Sign in to follow this  
GodAtum

Running networked PC?

Is it worth the effort to try and increase FSX performance and run some add-ons on a networked PC. For example, how much FPS could I increase by running AS2012 on a networked PC?

Also I have Aerosofts Navdatapro on my FSX PC> I can i transfer the licenses to the networked PC?

I can't answer your Aerosoft question but on your first no, you won't see an increase in FPS. Things should be a bit smoother and AS2012 will be more responsive.

You should try to run as much as possible on a second PC. I have run Radar Contact v4 and Project Magenta software for years on a WideFS PC and it does help a lot with performance of those applications.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I can't answer your Aerosoft question but on your first no, you won't see an increase in FPS. Things should be a bit smoother and AS2012 will be more responsive.

You should try to run as much as possible on a second PC. I have run Radar Contact v4 and Project Magenta software for years on a WideFS PC and it does help a lot with performance of those applications.

AS2012 seems to run fine on my PC atm. When you say things should be smoother do you mean FSX or AS2012?

I've run a networked PC for some of my addons for years.  The only improvement you can realistically expect, are as Ray mentioned above...  Certainly no FPS increase.  You'll get SLIGHTLY smoother FSX performance in that there'll be less 'stutters'.  Also, The apps that you run on the client will also be smoother.

However, if you also incorporate a keyboard and mouse sharing app like 'Synergy' or Mouse Without Borders', then your overal simming experience can be greatly improved - using a single mouse and keyboard to operate BOTH machines.  This can even be achieved in full screen mode if setup correctly.

AS2012 seems to run fine on my PC atm. When you say things should be smoother do you mean FSX or AS2012?

AS2012 isn't being continually updated so it's not the best example. But something that does monitor FSX continually like Radar Contact or a moving map aplication like FS Flight Keeper will certainly benefit.

And as Dougal says both FSX and any apps running via WideFS will both benefit. The second PC can be quite modest. A Pentium 4 with a 128Mb graphics card is more than adequate.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Is it worth the effort to try and increase FSX performance and run some add-ons on a networked PC. For example, how much FPS could I increase by running AS2012 on a networked PC?

The advantages of running apps on a second machine may in fact have nothing to do with performance gains, but rather those of convenience.

As an axample, I run both ASE and PFE on a second machine, meaning that I have access to all of the features that these prgrammes offer, whilst running my main FSX machine in full screen mode. This is particularly useful with ASE as I can immediately get the latest weather conditions at my destination airport without the hassle of Alt-tabbing out of full screen mode.

Regards

The advantages of running apps on a second machine may in fact have nothing to do with performance gains, but rather those of convenience.

As an axample, I run both ASE and PFE on a second machine, meaning that I have access to all of the features that these prgrammes offer, whilst running my main FSX machine in full screen mode. This is particularly useful with ASE as I can immediately get the latest weather conditions at my destination airport without the hassle of Alt-tabbing out of full screen mode.

Regards

Unfortunately my 2nd machine is a VM server with no screen!