Sign in to follow this  
capecove

Your standard initial newbie post...

Hello folks... 

I have a bevy of questions, as I have just finished the Homeric epic called the X-Plane 9 install on my iMac with i5 processor and 12 gig of RAM (in Mac OS X).

After what seemed to be hours, I have got her up and running. Neat looking so far, glad I finally decided to install it.

I have had the 6 DVD set for some time but chose not to install it since I have always been a hardcore MSFS9x (FS2004) guy. So much so that I have spent hundreds of dollars on add-ons. This was back when I was younger, more foolish, and richer. :)

Regardless, I got tired of rebooting my machine into the Windows XP Bootcamp partition so I gave this a go. Like I said, I have enjoyed several facets thus far.

However, I am plagued with a few issues that are annoying the heck out of me.

First and foremost, I am a huge fan of "virtual cockpits" in FS9, which seem to be the same (or similar to) 3-D cockpits in X-Plane. I was glad to see that I have the option to use the 3-D cockpit. HOWEVER, I really need/want to back out on the panel some. Geez, I feel as though somebody is shoving me from behind into the windscreen. Is there any way to "move the seat back" so-to-speak? In MSFS I would simply "zoom out", but that command is doing nothing in the Cessna 172SP.

Next, I would like add-on scenery for Oregon, the western U.S., the mid-west, etc. I prefer freeware for now (as all of my lucrative financial days are behind me!), but would consider payware, should all of you suggest it highly enough.

Third... Add-on GA aircraft... I'm a prop head, any suggestions on where to find GA aircraft, like Maules, more Cessnas (177RG?), Gippsland GA8, Pipers, etc.? Again, preferably freeware. 

Thanks for trying to get me settled in here, I am enjoying X-Plane 9 right now and hope to make it my first choice sim in the near future.

capecove, on 23 Mar 2013 - 08:33, said:

Thanks for trying to get me settled in here, I am enjoying X-Plane 9 right now and hope to make it my first choice sim in the near future

There's an option in the Rendering Options; Lateral-Field-Of-View, you can increase of decrease the value to your preference.

For GA you can check out Carenado, X-Aviation or Jason Chandler

Carenado:

http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Portal/index.php

X-Aviation:

http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/xplane-aircraft-c-21.html

Jason Chandler:

http://c74.net/xplane/_piper.html

For XP9 scenery:

http://theosdavis.com/xpfiles/downloads_v9.html

As a suggestion: Don't spend too much on XP9 and save for XP10, you won't regret it.

Most XP9 aircraft if not all, do work with XP10 so no loss there, but I think scenery won't.

Also make sure you download, install and then update XP9 using the latest installer.

http://www.x-plane.com/downloads/older/

Carlos

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

On my Windows machine the page up/page down arrows will zoom in 3d cockpit. The arrow keys will adjust other positions. If you have a hat switch button, go to Settings -> Joystick & equipment. Choose the tab Buttons adv.

To assign panning to the hat switch button: Press in the direction you want to assign, for instance left. Now choose views, then pan_left_fast. Repeat for the different directions. You might also choose a button to center the view. 

Thanks Carlos,

After pretty much switching over the XP10, one of my frustrations has been feeling pushed up against the panel.  By adjusting the Lateral-Field-Of-View from the default 6 to 7, I find it a lot more plausible   Thanks for this tip.

John

John Wingold

Thanks for this tip.

Glad to help John.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I wanted to thank everyone for your guidance. I appreciate your time and information.

Have a splendid rest of your week...