Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Going from a GTX 285 to a GTX 680...looking for feedback.

Hi all,

After having had a good run with the GTX 285 card for a number of years, I decided when upgrading my hard drive, to also order an EVGA GTX 680 2 GB Signature Plus (with backplate)card. This card is very stable from all accounts and quite given to over-clocking, if you wish to. It comes already over-clocked from the factory.

I haven't yet received it, and so while waiting, was wondering what upgrade to the visual video experience I could expect with FSX, from upgrading from a nVidia 200 series card to a high end 600 series?

I have enjoyed the visuals on my 200 series, but am ignorant of what a GTX680 can bring to the table as I have never seen one running the show on FSX.

If anyone has gone from a 200 to a 600 series, card, I'd love to hear back from you what you experienced in video, when first firing up FSX!  Was the clearness and crispness of the display quite startling as compared to your '200' output?  I intend to use the latest drivers to run it.

Thanks in advance.

I went from a 260GTS to a GTX570 last year, does that count? So I didn't see much of a performance gain since FSX is CPU dependent.

As dolph has already said, FSX is very much CPU dependent, so don't expect too much. It will most certainly give some superior AA and filtering handling and according to some, superior perfromance in heavy cloud scenarios. But for everyday performance, I doubt whether you'll see the kind of framerate increase you may be expecting. However, every rig is different so who knows...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I wish I could give you some insight but I'm still using my GTX 285 also. So please report back here after you get yours. I just built a 3770k system and the 285gtx from my last build does not seem to be holding it back at all at running the FSMark11 benchmark.  I haven't crank up the AA nor loaded high resolution add-ons yet though.  I expect that is when it will show its age.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I tried upgrading to a 660 series card back in November and I was faced with having to update my BIOS otherwise the card would not take.

\Robert Hamlich/

I went from a 260GTS to a GTX570 last year, does that count? So I didn't see much of a performance gain since FSX is CPU dependent.

Thank's Dolph,  my frame rates are quite good, I was wondering more on the graphical quality rendering between the two classes.  :)

I wish I could give you some insight but I'm still using my GTX 285 also. So please report back here after you get yours. I just built a 3770k system and the 285gtx from my last build does not seem to be holding it back at all at running the FSMark11 benchmark.  I haven't crank up the AA nor loaded high resolution add-ons yet though.  I expect that is when it will show its age.

Ted

Ted, I'll certainly let you know.  I should have it installed and my first flight with it by mid-week.  I am anticipating faster and more cleanly rendered scenery as my plane progresses over the terrain  I hear that the 680 series tech on board, is killer.  I'll honestly let you know.

Mitch

I tried upgrading to a 660 series card back in November and I was faced with having to update my BIOS otherwise the card would not take.

Really?!?  I sure hope that I won't encounter that issue. Wish me luck!   Was you PSU rated for the power these cards require?

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

I don't have to wish you luck, it will work!!  My PSU is rated for the newer cards, think it's 850W.  I probably should have tried another brand but I kept going back to my old standby... like I said yours will work.

\Robert Hamlich/

went from 275 to 670 this year, much smoother loading polygon and texture.  275 had less than 1g vram so 2g on 670 helps.  iq can be bumped up and maintain performance.  it was definitely worth it for me.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

went from 275 to 670 this year, much smoother loading polygon and texture.  275 had less than 1g vram so 2g on 670 helps.  iq can be bumped up and maintain performance.  it was definitely worth it for me.

Thank you!  Much obliged.  I'm certainly looking forward to the delivery!

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

I don't have to wish you luck, it will work!!  My PSU is rated for the newer cards, think it's 850W.  I probably should have tried another brand but I kept going back to my old standby... like I said yours will work.

Thanks!  The 285 worked very well.  I want to see no formation-to-crisp textures as I fly over the terrain.  I hope the 680 is the card for that! It certainly brings much tech to the table, over and above the 285....

As dolph has already said, FSX is very much CPU dependent, so don't expect too much. It will most certainly give some superior AA and filtering handling and according to some, superior perfromance in heavy cloud scenarios. But for everyday performance, I doubt whether you'll see the kind of framerate increase you may be expecting. However, every rig is different so who knows...

I certainly intend to keep it (GTX680), and will give my 285 to my son. I run an i975 cpu at a 4.06 GHz overclock, and it has been a stellar FSX runner to date!

Mitch

No doubt the CPU is first and foremost with respect to FSX and HW components however I have been experiencing a far superior appearance with the newer NVIDIA drivers and Imspector combined.

Put all 3 together and it is a marvellous sim and will be until another breakthrough comes along, it's just a matter of time.

\Robert Hamlich/

Ted

Hello Ted,  this is Mitch, post-install  EVGA GTX680....I have only the time right now to say;

OMG!    Holy ****!     I just finished installing, updated the drivers to the latest from nVidia....fired up FSX...went to my default of my custom Las Vegas....and man...it is a NEW WORLD!~    Anybody that says that FSX is mostly CPU dependant...is WRONG!  Dead WRONG!   If you put a top-of-the-line graphics card into the mix supporting that CPU of yours,...you get massive visual performance.  From a 200 series card, to a top of the line 680...is night and day. I will give a much more specific and detailed review, after I have flown around the normal places that I do, ORBX included.  But for now, I will sign off with the statement that it was worth every dollar of the $496.99 that I spent before taxes. Totally worth upgrading my system.  All I can tell you Ted before my review, is that you should not walk...but RUN to the nearest EVGA dealer and buy the exact card I stated I did in my original post. You will sit back and your jaw will drop at the clarity of such things as parking lots with cars parked upon them. Now...at even 1800 feet, I can actually make out each and every car...not just subtle squares of graphic display.    WOW.....wow, and another wow.....  All graphics around Las Vegas are as life-like, and crystal clear the moment you set eyes upon under your wing. No shimmer, no formation, no sharpening in....just THERE..as your eyes would see in the real world as you fly over. Yeeeeeeeeeeehaw!

GTX 680's ROCK!

Review to follow flights.....and usage.

Mitch

I wopuld think going from a 285 to a 680 with a high speed CPU would be a very notable improvement in performance and greatly improved texture quality. Welcome to high performance computing.

I wopuld think going from a 285 to a 680 with a high speed CPU would be a very notable improvement in performance and greatly improved texture quality. Welcome to high performance computing.

Thank you!   My GTX 680 is hooked up to the i7-975 at 4.06 GHz.   You know..I had been reading for over three years, that the GPU does not add a major performance improvement for dollars spent, because FSX is so CPU constipated. That was the major reason that I had not ever upgraded through the 300's,400's,500 series.  I thought I would waste my money.  Well, for anybody reading this, I am here to tell ya, that there is a major improvement in not only visual output, but in frame rates, smoothness, all of it.   I had not adjusted my fsx config one iota between the swap out of the 285 for the 680.  Nothing was changed.  What changed was fabulous output from FSX and metrics, post 680 installation.

Folks, those who have been holding off on a high end 600 series....don't wait any longer.  You will be thrilled with the results from a 200 series as a base comparison----, to the performance that a custom GTX 680 card will give you.

So very satisfied, and that is an understatment!

Mitch

Ted

Good day, Ted,

Ted, I have decided to address you for my review, as I know that many AVSIM clients already have invested in the GTX 680, and I would only be preaching to the choir with them.  They already know what I am about to share with you, but since we both had been running GTX 285's until recently, I'm sure that you will wish to know my experience in having used the EVGA GTX 680 over the last two days.

I can actually make this 'reveiw' short and sweet.  What you will see in amazing clarity that is not being portrayed by the GTX 285 (sorry!)...is graphic details.  There are features of detail like how well the 3d dimensionality of ocean waves and swells is now rendered at any altitude, how clear the suburbs and rural settings are while on the ground, and throughout your climb. In some cases, it is hard to imagine the scene below you is not real, Ted. That is how powerful the Kepler design is, with the 680 not crippled in features (low bin value) as in other lower 600 units.  My graphics card needs one 75 watt connector, and one 150 watt.  In operation, I can hardly hear the fan's output, not like how loud the 285 got in heavy cloud and dense ORBX scenery.  This GTX 680 doesn't even break a sweat in the aforementioned.  Smoothness....smoothness like I have never experienced since having bought FSX when it came out.  Unbelievable smoothness and flow animation. This alone Ted, was worth the money for the card.  So...this was an easy review.  A custom over-clocked by factory GTX 680 blows the GTX 285 not out of the water...but off the freakin planet!

If you want superb display output...if you want ball-bearing smoothness (no stutters, no jerks, no 'anything') if you want real-world clarity in a virtual world....you then are a candidate for a high end GTX 680 by EVGA, ASUS, etc.   This card gives FSX performance in the 'no compromise' category.

End of review.  Back to the Caribbean near Antiqua....  If you enjoy the look and feel of FSX driven by a GTX 285, then you will nearly have a stroke, after your first post GTX 680 flight...  FSX will never be seen as the same beast from then on out.  That is my experience....

Cheers!

Mitch