I have a Dell Inspiron I5 2.8 CPU, Nvidea 550 2Gig GPU 8 GB 1600 Ram, 650 Watt PS. (mobo is stock Dell) As far as my experience I have built from mobo up but just stock. I have found that it is cheaper to buy from Dell Outlet and swap parts. Anyway how much (and how do I) overclock CPU safely without changing anything else and not compromising the CPU.

Thanks for any help,

Ron

A lot of proprietry manufacturers will disable overclocking features on their equipment to cut down on having to replace equipment that users have fried. Can you access and adjust the clock speed and voltages within your BIOS? I'm guessing your CPU is an i5 760, this would probably be worthwhile checking out - http://www.overclock.net/t/858385/the-i5-760-oc-club.

None of my Dells have been overclockable with the stock mobo. Dell's BIOS does not allow it. I've researched enough in the past to make this statement.

My latest XPS9000 was upgraded Dec. 2012 to an ASUS Sabertooth X58 to get the OC features.

I'm only able to go from 3.3GHz to 4.06GHz with my current RAM however. Wifey says no to new 1600 RAM right now so I'm in a holding pattern for 4.3GHz!

None of my Dells have been overclockable with the stock mobo. Dell's BIOS does not allow it. I've researched enough in the past to make this statement.

My latest XPS9000 was upgraded Dec. 2012 to an ASUS Sabertooth X58 to get the OC features.

I'm only able to go from 3.3GHz to 4.06GHz with my current RAM however. Wifey says no to new 1600 RAM right now so I'm in a holding pattern for 4.3GHz!

As stated by Pie Eater I have never seen the feature in my BIOS. I thought I had the perfect setup. As I am sure you can attest Dell is a good system. I will have to deal with what I have until the day that I am loaded with money and can build a dream machine. This rig runs FSX all sliders right smooth as silk with AS2012. Very rarely do I get any lag. I guess I can't complain too much.

Thanks for your help.

Ron

As stated by Pie Eater I have never seen the feature in my BIOS. I thought I had the perfect setup. As I am sure you can attest Dell is a good system. I will have to deal with what I have until the day that I am loaded with money and can build a dream machine. This rig runs FSX all sliders right smooth as silk with AS2012. Very rarely do I get any lag. I guess I can't complain too much.

Thanks for your help.

Ron

Very bold statement there! All sliders to the right?. I'm assuming road, AI traffic and autogen too? Is this at KJFK or at 30,000 ft? PMDG or default aircraft? Anyway,  overclocking is generally not possible with off the shelf pc's. Also, overclocking is a function of not only the CPU, but Mobo capabilities, and RAM as well. Almost every serious simmer, myself included, has faced the hard reality that there is simply no big box store pc out there that will run Fsx, with 3rd party payware aircraft and scenery with settings "maxed out", acceptably well. Even CPU's screaming at 5 Ghz can't do this. Compromises still have to be made with Fsx settings and a myriad of config file and graphics setting tweaks employed. Didn't mean to be too harsh LOL

Well said Adam. I tried to upgrade a Dell XPS and the only components that I was able to use in my final build was the HD and the Intel CPU.

John  Hubbard   MSFS2020 - Win10                    

Very bold statement there! All sliders to the right?. I'm assuming road, AI traffic and autogen too? Is this at KJFK or at 30,000 ft? PMDG or default aircraft? Anyway,  overclocking is generally not possible with off the shelf pc's. Also, overclocking is a function of not only the CPU, but Mobo capabilities, and RAM as well. Almost every serious simmer, myself included, has faced the hard reality that there is simply no big box store pc out there that will run Fsx, with 3rd party payware aircraft and scenery with settings "maxed out", acceptably well. Even CPU's screaming at 5 Ghz can't do this. Compromises still have to be made with Fsx settings and a myriad of config file and graphics setting tweaks employed. Didn't mean to be too harsh LOL

+1 , my monster dont do it ^_^

Cheers Hasse