Sign in to follow this  
jetsflier

Lufthansa Employee Strike

What's going on in Germany at the moment with all these strikes?

Is it Hamburg and Berlin that are having the repeated security strikes? They're causing a right hassle for us, having to ferry back empty aircraft home with no passengers or freight on board.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

This is the first I've heard of the strikes so I'm unaware of the security strikes you mentioned, but this must be affecting the economy in Germany (At least for the airlines)

The two and a half years I lived in New Zealand, I have never seen so many Germans here on one year work permits. Two years ago it was a lot of young Irish on one year work permits because the economy in Ireland wasn't very good but a lot of them have gone home now. This year it is a major influx of German youth on work permits as not enough jobs back home for them. I am not knowledgeable in current events in Germany but with this many of their youth leaving my guess it their economy isn't doing very well at the moment.

Matthew Kane

In before the anti-union types start posting that unions are wrecking the world economy.

In before the anti-union types start posting that unions are wrecking the world economy.

LOL, not anti union, but they usually have their own agenda and it it is usually not your best interest in mind. Those that are striking should be happy they have a job and either get back to work, or if not happy go find something else. The company I work for is unionized and if they ever want to strike, I'll be happily walking across that line back to work.

Best, Michael

KDFW

From what I could gather via the news media, it was a strike by ground crew related to their pay being cut when they were after a raise.

LOL, not anti union, but they usually have their own agenda and it it is usually not your best interest in mind. Those that are striking should be happy they have a job and either get back to work, or if not happy go find something else. The company I work for is unionized and if they ever want to strike, I'll be happily walking across that line back to work.

"Their own agenda" is to negotiate the best contract for you AND your family. You are making what you make and have the benefits you have because of their efforts to negotiate a fair and balanced contract that is best for the membership which your union represents.

Remember, a union is a democratic organization that is only as good as it's members and how well they are involved with the issues that you face at work. You have the right and privelege of voting for those officals who represent you at the bargaining table in your name. You get to choose who you think has your best interests at the bargaining table, that sit across from their lawyers and company reps, who damn sure don't have your best interests at heart.

You don't have the choice of who is the CEO of the company. You do have that choice at the Union Hall.

You have the right of grievance, should the "company" decide to fire you for some ridiculous reason. Too much time from work, while you were taking care of your sick wife is one example I have seen.

Perhaps you weren't promoted to a position that your were qualified for and had more time with the "Company" than the guy who was promoted.

Layoffs are beginning, you have 20 years of service and are layed off, but someone with 2 years gets to stay, even though you both do the exact same job. With a union you have recourse to right that wrong, without the union, there is nothing that you can do about it, it just stinks to be you. While the 2 year wonder is laughing at you.

It's democracy in action, and only as good as its membership is...

It called collective bargaining for a reason. The operative word is "bargaining". No one is holding a gun to the "companies" head and saying give everyone a 5.00 dollar raise. It is negotiated "in good faith", by both sides, and is a mutual agreement that both parties willingly sign, as a legal binding document.  It is an agreement the "company" signed and is obligated to abide by, as is the union. Both are bound by its language.

If you think your "Company" has YOUR best interests at heart, better rethink that one. They don't...

Crossing a picket line isn't a good idea either. The company doesn't respect picketline crossers either.

Raptor

Raptor,

As a proud union member, all I can say is, well said brother.

NAX669.png

If you think your "Company" has YOUR best interests at heart, better rethink that one. They don't...

How true that adage is. I once worked as an engineer with a guy who'd had worked from being a youngster for an American food company, Kraft, over here in the UK, for 35 years, before they made him redundant. First piece of advice he gave me was thus,' Forget owing loyalty to a company coz when it comes to them owing you loyalty in return, they would not think twice about that undying loyalty when it comes to potting you'. Those were pearls of wisdom for me.

How true that adage is. I once worked as an engineer with a guy who'd had worked from being a youngster for an American food company, Kraft, over here in the UK, for 35 years, before they made him redundant. First piece of advice he gave me was thus,' Forget owing loyalty to a company coz when it comes to them owing you loyalty in return, they would not think twice about that undying loyalty when it comes to potting you'. Those were pearls of wisdom for me.

And wise words they are...

Raptor,

As a proud union member, all I can say is, well said brother.

Thank you, brother...

Proud to be Union too.

Raptor