

I don't use saved flight plans that are saved from the FMC.

It can be seen by creating a very short flight in the FMC - EGKK KENET POMAX BRI EGGD.  The departure runway is 26L out of Gatwick and the SID is the KENE2M.

I do have a picture of the FMC but don't know how to attach it to this post.

I basically get three TK259 waypoints, and three MID waypoints all mixed up.  This happens on most SIDs I use in the UK.  This same route and SID work perfectly in the NGX ??

If this works ok for someone else then obviously I'm doing something very wrong

Glen

Glen

I will try this when I get home, but someone else might get to it before me. I tend to fly in and out of London in the PMDG heavies only, and I'm familiar with UK SIDs. I know that I have successfully flown a STAR to KDCA that ends with a TRK 190 (or something, I don't have it in front of me), and that of course requires a pilot-induced 180 to intercept final for Runway 1. I'll try to noodle with your EGKK flight tonight.

Seems like a data issue, or the SID having waypoints included in your route as well.

I know that I have successfully flown a STAR to KDCA that ends with a TRK 190 (or something, I don't have it in front of me), and that of course requires a pilot-induced 180 to intercept final for Runway 1.

FRDMM, TRUPS and NUMMY STARS all have 187 as the final TRK leg.  The others on the east side (SKILS and CLIPR) are similar with 185.

Kyle Rodgers

The FMC in the J41 is not nearly as sophisticated as those fitted to its bigger brothers and often has difficulty flying SID's, at least those I frequently fly in the UK.  The FMC doesn't consistently process the Navigraph descriptions well and the results can be unpredictable.

I did raise a problem report with PMDG some time ago about this issue and the response was essentially not to expect too much and to fly the SIDs by hand using conventional navigation aids as is the case in most real world operations.  So that's what I do and it works ok.

Gerard Marley

Right

Seems like a data issue, or the SID having waypoints included in your route as well.

FRDMM, TRUPS and NUMMY STARS all have 187 as the final TRK leg.  The others on the east side (SKILS and CLIPR) are similar with 185.

Thanks, that sounds right. But, the point I was making should still be true: the STAR doesn't terminate at an approach, but essentially a downleg.

So, I loaded this SID and tried flying it a few times and I've concluded that there's probably an error in the data.  It has the TRK listed and it appears to have the various DME fixes from the VOR, but nothing is where it should be.  There's no points on the map between the VOR and the airport, so I think you'll either have to enter the points yourself, complain to Navigraph or someone or fly a different SID.

It isn't well documented, as far as I've seen anyway, but you can delete specific waypoints using the FMC.

Use the left buttons to highlight the specific waypoint, then click "BACK" below the numeric keypad. This should have the waypoint with "DELETE"......Click ENTER to remove the waypoint.

This way you can remove any undesired waypoints displayed.

Also, you should be aware that the J41 is not certified for RNAV. The J41 will not display RNAV SIDs

I may be going out on a limb here, but just off the top of my head I have loaded the IDOSI arrival into Hong Kong and I am pretty sure it is an RNAV SID.  Even if it was not, you can still fly in the RNAV world since you can go direct to a waypoint/intersection from anywhere (not having to track a radial from a VOR first).  When I use the FMC, I file /F in this plane.

Regards