Sign in to follow this  
MarioB

DX10 and the Sim I always wanted - almost there

Took two hours yesterday to apply the final DX10 instructions & tweaks from the AVSIM Hardware and Software Guide. Wow, I was quite impressed!

Did a quick flight under clear skies from Prince Rupert on the West Coast and the water, scenery and airport looked so close to reality.... Absolutely no shimmers nor stutters while looking around the VC with TrackIr on three monitors.

The only fps fluctuations occur when flying under heavy clouds. I wonder if it is because of the weather download/update of REX in the background. My clouds are set to 2048 with the recommended DXT5. Using the 4xSGSS-4xS on NI.

My basic settings are set as per the guide but I suspect these are for one monitor, not three. A bit more tweaking may be required. The work goes on but the dream sim is in sight.

Thanks so much to the folks who made the guide and the DX10 tweaks.

Quick question in your set does anti-aliasing works? thats only thing that holds me back with DX10 setup is aliasing cant stand jagged edges on objects

Thanks

Andrei.

Hello Andrei,

Yes the edges are quite smooth. The anti-aliasing box has to be checked-in in the FSX Settings ->Customize ->Graphics. My Nvidia Inspector settings are those recommended by the AVSIM Guide https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bp0r8nftpr3n9lb/GuiejqcbCf on the initial setup for DX10 - 4xS - 4xSGSS as shown below.

awesome thank you, ill try ur settings that was only thing preventing me to go with dx 10 is the aliasing.

Thanks,

Andrei

Some nice words there, Mario, and am glad you're being successful! No - the experiences written into the Guide were the results obtained on the rig as per my siggy - three 19" 1280 x 1024 = 3840 x 1024 32-bit fed by an EVGA GTX 580, non o/c gpu.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I switched to DX10 four months ago and would "never" go back, it runs like a dream.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

I remember reading that to get hardware antialiasing (through NI) working under dx10 you need a gtx 5xx series card.

Is this true or not? I can't get dx10 hardware AA working with my gtx285 anyway.

@neumanix

Its true. Had the same experience with my trusty old GTX260. This generation can not be influenced by NI to use SGSSAA and/or SSAA in DX10.

In DX9 you can force SSAA with NI on these (8QS in DX9 is nice e.g.).

I bought a GTX660 and with this SGSSAA forced by NI is doing well.

SSAA still can't be forced by NI but there's absolutely no need for it.

8*SGSSAA in NI + AA in FSX + MultiSamplesPerPixel=8 + MultiSampleQuality=8 in fsx.cfg do a great job.

MarioB is absolutely right

.... its a new experience with dx10....

Some nice words there, Mario, and am glad you're being successful! No - the experiences written into the Guide were the results obtained on the rig as per my siggy - three 19" 1280 x 1024 = 3840 x 1024 32-bit fed by an EVGA GTX 580, non o/c gpu.

Good to know Paul.

I do use these forums for help and knowledge. You guys put much of your time, expertise and patience that due recognition is nothing less than appropriate.

Hope I will gather enough know-how and give back what I received.

Hi Mario,

I'm a relative FSX NOOB and went straight to DX10 mode. After installing the array of recent fixes and tweaks to my CFG and Nvidia settings I am also very happy with DX10.

I have one niggly thing that bugs me which seems to be DX10 related... bright white outlines that appear around runways when I get within a certain proximity (both coming and going). I don't see this with DX10 Preview off. I don't even know what your would call this. I've tried to google and all I match is Steve's DX10 flashing runway fix (which I've already applied).

I've attached a couple of pics cropped from screen shots taken one second apart, looking back during a departure from KSFO. Are you seeing this with DX10?

Cheers! Brian

(My first NOOB post at AVSIM.... what an incredible resource this is!!!)

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Odourboy,

This might well be related to DX10, and I have seen those before on my old rig. I do not remember if I ran DX9 or DX10 then. These white outlines may not be part of real scenery but they sure are handy!

Handy yes - but it kind of bugs me when they just pop on like a lightbulb. :blink:  Kind of destroys the realism. Fortunately, as you get closer in they stark contrast sort of fades out and the runways look normal again.

So I take it from your reply that you are not seeing effect this with your current rig with DX10 preview? It happens with all airports on my installation.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I've attached a couple of pics cropped from screen shots taken one second apart, looking back during a departure from KSFO. Are you seeing this with DX10?

I am not seeing this outside of KSFO.  I think if you go through all the posts in this forum, you will see you are the only one with this issue.  Perhaps Steve's Shader fix did not install properly or you do not have the latest version.  If you are seeing this in one second intervals, it could be a form of flickering which can sometimes be controlled by making sure Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias is set at Clamp in your display driver settings.  DX 10 is not perfect.  You will occasionally see anomalies depending on your FSX/display driver settings coupled with whether your system is overclocked or not.  The fact that I do not see it indicates to me one or more of your settings is not correct and this anomaly can be eventually fixed. It could be your LOD_Radius setting where FSX is struggling to render the runways from a distance but, if you have your settings set up as per the guidance in the pinned topics above, that is probably not the issue.  It's frustrating when things like this happens occasionally and you cannot pinpoint the cause. 

Welcome to the AVSIM Forums.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I've been following the DX10 tweaks forum, and I'm definitely enjoying my experience.  I fly the NGX over 90% of the time and own high quality airports and scenery.  DX10 prevents the OOMs (for example when using, the NGX, ASE, UT2, ORBX, and FSDT CYVR), and it is much smoother experience than DX9 with highter FPS and less stuttering..  I also use FS Converter, which converts most types of DX9 textures.  If all scenery developers were to make DX10 compatible textures, I'd be in a perfect FX world.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

I am not seeing this outside of KSFO.  I think if you go through all the posts in this forum, you will see you are the only one with this issue.  Perhaps Steve's Shader fix did not install properly or you do not have the latest version.  If you are seeing this in one second intervals, it could be a form of flickering which can sometimes be controlled by making sure Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias is set at Clamp in your display driver settings.  DX 10 is not perfect.  You will occasionally see anomalies depending on your FSX/display driver settings coupled with whether your system is overclocked or not.  The fact that I do not see it indicates to me one or more of your settings is not correct and this anomaly can be eventually fixed. It could be your LOD_Radius setting where FSX is struggling to render the runways from a distance but, if you have your settings set up as per the guidance in the pinned topics above, that is probably not the issue.  It's frustrating when things like this happens occasionally and you cannot pinpoint the cause. 

Welcome to the AVSIM Forums.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks for checking and offering your opinion on this Jim.

Just to elaborate a bit, it appears to be linked to the proximity of an airport. At a certain distance either inbound or outbound (I'd guess about 2 miles give or take), the white outline turns on/off like a switch. Inbound, as I get closer, the effect fades so as I near touchdown, the runway looks completely normal.

I do not believe it is a LOD_Radius issue - it is much closer than my LOD_Radius setting and varying LOD_Radius (I just use 4.5) has no effect. I have Steve P's latest Shader (all the V3.2.2 fixes) - rain fix and water color fix. (Looks great!!) Unfortunately, I applied them all together after a complete re-install onto my SSD, so I can't say if any one of those is the culprit.

Neg_LOD_Bias is already set to clamp, but since you're not seeing it (or anyone else it seems), I guess I need to go though all my settings one by one and see if one of those fixes it. At least I'm encouraged that it can be fixed if I persevere!

Cheers, Brian